Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Call your shot

(04-11-2022, 10:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 09:16 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: It makes no sense to me to draft a WR that isn't better than the ones you already have.  Specifically, we need a speed guy that can play on the outside, preferably a tall one.  We don't need another possession receiver.  If they draft one of these slower possession type guys, that tells me that Shenault and/or Marvin are gone.  Shenault is the one likely to be traded, imo.  And they may be looking to save Marvin's salary.  But i think that's less likely.

Just draft a fast X, man.  And don't get cute with it.  I think that's what I fear most.  Baalke thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and drafting guys based on traits that he likes to project.  Just find the guys with proven performance AND the traits/combine stats that match.  Don't overthink it.

I don't think we have any speed receivers or possession receivers as it stands now. At least not good ones. Personally, if it were me, I draft 2 outside speed receivers and one big possession receiver. The only receiver we have now that I would consider a lock to be a starter, is Christian Kirk. Laviska Shenault and Marvin Jones should be gone. They did nothing last season to prove they belong here.

To be clear -  you want Baalke/Pederson to draft THREE wide receivers in the 2022 draft??

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2022, 01:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 10:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think we have any speed receivers or possession receivers as it stands now. At least not good ones. Personally, if it were me, I draft 2 outside speed receivers and one big possession receiver. The only receiver we have now that I would consider a lock to be a starter, is Christian Kirk. Laviska Shenault and Marvin Jones should be gone. They did nothing last season to prove they belong here.

To be clear -  you want Baalke/Pederson to draft THREE wide receivers in the 2022 draft??

If we were to miraculously trade up into the first round and select either Jameson Williams, Drake London, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson or even Jahan Dotson, then I would only advocate drafting one more receiver later in the draft. I'm assuming that isn't gonna happen though. Our current WR's are so bad, they couldn't even run simple routes last season without running into one another and we only added an average slot receiver and a guy who shouldn't even crack the starting lineup in free agency, if we have anything resembling a decent WR squad. WR is our worst position group by a mile. We need to try and hit on some sleepers, if we're not gonna move up and grab one of the top guys. After those top 5 WR's, the talent level drops off very sharply and the guys that are left are all hit or miss. I'd absolutely draft 3 WR's, if we're not trading up. I also spend a 2nd day pick on a TE, since they are a big part of Pederson's offensive scheme. Engram is only on a one year deal, so we must find our franchise guy for the future. We HAVE TO find Trevor some viable receivers, be it WR or TE. Last year was flat out embarrassing, because we had the worst receivers in the NFL, bar none and Trevor suffered for it. 

Personally, if we won't trade up for a WR, I'm probably using those 2nd day picks to address Center, TE and ILB, depending on who is the BAP at the time. You never know who might unexpectedly drop to you. I probably wouldn't draft a WR until round 4, because I see little to no difference between the WR's who will probably be taken in round 2 and the ones taken in rounds 4, 5 and 6. I might take one in each of those rounds or take multiple receivers in round 5. Who knows? It just depends on how the board falls.

There is a lot of talk from teams and the media about edge players, Wide receivers etc. What if after all said and done the run is on offensive linemen...say out of 32 first round picks 14 are the O-Line?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I'm not feeling so good about my call after seeing Linderbaum's pro day haha.

(04-12-2022, 11:10 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm not feeling so good about my call after seeing Linderbaum's pro day haha.

He had an amazing Pro Day and he even gained 10 lbs.

(04-12-2022, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 01:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To be clear -  you want Baalke/Pederson to draft THREE wide receivers in the 2022 draft??

If we were to miraculously trade up into the first round and select either Jameson Williams, Drake London, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson or even Jahan Dotson, then I would only advocate drafting one more receiver later in the draft. I'm assuming that isn't gonna happen though. Our current WR's are so bad, they couldn't even run simple routes last season without running into one another and we only added an average slot receiver and a guy who shouldn't even crack the starting lineup in free agency, if we have anything resembling a decent WR squad. WR is our worst position group by a mile. We need to try and hit on some sleepers, if we're not gonna move up and grab one of the top guys. After those top 5 WR's, the talent level drops off very sharply and the guys that are left are all hit or miss. I'd absolutely draft 3 WR's, if we're not trading up. I also spend a 2nd day pick on a TE, since they are a big part of Pederson's offensive scheme. Engram is only on a one year deal, so we must find our franchise guy for the future. We HAVE TO find Trevor some viable receivers, be it WR or TE. Last year was flat out embarrassing, because we had the worst receivers in the NFL, bar none and Trevor suffered for it. 

Personally, if we won't trade up for a WR, I'm probably using those 2nd day picks to address Center, TE and ILB, depending on who is the BAP at the time. You never know who might unexpectedly drop to you. I probably wouldn't draft a WR until round 4, because I see little to no difference between the WR's who will probably be taken in round 2 and the ones taken in rounds 4, 5 and 6. I might take one in each of those rounds or take multiple receivers in round 5. Who knows? It just depends on how the board falls.

Clay Harbor wants a word with you:

https://twitter.com/clayharbs82/status/1...K28O6RItmQ

I think M Jones is at the end of his rope too, but he may have a little production left IMO. Not as doom-and-gloom as you are on it. 

Also - as much as you want to downplay it - we didn't have a single receiver last year who got open as much as Kirk did in Ariz. during the same span. He's an upgrade even if you want to "average-him-to-death" in your comments. 

Arnold+Engram at TE are also a factor in all of this as Z.Jones and Kirk possess enough speed to clear out the underneath for these two to work against mismatches. 

I want to see an X guy added, but I'm not seeing the sky falling at WR.  It's just sort-of a middle of the pack collection right now.
Biggest factor in all of this will be the play design and play calling. Expect RPO, play-action, and run game to cleverly set up pass opportunities we didn't see created last year.  

My shot well..Jaguars won't select a WR until day 3.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 02:00 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-13-2022, 12:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we were to miraculously trade up into the first round and select either Jameson Williams, Drake London, Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson or even Jahan Dotson, then I would only advocate drafting one more receiver later in the draft. I'm assuming that isn't gonna happen though. Our current WR's are so bad, they couldn't even run simple routes last season without running into one another and we only added an average slot receiver and a guy who shouldn't even crack the starting lineup in free agency, if we have anything resembling a decent WR squad. WR is our worst position group by a mile. We need to try and hit on some sleepers, if we're not gonna move up and grab one of the top guys. After those top 5 WR's, the talent level drops off very sharply and the guys that are left are all hit or miss. I'd absolutely draft 3 WR's, if we're not trading up. I also spend a 2nd day pick on a TE, since they are a big part of Pederson's offensive scheme. Engram is only on a one year deal, so we must find our franchise guy for the future. We HAVE TO find Trevor some viable receivers, be it WR or TE. Last year was flat out embarrassing, because we had the worst receivers in the NFL, bar none and Trevor suffered for it. 

Clay Harbor wants a word with you:

I think M Jones is at the end of his rope too, but he may have a little production left IMO. Not as doom-and-gloom as you are on it. 

Also - as much as you want to downplay it - we didn't have a single receiver last year who got open as much as Kirk did in Ariz. during the same span. He's an upgrade even if you want to "average-him-to-death" in your comments. 

Arnold+Engram at TE are also a factor in all of this as Z.Jones and Kirk possess enough speed to clear out the underneath for these two to work against mismatches. 

I want to see an X guy added, but I'm not seeing the sky falling at WR.  It's just sort-of a middle of the pack collection right now.
Biggest factor in all of this will be the play design and play calling. Expect RPO, play-action, and run game to cleverly set up pass opportunities we didn't see created last year.  

All I know is that DeAndre Hopkins only played 10 games last season and the only other WR the Cardinals had to really compete with Kirk for catches was an old, broke down, shell of what he used to be in A.J. Green. Kirk had a perfect opportunity to step up and prove that he could be "the guy" in that offense and he couldn't do it. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't good either. He just is what he is, an average slot receiver. He's not a difference maker. If he was, he would've shown that last season when he was supposed to be the main receiver for half the season and instead he only managed a hundred yards and change more than A.J. Green, who played 1 less game and is so bad, he's still a free agent, because everyone knows his tank is empty. Kirk may very well be an upgrade, but it's not enough of an upgrade to even move the needle. 

I agree that Engram should play a large role in the offense. I'm not a huge fan of Arnold though. He had a lot of drops and fumbles in the short time he played with us. Take that into account along with the fact that Engram has only had one season where he played a full schedule (2020) and he's only on a 1 year deal. We need help at TE. 

As far as Zay Jones, I don't care how fast he is. His speed has never translated into consistency. His career high is is a measly 652 yards receiving and that was back in 2018. That tells me he can't get open. As far as why he can't get open, I don't know. I've never paid that much attention to him, because he's been such a non-factor as an NFL receiver. He's played with 2 pretty good QB's in Allen and Carr, so he can't use having bad QB's as am excuse. 

I have no clue how anyone could call what we have now, "middle of the road" WR's. This is the 2nd worst group in the NFL after Atlanta. We don't even have RB's to rely on since Robinson will most likely miss time coming off ACL surgery and Etienne may never be the same after Lisfranc surgery. I'm just being a realist.

(04-13-2022, 01:43 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: My shot well..Jaguars won't select a WR until day 3.

I could see that. There's not much difference between the WR's who fall to round 2 and 3 and the ones that will be available on day 3 anyway.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 07:43 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I think Ridder is the best QB in this weak class. He seems to get the least amount of mentions though I have seen that picking up some lately. Anyway, I have a feeling he will go higher than expected.

We take George Pickens or Christian Watson at 33 and get our WR1

(04-14-2022, 07:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We take George Pickens or Christian Watson at 33 and get our WR1

George Pickens is far from a #1 receiver.

My non-Jags shot:  Carolina reaches for a QB at #6.

My Jags shot:  Jags do not draft an offensive weapon until Day 3.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Jags go defense with first two picks. Hutch and a linebacker.

(04-05-2022, 12:41 PM)enigma Wrote: We take Kayvon Thibodeaux at #1.

This is my "bold" prediction but I have KT rated as the BEST pass rusher in this class bar none and haven't backed away even with Hutchinson's rise according to some.

Honestly I think this is right. A prospect is number 1 all year then analysts overthink it at the last minute.

I won’t be sad about Hutch at all, but I don’t think he will be elite at the next level.

(04-14-2022, 09:44 PM)rufftime Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 12:41 PM)enigma Wrote: We take Kayvon Thibodeaux at #1.

This is my "bold" prediction but I have KT rated as the BEST pass rusher in this class bar none and haven't backed away even with Hutchinson's rise according to some.

Honestly I think this is right.  A prospect is number 1 all year then analysts overthink it at the last minute. 

I won’t be sad about Hutch at all, but I don’t think he will be elite at the next level.

I think Thibs falls a bit.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 08:41 AM by Mikey.)

(04-14-2022, 07:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 07:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We take George Pickens or Christian Watson at 33 and get our WR1

George Pickens is far from a #1 receiver.

not your shot to call.

(04-14-2022, 09:53 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 09:44 PM)rufftime Wrote: Honestly I think this is right.  A prospect is number 1 all year then analysts overthink it at the last minute. 

I think Thibs falls a bit.

...always seems to be at least one guy who does, and I can see this as plausible.

(04-13-2022, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 12:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Clay Harbor wants a word with you:

All I know is that DeAndre Hopkins only played 10 games last season and the only other WR the Cardinals had to really compete with Kirk for catches was an old, broke down, shell of what he used to be in A.J. Green. Kirk had a perfect opportunity to step up and prove that he could be "the guy" in that offense and he couldn't do it. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't good either. He just is what he is, an average slot receiver. He's not a difference maker. If he was, he would've shown that last season when he was supposed to be the main receiver for half the season and instead he only managed a hundred yards and change more than A.J. Green, who played 1 less game and is so bad, he's still a free agent, because everyone knows his tank is empty. Kirk may very well be an upgrade, but it's not enough of an upgrade to even move the needle. 

I agree that Engram should play a large role in the offense. I'm not a huge fan of Arnold though. He had a lot of drops and fumbles in the short time he played with us. Take that into account along with the fact that Engram has only had one season where he played a full schedule (2020) and he's only on a 1 year deal. We need help at TE. 

As far as Zay Jones, I don't care how fast he is. His speed has never translated into consistency. His career high is is a measly 652 yards receiving and that was back in 2018. That tells me he can't get open. As far as why he can't get open, I don't know. I've never paid that much attention to him, because he's been such a non-factor as an NFL receiver. He's played with 2 pretty good QB's in Allen and Carr, so he can't use having bad QB's as am excuse. 

I have no clue how anyone could call what we have now, "middle of the road" WR's. This is the 2nd worst group in the NFL after Atlanta. We don't even have RB's to rely on since Robinson will most likely miss time coming off ACL surgery and Etienne may never be the same after Lisfranc surgery. I'm just being a realist.

You like to draw false conclusions by making assumptions after "analyzing" an insufficient amount of statistical data. 
There are many variables left conveniently out of your explanations of why you have no faith in either receiver. 

The tape on Kirk and Jones refutes your doom-&-gloom bluster.

The 4 photos below taken at the moment Jones is receiving the ball illustrate how open he is on 80% of the targets on his 2021 tape. You should watch the cut-up sometime and educate yourself on the player. 

[Image: Jones-cant-get-open...59c4a2a809a1e861.png]

(04-15-2022, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: All I know is that DeAndre Hopkins only played 10 games last season and the only other WR the Cardinals had to really compete with Kirk for catches was an old, broke down, shell of what he used to be in A.J. Green. Kirk had a perfect opportunity to step up and prove that he could be "the guy" in that offense and he couldn't do it. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't good either. He just is what he is, an average slot receiver. He's not a difference maker. If he was, he would've shown that last season when he was supposed to be the main receiver for half the season and instead he only managed a hundred yards and change more than A.J. Green, who played 1 less game and is so bad, he's still a free agent, because everyone knows his tank is empty. Kirk may very well be an upgrade, but it's not enough of an upgrade to even move the needle. 

You like to draw false conclusions by making assumptions after "analyzing" an insufficient amount of statistical data. 

Didn’t Kyler miss games during that span too?

(04-15-2022, 11:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-15-2022, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You like to draw false conclusions by making assumptions after "analyzing" an insufficient amount of statistical data. 

Didn’t Kyler miss games during that span too?

Murray missed 3 games last year. In those 3 games, the Cardinals went 2-1 with Colt McCoy as the starter.