Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Allen

(06-08-2022, 07:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 06:42 PM)johnnywynter Wrote: Why does Josh get such a pass from the local media? Is it because he had a good rookie season when teamed with 2 other really good pass rushers? He had 7.5 sacks last year and 10 games with zero sacks. I just watched Osher and Sexton talk about Arden Key like he's a backup that you shouldn't expect too much out of, but he had a much better second half of the season last year than JA. I hope Josh has a good year this year because he has a lot of draft capital invested in him, but Travon Walker wasn't brought in to bolster Josh Allen's pass rush. He was brought in to be a legit 15 sack a year guy which Josh is not. Before any homers come in to flame, I believe Josh is a versatile football player but he gets credit like he's a Bosa brother or Khalil Mack type player and he's not.

Calming down after releasing a string of expletives caused by technical issues that ovvurred without warning in the middle of my response to you.

Let me try this again.

Earlier, I echoed the argument that Allen had little to no help around him on defense, and that was compounded by him not having the luxury of playing with a lot of leads.

While you are probably too young to appreciate the historical examples I am citing to you, hopefully you will understand the point I am making.

Quite possibly the greatest defense of all time were the 1970s Steelers-known as the Steel Curtain.  They won 4 Super Bowls in a 6 year period.  Defensively, they had 6 Hall of Fame caliber players on defense, including:

DL Mean Joe Greene
DL L.C. Greenwood
LB Jack Lambert
LB Jack Ham
CB Mel Blount
S Donnie Shell

This doesn't even factor in 5 other Hall of Famers they had on offense.

QB Terry Bradshaw
RB Franco Harris
WR Lynn Swann
WR John Stallworth
C Mike Webster

Another candidate for the greatest defense of all time was the 1985 Bears defense, which featured three Hall of Famers and several other Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber players:

DE Richard Dent
DL Dan Hampton
DT Steve McMichael
LB Otis Wilson
LB Mike Singletary
LB Wilber Marshall
S Gary Fencik

On top of that, they had a defensive coordinator who had a scheme-called the 46 defense-that befuddled opposing offenses for the first half of the 1980s-coached by arguably the greatest Defensive coordinator of all time, Buddy Ryan.

Another candidate for greatest defense of all time was the 2000 Ravens.

That defense teatured stalwarts like

DE Michael McCrary
DT Tony Siragusa
DT Sam Adams
DE Rob Burnett
LB Peter Boulware
LB Ray Lewis
S Rod Woodson
CB Chris McAlister

The 2002 Tampa defense offered

DE Simeon Rice
DT Warren Sapp
LB Derrick Brooks
CB Ronde Barber
S John Lynch

Among others

The Legion of Boom Seahawks?

LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
CB Richard Sherman
SS Kam Chancellor
FS Earl Thomas

From a pure football oerspective, there are at least 4 Hall of Fame candidates in that group.

Even if you haven't seen any of these guys play, if you go to profootballreference.com and look them up, you will se most of the plaeyers I listed above were pretty good if not great.

When considering the issues you posed above, ask yourself a few questions:

1.  Does Josh Allen currently have anyone opposite him on the defense that comes close to any of the guys listed above?

2.  Has Josh Allen played in a scheme that consistently allowed him to excel?

3.  Would any of those defenses listed above be considered among the best defenses ever if they didn't all have Hall of Fame caliber players feeding off each other and preventing opposing offenses from focusing their attention on one player?

Moral of the story:  The best players on the best defenses usally have good to great players surrounding them that enables them to shine.  When Josh Allen had a defense his rookie year that came close to replicating that, Josh Allen played statistically his best ball.  When those surrounding players left, Allen had nobody to take attention away from him, and that hurt his productivity.

Well Damn. Somebody just got Skoold...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Messages In This Thread
Josh Allen - by johnnywynter - 06-07-2022, 06:42 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by RicoTx - 06-07-2022, 06:44 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by johnnywynter - 06-07-2022, 07:06 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by RicoTx - 06-07-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by NH3 - 06-08-2022, 06:49 AM
RE: Josh Allen - by Jag88 - 06-07-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by NYC4jags - 06-07-2022, 07:37 PM
RE: Josh Allen - by Bullseye - 06-08-2022, 07:04 PM