Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Go EV? Not me... those things are dangerous just sitting around.....

(07-15-2022, 06:49 AM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 06:28 PM)Jags Wrote: There are some decent battery powered stuff out there.  For instance, look at all the cool power tools!!!  I’ve actually used a battery powered chainsaw.  It lacked power compared to a Stihl, but for the homeowner, it worked flawlessly.   I was impressed.  All the battery powered stuff is geared to the homeowner.  Which is fine.  I don’t blame them.  But doing what I do, I can not fathom having to use one.  And the mower being that expensive?!??? Now, 7k for a mower that is not commercial grade??? That seems steep!  But like FSG said, I guess you can mow at 6am without upsetting the neighbors.  I know you’re in a different situation though. More lawn, no neighbors.  

Btw, when you cleared your land, did you buy or rent the equipment? Or hire that out?   I was looking at various pieces and then came across people that said to just rent it. Curious as to your thoughts as you’ve done this before..

I bought most of the equipment including a skid steer, a few tractors, chain saws, stump grinder, log splitter, etc.  I did hire some stuff out as far as trimming some trees and digging up some large stumps.

I’ve been doing my research and oddly enough, the large stumps were what prompted my question.  Good to know.  Thanks for the reply.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Another good reason to stay away from EV's.

The batteries could cost more than the value of the vehicle and in some cases replacement batteries may not be available.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2022, 12:54 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

(07-10-2022, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 01:52 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Aren't some companies trying to design them to replace battery for a reduced price, and then recycle the battery materials?

Replacing a battery is pretty easy.  The battery pack in an EV is actually a couple hundred smaller battery cells and the cells are often compatible from one manufacturer to another.
Recycling is only a problem because it's not profitable at this time.  It's still cheaper to mine new lithium than it is to recycle old lithium.  This isn't a big deal though.
Landfill waste is by far the least of our environmental problems, and lithium batteries aren't much of a risk in terms of toxicity.

There are so many broad statements in this post that I feel the need to comment.

Hybrid battery replacement is NOT easy. Yes, they are made up of 1.5V battery cells, but the battery pack case is not easy to get open (to refurbish), and is dangerous when doing so. For outright replacement, you swap out the hi voltage pack with a new one, which is usually in some inaccesible place in the back and requires quite a bit of work and safety to do it right. ( I owned a Honda Civic hybrid for 10 years and went thru this entire process twice, both replacing the battery pack outright and refurbishing an old battery pack with new 1.5V batteries). Maybe electric cars are more pop-out and pop-in battery friendly now, but that isn't what i've read.

Agreed that recycling might be easier as the volume of recycled batteries increases, but how is recycling in general working for us now? estimates are that only 9% of paper in recycle bins actually gets recycled. I dont have a figure for plastic/glass/metal/aluminum, but i bet it isnt 100% or anywhere near it. Touting recycling as a benefit is many times just a talking point that can never be fully realized.

I would respectfully disagree with you that landfill waste is the least of our problems, and it will only worsen by adding this load of EV batteries. You always have to get rid of the byproducts of progress somewhere, and these are the talking points that the Green New Deal people conveniently ignore. Of course, ground pollution wont warm the atmosphere I suppose, but it'll probably poison the aquifers. Pick your poison.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Girl's Electric Car Needs New Battery but It's More Expensive Than Vehicle Itself - Then She Gets Even Worse News

As more Americans buy electric vehicles, the pitfalls of owning such a car become clear, and one teenager in Florida just discovered a major problem firsthand.

https://www.westernjournal.com/girls-ele...eG8gu97yTc
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!