Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Arizona To Become The Nation’s ‘Gold Standard For School Choice

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 09:36 AM by The Drifter.)

This is much needed nationwide the way some (not all) of our school systems are failing....... Especially the ones in the inner cities.......

Not only would this make different schools compete for students, it would improve the quality of education that each student would receive.......

Arizona To Become The Nation’s ‘Gold Standard For School Choice,’ Passing Universal Bill For One Million Students 

Arizona lawmakers passed a groundbreaking bill last week allowing the State’s 1.1 million students — from kindergarten to high school graduation — access to a school of their choice.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/arizona-t...avC-9pW57M
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Florida and a few other states are actually ahead of Arizona on this.
School choice is great for urban and suburban areas. In rural areas it simply doesn't work because the schools are just too far apart to meaningfully compete with each other. Rural areas may need some extra attention going forward to make sure those kids aren't left behind as education improves elsewhere.
Another development that might be less positive is virtual schooling. More and more kids and parents are opting for that, and the early indications are its outcomes are mediocre.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Choice and competition is ALWAYS a good thing. Private industry ALWAYS does a better job than government. The failure of pure Communism around the World attests to this.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-30-2022, 10:36 AM)mikesez Wrote: I think Florida and a few other states are actually ahead of Arizona on this.
School choice is great for urban and suburban areas.  In rural areas it simply doesn't work because the schools are just too far apart to meaningfully compete with each other.  Rural areas may need some extra attention going forward to make sure those kids aren't left behind as education improves elsewhere.
Another development that might be less positive is virtual schooling.  More and more kids and parents are opting for that, and the early indications are its outcomes are mediocre.

Mediocre huh, vs public schools? Care to provide a link for you BS?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-30-2022, 10:36 AM)mikesez Wrote: I think Florida and a few other states are actually ahead of Arizona on this.
School choice is great for urban and suburban areas.  In rural areas it simply doesn't work because the schools are just too far apart to meaningfully compete with each other.  Rural areas may need some extra attention going forward to make sure those kids aren't left behind as education improves elsewhere.
Another development that might be less positive is virtual schooling.  More and more kids and parents are opting for that, and the early indications are its outcomes are mediocre.

(06-30-2022, 11:35 AM)Ronster Wrote: Mediocre huh, vs public schools? Care to provide a link for you BS?

It's probably true. Online learning requires a lot more dedication from the kid and parents. It would work for a select few but most it will not be good for.

Now if parents are involved, homeschooling is great but you can't just sit the kid in front of a computer and learn. Hopefully laws are passed soon where parents can take their money and use it on homeschooling instead of paying taxes to schools that are failing.

(06-30-2022, 12:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

(06-30-2022, 11:35 AM)Ronster Wrote: Mediocre huh, vs public schools? Care to provide a link for you BS?

It's probably true. Online learning requires a lot more dedication from the kid and parents. It would work for a select few but most it will not be good for.

Now if parents are involved, homeschooling is great but you can't just sit the kid in front of a computer and learn. Hopefully laws are passed soon where parents can take their money and use it on homeschooling instead of paying taxes to schools that are failing.

I was thinking of the homeschooling thing vs public schools... We have homeschooled my 13 year old for the last 6 years and its been great for him. We want him to go back to school this year coming up, but not public school...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-30-2022, 01:03 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 12:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It's probably true. Online learning requires a lot more dedication from the kid and parents. It would work for a select few but most it will not be good for.

I was thinking of the homeschooling thing vs public schools... We have homeschooled my 13 year old for the last 6 years and its been great for him. We want him to go back to school this year coming up, but not public school...

I feel odd speaking up for Mike but he did say the mediocre outcome was regarding virtual schooling. This is a copy of what he wrote. Maybe read all the words.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 04:23 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

I remember back in the day that the big concern against homeschooling was that your children were going to lack social interaction skills. I wonder how much of that argument has now fallen by the wayside with online education and the rise of social media. In fact, a family that wants to homeschool their kids most likely is trying to avoid the type of interaction that occurs in public schools these days. Bonus: they run zero risk of dying in a school shooting.

The only way to get a corrupt public school system's attention is to threaten their existence with defunding. If that occurs because they are not the best choice for a parent and their kids, then so be it. Get back in the basic business of education and not indoctrination, and maybe you'll survive. They've had a free ride for too long.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-30-2022, 04:17 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I remember back in the day that the big concern against homeschooling was that your children were going to lack social interaction skills. I wonder how much of that argument has now fallen by the wayside with online education and the rise of social media. In fact, a family that wants to homeschool their kids most likely is trying to avoid the type of interaction that occurs in public schools these days. Bonus: they run zero risk of dying in a school shooting.

The only way to get a corrupt public school system's attention is to threaten their existence with defunding. If that occurs because they are not the best choice for a parent and their kids, then so be it. Get back in the basic business of education and not indoctrination, and maybe you'll survive. They've had a free ride for too long.
Hopefully the other options don't raise their costs now that everyone has guaranteed amount to pay the school. If it stays the same, teachers paid well, and students get lots of learning activities with the additional funding, the teacher unions will be shut down and federal agency can be closed.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk