Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Words to remember from the 4th of July

(07-06-2022, 08:35 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 02:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because border instability and a crushing number of new government dependants achieves the chaos needed to end America.

Why would a rich and privileged person in this country want to end the system that created and sustains his wealth and privilege? Don't they know what happens to the very wealthy when their country participates in wars and revolutions? Regime change is the great leveler.

(07-06-2022, 04:12 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Before accepting new immigrants as a cure for the "labor shortage", wouldn't it first be prudent to understand the problem, the magnitude and why it exists?  Is there a shortage of people, or of people willing to work?  If too many are simply living off the government now, how will an increase in the labor force incentive their return to work?

The Covid relief stuff is long over.  Anyone who could be working but isn't now is living off of either their savings or their family, and more power to them in both cases.

Haha. Dude, you kill me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-06-2022, 04:12 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Before accepting new immigrants as a cure for the "labor shortage", wouldn't it first be prudent to understand the problem, the magnitude and why it exists?  Is there a shortage of people, or of people willing to work?  If too many are simply living off the government now, how will an increase in the labor force incentive their return to work?

The Covid relief stuff is long over.  Anyone who could be working but isn't now is living off of either their savings or their family, and more power to them in both cases.

Does standing on a street corner asking for money meet your definition of "working"?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-06-2022, 09:33 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Does standing on a street corner asking for money meet your definition of "working"?

Has there been a substantial increase in panhandlers? Looks about the same to me.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-06-2022, 09:49 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 09:33 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Does standing on a street corner asking for money meet your definition of "working"?

Has there been a substantial increase in panhandlers? Looks about the same to me.

I saw two on the corner of Atlantic and Hodges last week.  That's twice as many as I've ever seen at that particular location.

But to be slightly more serious, yes, the numbers do appear to be increasing.

I'm in downtown Orlando a lot, and the number of panhandlers went down during covid but now it's back to what it was before.

Treating symptoms is not treating the problem it's just masking it.

(07-06-2022, 09:54 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 09:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: Has there been a substantial increase in panhandlers? Looks about the same to me.

I saw two on the corner of Atlantic and Hodges last week.  That's twice as many as I've ever seen at that particular location.

No Panhandling by Statute signs have gone up in the Metro areas where I commute and those shanty towns around the I-95 exits have been torn down. All those bums are moving to the suburbs of East Arlington now. Passed what must've been 40 or so plodding all along 3rd street at the beach from JTB to Neptune Beach, then there were at least a dozen camped out at the Walgreens at Atlantic Blvd. That was an hour ago at 11:30pm.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-07-2022, 12:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 09:54 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I saw two on the corner of Atlantic and Hodges last week.  That's twice as many as I've ever seen at that particular location.

No Panhandling by Statute signs have gone up in the Metro areas where I commute and those shanty towns around the I-95 exits have been torn down. All those bums are moving to the suburbs of East Arlington now. Passed what must've been 40 or so plodding all along 3rd street at the beach from JTB to Neptune Beach, then there were at least a dozen camped out at the Walgreens at Atlantic Blvd. That was an hour ago at 11:30pm.

Bums???  Mikesez claims they're all independently wealthy and living off their savings.

(07-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No Panhandling by Statute signs have gone up in the Metro areas where I commute and those shanty towns around the I-95 exits have been torn down. All those bums are moving to the suburbs of East Arlington now. Passed what must've been 40 or so plodding all along 3rd street at the beach from JTB to Neptune Beach, then there were at least a dozen camped out at the Walgreens at Atlantic Blvd. That was an hour ago at 11:30pm.

Bums???  Mikesez claims they're all independently wealthy and living off their savings.

Mikesez doesn't see them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-07-2022, 07:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Bums???  Mikesez claims they're all independently wealthy and living off their savings.

Mikesez doesn't see them.

I wish I could do something to help him see them.  Do you know where he lives?  We could split the cost of the shuttlebus.

(07-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No Panhandling by Statute signs have gone up in the Metro areas where I commute and those shanty towns around the I-95 exits have been torn down. All those bums are moving to the suburbs of East Arlington now. Passed what must've been 40 or so plodding all along 3rd street at the beach from JTB to Neptune Beach, then there were at least a dozen camped out at the Walgreens at Atlantic Blvd. That was an hour ago at 11:30pm.

That's not what I said.  I said the missing workers might be those things.
The number of bums on the street seems to be about the same as it was before the pandemic.  There are a lot of them, but there were a lot during the Trump years as well.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2022, 09:10 PM by Lucky2Last.)

Panhandling has increased nationwide by 43% in the last 10 years. It's increased in FL in the last 2 years. I can't find a good timeline. Also, I don't have a dog in this fight other than to say Mike is wrong about the increase. Not even sure you guys are barking up the right tree here.

Up 7% in Jacksonville from last year.

Here's an article about Illinois:

https://www.wjol.com/covid-19-pandemic-l...is-nation/

(07-07-2022, 08:22 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Bums???  Mikesez claims they're all independently wealthy and living off their savings.

That's not what I said.  I said the missing workers might be those things.
The number of bums on the street seems to be about the same as it was before the pandemic.  There are a lot of them, but there were a lot during the Trump years as well.

Post # 23, "Anyone who could be working but isn't now is living either off of their savings or their family......"

Can you ever comment on any problem that exists under this administration without mentioning Trump?

It's actually really difficult to find good data on panhandling specifically, but it's hard to find a major city in FL that hasn't seen a big increase since the pandemic.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2022, 09:40 PM by mikesez.)

(07-07-2022, 09:07 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Panhandling has increased nationwide by 43% in the last 10 years. It's increased in FL in the last 2 years. I can't find a good timeline. Also, I don't have a dog in this fight other than to say Mike is wrong about the increase. Not even sure you guys are barking up the right tree here.

Up 7% in Jacksonville from last year.

Here's an article about Illinois:

https://www.wjol.com/covid-19-pandemic-l...is-nation/

Illinois might have seen an increase in late 2020 and early 2021 when that article was written.  But I don't remember seeing that in Orlando.  What I'm seeing in Orlando was very little panhandling up until about 2 months ago.  Before, I would see a lot of the same faces but they wouldn't ask for anything.  As of about 2 months ago there are a lot of new faces and they ask for money.  

Anyhow the economy is missing over a million workers.  There aren't nearly that many new people panhandling in the US.

(07-07-2022, 09:10 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 08:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's not what I said.  I said the missing workers might be those things.

Post # 23, "Anyone who could be working but isn't now is living either off of their savings or their family......"

Can you ever comment on any problem that exists under this administration without mentioning Trump?

Just using him as a time reference here.  Be less sensitive, you'll live longer.

(07-07-2022, 09:10 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 08:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's not what I said.  I said the missing workers might be those things.

You already know the answer.

(07-07-2022, 09:17 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's actually really difficult to find good data on panhandling specifically, but it's hard to find a major city in FL that hasn't seen a big increase since the pandemic.

I think there's been a big increase everywhere, not just in Florida.  I was in Las Vegas last week, no shortage of them there.  Here they seem to be expanding to new intersections all the time.

(07-06-2022, 09:54 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 09:49 PM)mikesez Wrote: Has there been a substantial increase in panhandlers? Looks about the same to me.

so it increased by one.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

... which brings us back to the question, with unemployment at an all time low, what do we do about the labor shortage? I say, let in more legal immigrants who want to work. That's what built this country in the first place.

(07-08-2022, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: ... which brings us back to the question, with unemployment at an all time low, what do we do about the labor shortage?  I say, let in more legal immigrants who want to work.  That's what built this country in the first place.

Agreed. Close and seal the border, expel the illegals, then restart legal, vetted immigration. Combine that with drastic reductions in welfare benefits and we'll have no shortage of workers.