Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Words to remember from the 4th of July

(07-08-2022, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: ... which brings us back to the question, with unemployment at an all time low, what do we do about the labor shortage?  I say, let in more legal immigrants who want to work.  That's what built this country in the first place.

Agreed. Close and seal the border, expel the illegals, then restart legal, vetted immigration. Combine that with drastic reductions in welfare benefits and we'll have no shortage of workers.

Stopping illegal immigration is a good idea.  Expelling 11 million illegal immigrants is impossible.  And doing all that before letting in any more legal immigrants would leave us with a worker shortage and resulting stagflation for many years.  We need to let in more legal immigrants now.  

Besides, even if we could expel all the illegals, why would we have to do that before we let in more legal immigrants?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Allow more legal immigration and expel the lazies and crazies.

(07-07-2022, 09:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 09:10 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Post # 23, "Anyone who could be working but isn't now is living either off of their savings or their family......"

Can you ever comment on any problem that exists under this administration without mentioning Trump?

Just using him as a time reference here.  Be less sensitive, you'll live longer.

I've noticed you never use Obama or Clinton as a time reference.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022, 08:32 AM by Lucky2Last.)

(07-08-2022, 07:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Agreed. Close and seal the border, expel the illegals, then restart legal, vetted immigration. Combine that with drastic reductions in welfare benefits and we'll have no shortage of workers.

Stopping illegal immigration is a good idea.  Expelling 11 million illegal immigrants is impossible.  And doing all that before letting in any more legal immigrants would leave us with a worker shortage and resulting stagflation for many years.  We need to let in more legal immigrants now.  

Besides, even if we could expel all the illegals, why would we have to do that before we let in more legal immigrants?

Or... maybe... with reduced welfare (or at least the option to move out of welfare), some of these companies could stop making record profits and start paying their employees more.

You know, this is what really irks me about modern politics and spouting tropes like, "Congress is ineffective." Who benefits most from cheap labor? It's not us, otherwise I wouldn't have to tip in EVERY store I go to. We keep raising minimum wage and importing cheap labor. Our unions are 100% political and in on the take. Every year, the elite get richer in this country, while the wealth in the middle class shrinks. Marty, you're living in a fantasy land, and the only reason you think we need more cheap labor is because mega corporations want more cheap labor. It drives OUR wages down. This country is a [BLEEP] mess, and it's because we, the people, quibble over the stupidest [BLEEP] and let these corporations take advantage of us.

(07-08-2022, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: ... which brings us back to the question, with unemployment at an all time low, what do we do about the labor shortage?  I say, let in more legal immigrants who want to work.  That's what built this country in the first place.

Agreed. Close and seal the border, expel the illegals, then restart legal, vetted immigration. Combine that with drastic reductions in welfare benefits and we'll have no shortage of workers.

You have exceeded your common sense quota for the day, please step away from the keyboard.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022, 11:32 AM by mikesez.)

(07-08-2022, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Agreed. Close and seal the border, expel the illegals, then restart legal, vetted immigration. Combine that with drastic reductions in welfare benefits and we'll have no shortage of workers.

You are right that it's not possible or even useful to expel all 11 million of them, but I think we have to try to expel some of them as part of the message to would-be immigrants that they should not attempt to come illegally.

(07-08-2022, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 09:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Just using him as a time reference here.  Be less sensitive, you'll live longer.

I've noticed you never use Obama or Clinton as a time reference.

This should clarify things: I'm not trying to please you.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We don't have a worker shortage, we have an incentive to work shortage. We also have a mismatch between jobs available and available job skills and a mismatch between need and desire to work. Those things are resolved by putting people in the position where they have take available jobs and employers in the position where they have to pay for them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-08-2022, 12:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 07:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Stopping illegal immigration is a good idea.  Expelling 11 million illegal immigrants is impossible.  And doing all that before letting in any more legal immigrants would leave us with a worker shortage and resulting stagflation for many years.  We need to let in more legal immigrants now.  

We don't have a worker shortage, we have an incentive to work shortage. We also have a mismatch between jobs available and available job skills and a mismatch between need and desire to work. Those things are resolved by putting people in the position where they have take available jobs and employers in the position where they have to pay for them.

This needs to be fleshed out more.  With emergency covid spending over, welfare hasn't changed much since 1997, except for medicaid and obamacare.  Is it just medicaid and Obama care that allow people to stay home? Or is something else going on?

(07-08-2022, 12:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 12:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We don't have a worker shortage, we have an incentive to work shortage. We also have a mismatch between jobs available and available job skills and a mismatch between need and desire to work. Those things are resolved by putting people in the position where they have take available jobs and employers in the position where they have to pay for them.

This needs to be fleshed out more.  With emergency covid spending over, welfare hasn't changed much since 1997, except for medicaid and obamacare.  Is it just medicaid and Obama care that allow people to stay home? Or is something else going on?

I don't know how to explain that US states that had increases in population still had a decrease in labor force participation. I can see it happening in a place like Ft. Lauderdale where the incoming residents are retirees who don't move there and work, but no one moves to New York City to not work, so even with a decline in New York state you would think their labor force would remain constant or increase during the past 6 months. In one paper by the Federal Reserve of Kansas City they summarized it like this: 

Researchers have pointed to several contributing factors to subdued labor force participation. Briggs (2021) summarizes causes of the decrease in labor force participation such as childcare constraints, excess savings (short term), and shifted work preferences. Nie and Yang (2021) show that the increased share of retirees is not from the conventional employment-to-retirement channel but through a reduction in the flows from retirement to employment, likely due to pandemic-related health concerns. Tüzemen and Tran (2020) conclude that women were disproportionately affected by pandemic-related job losses, and Tüzemen (2021) finds that this loss was largest for women without a college degree, especially minority mothers.

Still much of that is related to the pandemic shut down but now I think we're past the post-pandemic reopening surge and immediate fears of recession are going to further depress employment as labor markets tighten. In any case I think Marty is incorrect that we need an influx of additional workers, especially low and unskilled ones.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Of course, there's always stuff like this to consider as well:

https://justthenews.com/accountability/w...fraudulent

"The Labor Department believes nearly $1 out every $5 it doles out for unemployment benefits is fraudulent, erroneous or unjustified, a record of failure so egregious it violates a federal payments integrity law and likely cost taxpayers more than $78 billion in losses last year alone, according to a new audit."

I don't see any easy "pass this law and you fix it" type solutions to low labor force participation. You simply say we don't have a labor shortage, but I think we do. There are other shortages as well that all levels of government could be alleviating.

Unemployment fraud is a big problem of course, and should be prevented and punished, but it's not on the scale we are talking about, I don't think. Remember a good number of unemployed people didn't qualify for benefits or their benefits have already expired.

(07-08-2022, 03:00 PM)mikesez Wrote: I don't see any easy "pass this law and you fix it" type solutions to low labor force participation.  You simply say we don't have a labor shortage, but I think we do.  There are other shortages as well that all levels of government could be alleviating.

Unemployment fraud is a big problem of course, and should be prevented and punished, but it's not on the scale we are talking about, I don't think. Remember a good number of unemployed people didn't qualify for benefits or their benefits have already expired.

We have a low workforce participation rate. The reason why people who aren't working who should be at this point is murky.

Gonna throw out that vaccine mandate for you to ponder.

(07-08-2022, 05:04 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Gonna throw out that vaccine mandate for you to ponder.

Ponder all you want, if you think that's the issue then you've stuck yourself on the dome with that ax.

(07-08-2022, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 05:04 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Gonna throw out that vaccine mandate for you to ponder.

Ponder all you want, if you think that's the issue then you've stuck yourself on the dome with that ax.

Call it what you want, but I know 2 people that want to work in the field of their choice but are not because of it.  One has taken a position earning much less to feed the family the other has the resources thus far to say bleep it.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-08-2022, 07:30 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ponder all you want, if you think that's the issue then you've stuck yourself on the dome with that ax.

Call it what you want, but I know 2 people that want to work in the field of their choice but are not because of it.  One has taken a position earning much less to feed the family the other has the resources thus far to say bleep it.

Unless you work for the government, there is no mandate.
Is the field of their choice government work?
Or is it private work with a company that for its own reasons chooses to have a vaccine mandate?

(07-08-2022, 11:31 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 07:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Stopping illegal immigration is a good idea.  Expelling 11 million illegal immigrants is impossible.  And doing all that before letting in any more legal immigrants would leave us with a worker shortage and resulting stagflation for many years.  We need to let in more legal immigrants now.  

You are right that it's not possible or even useful to expel all 11 million of them, but I think we have to try to expel some of them as part of the message to would-be immigrants that they should not attempt to come illegally.

Expel them?  Biden has the "Welcome" mat out.  It is impossible to send such a message unless and until you and your fellow lefties support an administration that believes in border security.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-08-2022, 07:51 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 11:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: You are right that it's not possible or even useful to expel all 11 million of them, but I think we have to try to expel some of them as part of the message to would-be immigrants that they should not attempt to come illegally.

Expel them?  Biden has the "Welcome" mat out.  It is impossible to send such a message unless and until you and your fellow lefties support an administration that believes in border security.

I would gladly do so, but only if I get to keep my right to cast meaningful votes in future elections.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2022, 10:40 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-08-2022, 05:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Haha, you make me laugh, dude. You fired 4% of your workforce. The healthcare industry is in shambles. Many, many corporations voluntarily implemented a mandate. I know 8 people who have quit their jobs over it. 3 in healthcare, 2 in banking, 2 in the military waiting to see what happens (one a pilot... in fact, his whole squadron is holding out with the threat of a discharge), and 1 in networking. That's a lot of people for an anecdote. So, of those, 5 are from federal mandates and the other 3 elected to walk away (2 became housewives and one is working with her husband in lawncare). 

Vaccination-related employee departures at 55 hospitals, health systems (beckershospitalreview.com)
Averaging 1% in healthcare, which is the largest employer in the us at 20 million. Now, that category is combined with others, so I don't think it's 200k, but the layoffs were significant.

The vast majority of troops kicked out for COVID vaccine refusal received general discharges (militarytimes.com)
3400 military personnel discharged for refusal to take the vaccine. That's .25% of total active-duty personnel, with more to come.

I could find several examples of large companies who had a significant number of employees quit or get laid off, but that was taking too long. So, just looking at the layoffs in healthcare, and knowing that other industries had layoffs or people opting to quit to avoid the vaccine, it is not unreasonable to assume that many people are out of work due to covid vaccination requirements. 

I am not claiming it is the exclusive reason for anything, but it has at LEAST played a role in rising unemployment in the US. You can be stubborn all you want about your "right" to fire people, but you can't deny the numbers... or can you.

Why do we need more workers? Wages were better when only men were working outside the home. Why has it become an issue where a family struggles to get by when both parents are working?

Adding more people into the workforce has deflated the wages while increasing the costs to a family.

I don't want to change back to that time but something needs to be done to fix the issues. If you raise wages, it just increases cost of everything and has no effect. The bigger issue is probably the size of most companies. The cost built into producing something is way too high for things that have nothing to do with actually producing it.

We need to start by enforcing the laws and clean up all the corruption. We don't have to do anything to remove illegals, they will self deport. Start by fining any company $100,000 per illegal worker. Then to force the states to fix it, fine the state $1,000,000 per illegal that they give any federal funding provided to the state.

Unemployment is another issue but most states don't have too many issues other than people not actually looking for work. Deadbeats will always find ways to abuse the system or fail interviews to continue collecting checks.

Really until we get back as a society where getting government assistance is an insult and blight on the family name, nothing that is done will fix anything. People don't care, they don't put in the effort to advance, or are punished for trying to make more money.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk