Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Words to remember from the 4th of July

You know what's pissing me off? It's getting harder and harder to find data. I feel like I used to be able to go to our government websites and find clearly outlined data, but now, it feels so convoluted. Either the way they present their data has changed, I'm remembering it wrong, or I'm just getting dumber. I'm open to any combination of those 3 choices.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So single women and widows shouldn't work? 

One reason families struggle is people swallowing the Keeping Up With the Joneses pill. Whether it's advertising, home renovation shows, social media envy, etc. KUWTJ has always been a problem but got exponentially worse with home reno shows and social media telling people what they already have isn't good enough. Example....

If you watch the first several seasons of House Hunters it's hard to believe it's the same show as today's version. No one talked about basically demolishing the houses they looked at because the kitchen wasn't open to the rest of the house, the bathroom was too small, or the master bedroom didn't have an ensuite bathroom that doubles as a spa retreat. They didn't complain ad nauseam about everything they didn't like. 

I had to stop watching it years ago because it turned into the [BLEEP] and Moan show. That attitude translates to 'what you have isn't good enough' for a lot of people so they spend a boatload of money to have what they see on these shows. Thankfully I don't care about what I don't have and am thankful for what I do have. A dishwasher would be nice though. Not gonna lie.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 09:14 PM by p_rushing.)

(07-09-2022, 06:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So single women and widows shouldn't work? 

Not what I meant if you took it that way.

From the time women started entering the workforce, the cost of everything has gone up and wages have been cut in relation. Now families can struggle, sure some of it is because people aren't smart with their money and the culture is just get it now and don't worry about the future.

It was another one of the democrat specials of let's advance society and empower women, while in the background it actually gives them control over families and kids.

At this point, women have to work unless the family wants to make sacrifices so she can stay home and take care of the kids. It's one of the issues that needs to be solved so a family can survive and not have to live paycheck to have 1 parent stay home with the kids.

A lot of the problems disappear of you have a bunch of parents at home watching out for the kids and reporting you when you are doing something wrong. Schooling gets fixed with parents being available, discipline hopefully would comeback, can't groom kids if parents have time to be part of education or choose home school, etc.

Not saying the past was perfect but a lot of issues are there today because of the society "advancements". We probably need to take one step back to find a better balance that helps costs come down.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(07-09-2022, 09:13 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 06:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So single women and widows shouldn't work? 

Not what I meant if you took it that way.

From the time women started entering the workforce, the cost of everything has gone up and wages have been cut in relation. Now families can struggle,  sure some of it is because people aren't smart with their money and the culture is just get it now and don't worry about the future.

It was another one of the democrat specials of let's advance society and empower women, while in the background it actually gives them control over families and kids.

At this point, women have to work unless the family wants to make sacrifices so she can stay home and take care of the kids. It's one of the issues that needs to be solved so a family can survive and not have to live paycheck to have 1 parent stay home with the kids.

A lot of the problems disappear of you have a bunch of parents at home watching out for the kids and reporting you when you are doing something wrong. Schooling gets fixed with parents being available, discipline hopefully would comeback, can't groom kids if parents have time to be part of education or choose home school, etc.

Not saying the past was perfect but a lot of issues are there today because of the society "advancements". We probably need to take one step back to find a better balance that helps costs come down.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Just to mention, families choosing that path is one of the reasons cited for the lower workforce rate. I think the point isn't that women shouldn't work, it's that a single income family shouldn't be financially insecure.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato