Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
And the survey says!

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 05:10 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Well, duh.

Survey says! Jaguars fans support stadium renovation, desperately want shade (news4jax.com)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Probably 2 or 3 more seasons of ying-yang face after a 1pm game..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(07-12-2022, 05:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Well, duh.

Survey says! Jaguars fans support stadium renovation, desperately want shade (news4jax.com)

I heard Mark Lamping say we don't need an entirely new stadium; the infrastructure we already have is good.  So I am wondering, what is the cost difference between providing shade, and putting up a dome so we can air-condition the place.  Shade would be great; air-conditioning would be fantastic.

(07-13-2022, 05:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I heard Mark Lamping say we don't need an entirely new stadium; the infrastructure we already have is good.  So I am wondering, what is the cost difference between providing shade, and putting up a dome so we can air-condition the place.  Shade would be great; air-conditioning would be fantastic.

With a retractable roof in the event of HVAC failure.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 10:24 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-13-2022, 05:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

The cost difference of a closed in facility would be extreme.   If one factors in a new roof, closing in all of the concourses (it's pretty much all open), and the cost of AC, it's abundantly much more expensive then simply adding shade comparable to the Dolphins Stadium.  In the grand scheme of things shade should be a very inexpensive option which could be done prior to the 2023 season.

All in all, the NFL has done a decent job minimizing home games between Sept & mid-Oct but by the time we get to see the Jags in decent climate at home (Nov & Dec) we're already long eliminated from any playoff run.

Well, the "good" news for this season's shade conundrum is that our early schedule isn't chock full of sweltering games.
It looks like 3 hot ones, and 4 not-so-bad dates, weather wise.

All preseason home games are 7pm

September has only one 1pm game (vs colts)

October has two 1pm games (Oct 9 and 23 vs tinhorns and giants)

After that - it should be bearable. (the temps, not the games)

11/6 raiders
11/27 ravens
12/18 cowboys
week 18 (flexible date) tacks at TIAA Bank field

We could even get lucky and see the Oct 23 game turn out to be somewhat mild weather. Stranger things have happened in Oct in Jax.

A dome would be a much preferred option but it is cost inhibitive. If we were to go that route then there’s no sense in trying to make the current stadium into something for which it was never designed. It would have to be a complete new build.

For that to happen the Jaguars will have to start perennially winning (a Superb Owl appearance/win would be nice) in order to raise the status of the team enough in the eyes of Duval taxpayers to even consider funding such an enterprise. Right now, too many don’t even want the team here because it’s such a stain on the city, as if it doesn’t already have a poor enough reputation.

Make Jacksonville synonymous with winning and big things will follow. Until then, we’re getting shade only…hopefully.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 10:46 AM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

Putting in AC and a full enclosure would make capping Chernobyl look like a high school engineering project. Now is a bad time to be doing large construction projects. City should have done this 10 years ago when bonding and funding were in their favor. Leave it to them to do it now at the approaching zenith of costs.

Edit:

I guess in Texas (where I am) and Florida (where the rest of the country is going) cost isn't as prohibitive as it was say in 2008 during the crash.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

An important factor is the survey is of Jag fans. The opinion in Duval County as a whole seems a bit more mixed from what I've been reading.

A setup like Miami has with some air circulation fans (not necessarily AC) should be cost effective.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-13-2022, 12:22 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: An important factor is the survey is of Jag fans. The opinion in Duval County as a whole seems a bit more mixed from what I've been reading.

A setup like Miami has with some air circulation fans (not necessarily AC) should be cost effective.

A guy on 1010 this morning said the shade setup in Miami made a very noticeable difference. Do that here and install some ginormous Big [BLEEP] Fans in the overhangs and that would make a tremendous improvement.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 12:47 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-13-2022, 12:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 12:22 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: An important factor is the survey is of Jag fans. The opinion in Duval County as a whole seems a bit more mixed from what I've been reading.

A guy on 1010 this morning said the shade setup in Miami made a very noticeable difference. Do that here and install some ginormous Big [BLEEP] Fans in the overhangs and that would make a tremendous improvement.

Just do a flyover water drop on the stands at the of each qtr. It'd be potentially dangerous fun and might provide some good old fashioned visual 'entertainment' as a by-product. Just a logical extension of the pools.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(07-13-2022, 12:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I believe it was in the 2020 "state of the franchise" that Lamping did indeed show a rendering of a remodel of the current "Bank" with similar shade to the Miami iteration. 

So at least we know it's on their radar as an option FWIW.

(07-13-2022, 12:46 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 12:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A guy on 1010 this morning said the shade setup in Miami made a very noticeable difference. Do that here and install some ginormous Big [BLEEP] Fans in the overhangs and that would make a tremendous improvement.

Just do a flyover water drop on the stands at the of each qtr.  It'd be potentially dangerous fun and might provide some good old fashioned visual 'entertainment' as a by-product.  Just a logical extension of the pools.

I'm up for it if they can use the same substance (Phos-Chek) they dump on wild fires but do it in teal.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 06:25 PM by Predator. Edited 2 times in total.)

I bet if they said renovating the stadium would include the city picking up a large chunk of the tab, that approval rating would plummet.

The only way we could have a dome is to tear down the stadium and build a new one from the ground up.

Our current infrastructure is far too spread out, due to the size and the relatively shallow incline of our lower bowl seating, to make putting a dome on it practical. Most domed stadiums are triple or even quadruple tiered to make the seating more vertical and thus giving it a smaller footprint to cover. If we domed our stadium from upper deck to upper deck, it might become the largest domed structure in the world.

Something like what they have in Miami might be the only practical way to provide some cover for the fans with the current infrastructure. Even that would be difficult due to the horizontal distance from the top of the upper deck to the front rows of the bowl area.

I just want a Super Bowl ring. If they give us some shade that would be great too.

Retractable roof are kind of a farce. They have them for the Houston teams and they are rarely ever opened for games.

The issue with all the stadium talk is that the team will ask the city to foot a portion of the bill, and I just don't see the city and voters getting behind that unless the team wins a Super Bowl.