Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year?

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 10:32 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-03-2022, 10:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 09:46 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Where in this thread did I say pressures weren't a good thing? All I'm saying is that every pressure is not equal. Every sack is. Every sack ends the play, in a loss of yards. a QB can throw a td while also being pressured, how dense are you?

Last chance for you to understand this very simple concept. Good luck, I won't be explaining it further. 

The statistics showing that quarterbacks suffer in completion percentage when pressured don't care about the ineffective pressures you are stuck on (for some unknown reason.) The statistics are taking the entire lot of pressures recorded - both effective and ineffective in offensive outcome - and the result is that they negatively impact QBs' accuracy and completion rate. 

You called these ineffective pressures meaningless and harped on that subset of pressures in three posts. 

I am merely explaining that you can throw that anecdotal information out the window and just focus on the fact that pressures affect the quarterbacks negatively and there is a ton of statistical data to support it. Ineffective pressures be damned. Like many things in football, it doesn't work perfectly every time. 

Here are your original words that you may have forgotten:
Quote:Depends how you look at it honestly. I think (not basing this on actual stats, just what I remember personally) that Dante Fowler had a knack for just almost sacking qbs.. often times he's either miss them or just be a second too late and the play would end up going well for the opposing team. In that scenario, Pressures are meaningless.. now if you got a guy whos bursting threw the line and causing the qb to dip out or throw the ball away out of fear.. that's another story.

Why continue to focus on a subset of pressures when you've been shown that a QB's completion % will dip 10-20% if he's pressured consistently? 

I'll give you more to help illustrate my point.

In the game vs. Buffalo last year, Allen, Smoot, RRH and other defenders pressured the other Josh Allen 21 times. (big number) 
Over 30% of his drop backs received pressure. The result speaks for itself. 

If you look at the pressures in late season games from Wentz last year, you'll see he was pressured on 20% of his targets vs the tinhorns and threw a 71% comp rate (31-0 win)
Versus the Jags a few weeks later, he was pressured 30% of the time and threw a 58% comp rate. 
(26-11 loss)

If this isn't helping you understand that those ineffective pressures don't mean [BLEEP] in the grand scale of pass rush, I can't help you. 

Whiffs at the quarterback are just the price of doing business as a pass rusher. The good pressures add up to very important impact regardless, and many that don't end up in a sack still end possessions.

I don't even bother reading the majority of the books you call a post at this point, because it's almost never worth the effort. 

Your stats are meaningless to what I was saying. Not once again, did I say pressures aren't a good thing all I said was it's not a concrete stat like a sack. Do you even realise how stupid you sound arguing this point? Can you imagine if I said well trevor lawrence threw 5 picks with a clean pocket out of his 17, therefore based on my nerd stats this and this percent of plays with a clean pocket turned out to be interceptions therefore a clean pocket isn't ideal. 

Sounds really stupid right? Because it is. The stat is subjective, because a pressure can be attributed to a guy who took 35 seconds to get through the line and is running up on the qb right before he throws it. No kidding buddy, an edge rusher getting through the line quickly and disrupting the play is obviously a good thing.. but as a stat, it's not as important as a sack which stops the play in a loss of yards every time, not just sometimes. A sack dosen't sometimes end up in a touchdown pass. 

I swear everytime you argue anything with me it's always you taking something I say and completely twisting it to fit whatever brain dead argument you're trying to have. You just spent 4-5 posts trying to convince me that pressures on the QB are a good thing, as if I said it wasn't. Lmao jesus christ man.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Acceptable sack number for Travon Walker assuming he starts most of the year? - by ChrisJagBoy - 08-04-2022, 10:30 AM