Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL strips Miami Dolphins of 2023 first-round pick, fines Stephen Ross $1.5M for tamp

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 12:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Glad to see they take this more seriously than sexual assault or harassment

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3433...ean-payton

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

... or tanking.
Or racism.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-02-2022, 12:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Glad to see they take this more seriously than sexual assault or harassment

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3433...ean-payton

Evidently they're not violating league policies relating to the integrity of the game they're just violating a human being. No fuss no muss.  Wallbash

MIAMI -- The NFL notified the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday that the team would be stripped of its 2023 first-round pick, among other disciplinary measures, for violations of league policies relating to the integrity of the game.

Why is banning the owner from the facilities or representing the team for a time considered a punishment? It is basically just giving him an excuse/vacation to stay away from the team? Plus can't he just do that behind the scenes using a go between?

Basically if you are going to say what he did was so egregious that he should not speak for the team for a some time, then he should be required to give up some of his owner stake. Otherwise it doesn't actually punish the owner.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 10:37 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Per the article...."While it found no evidence the Dolphins tried to tank in 2019, The investigation did find that Ross made comments to team president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, Grier, senior vice president Brandon Shore and Flores that the team's draft position should take priority over winning games."

Isn't this sort of the definition of tanking? It would be interesting to see exactly what he said.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

They should give their 1st rounder to us for the misery urban meyer put us through.

That hurts the dolphins

Chess move by Belichick "accidentally" sending those texts to Flores?

(08-02-2022, 03:04 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Per the article...."While it found no evidence the Dolphins tried to tank in 2019, The investigation did find that Ross made comments to team president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, Grier, senior vice president Brandon Shore and Flores that the team's draft position should take priority over winning games."

Isn't this sort of the definition of tanking?  It would be interesting to see exactly what he said.

That implies while there was a wink and a nod, that there was no evidence of actual plan/reward structure or payout. Contrast that with bountygate, where greggggg actually had the system in place and got caught. Pointing out the recognition of Ross's statement to team leadership is a sign that the league aims to discourage that mindset from being voiced, even if it is implied.

A lot of teams probably acknowledge that there is little value in a late win in a lost season. You see vets heading to IR with minor injury, depth guys getting starts "to build experience for the next season" and other strategies that may make that win even more challenging, but usually it is not accompanied with a statement that the team is focused on maximizing their draft potential.

The team ended with 2 wins in the 2019 season, so "evidence" gets tarnished without successful results. Or maybe they were just so bad at tanking that they screwed that up, too?

Draft capital lost here and via the T. Hill trade are going to be tough to recover from, especially when Tua is your quarterback.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2022, 10:03 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-03-2022, 08:35 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 03:04 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Per the article...."While it found no evidence the Dolphins tried to tank in 2019, The investigation did find that Ross made comments to team president and CEO Tom Garfinkel, Grier, senior vice president Brandon Shore and Flores that the team's draft position should take priority over winning games."

Isn't this sort of the definition of tanking?  It would be interesting to see exactly what he said.

That implies while there was a wink and a nod, that there was no evidence of actual plan/reward structure or payout. Contrast that with bountygate, where greggggg actually had the system in place and got caught. Pointing out the recognition of Ross's statement to team leadership is a sign that the league aims to discourage that mindset from being voiced, even if it is implied.

A lot of teams probably acknowledge that there is little value in a late win in a lost season. You see vets heading to IR with minor injury, depth guys getting starts "to build experience for the next season" and other strategies that may make that win even more challenging, but usually it is not accompanied with a statement that the team is focused on maximizing their draft potential.

The team ended with 2 wins in the 2019 season, so "evidence" gets tarnished without successful results. Or maybe they were just so bad at tanking that they screwed that up, too?

All good points, I hear ya. Those are all tried and true mechanisms for tanking, even if the Fins did screw them up somehow. I'm guessing that Flores was so outraged by Ross that he made sure that the team played hard and didnt tank, just to screw up draft positioning, since he probably knew he was gone anyway. I'd still love to see the quoted statements that Ross made that were referred to in the article. You just can't verbalize implications like that as an owner.

It's kind of funny that tanking is almost a given in other sports, particularly basketball and baseball (through various mechanisms), but for football, it's regarded as the unpardonable sin.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I think the NFL should have went harder on this situation with Ross. It's hard to argue with Flores. This guy routinely tried to get the most out of Tua, even benching him at certain times to let Ryan play to get the team into a winning position. In spite of ownership clearly wanting him to tank and fail for a better prospect. The reality is that, had they did their homework? You would have taken Justin Herbert instead, or, you could have drafted a guy like Wirfs, Lamb, Jeudy or Jefferson and taken a guy like Hurts in RD2.

It amazes me that Flores took the fall for bad ownership and personnel management in Miami. Chris Grier should have been shown the door after Adam Gase failed in three years with him down there. I really like Flores. I think he'll ultimately land a head coaching job again in the NFL and rightfully so. All of this evidence and punishment that was handed out in Miami pretty much clears his name.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-02-2022, 06:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Chess move by Belichick "accidentally" sending those texts to Flores?

That was the first thing that popped in my head when I hear about all this!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 12:05 AM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-03-2022, 10:02 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: It's kind of funny that tanking is almost a given in other sports, particularly basketball and baseball (through various mechanisms), but for football, it's regarded as the unpardonable sin.

Cuz Football has so few games per season at 17. Even a one team tanking could dramatically mess with playoff standings.

In an 82 or 162 game season playing 1 tanking team doesn't feel like it affects things as much, and even a few tanking teams tends to get lost in the numbers. 

Even then, both the NBA and MLB have not instituted systems to lessen the benefits of tanking; something the NFL has not done.

(08-07-2022, 12:04 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 10:02 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: It's kind of funny that tanking is almost a given in other sports, particularly basketball and baseball (through various mechanisms), but for football, it's regarded as the unpardonable sin.

Cuz Football has so few games per season at 17. Even a one team tanking could dramatically mess with playoff standings.

In an 82 or 162 game season playing 1 tanking team doesn't feel like it affects things as much, and even a few tanking teams tends to get lost in the numbers. 

Even then, both the NBA and MLB have not instituted systems to lessen the benefits of tanking; something the NFL has not done.
NBA draft position isn't guaranteed though

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk