Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Hall of Fame Game

(08-06-2022, 11:11 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:02 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Nothing really comes to mind other than the possible but presumably unlikely things. Such as Lawrence failing to take the step forward we think he will/should or Walker busting or Robinson and ETN not recovering completely from surgery. I actually like where the team is even if we only have 4 more wins *this* year, I think we're heading in the right direction for the future.

7 wins is the floor when it comes to expectations…

I think 7 is a reasonable over/under although I'm not going to demand Pederson be replaced if they only win 5 or 6.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-06-2022, 03:21 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 11:11 AM)Ronster Wrote: 7 wins is the floor when it comes to expectations…

I think 7 is a reasonable over/under although I'm not going to demand Pederson be replaced if they only win 5 or 6.

7 is beyond reasonable. I don't think this division is that strong and it's a very real possibility they could at least finish 4 - 2 or 3 - 3 just in that series alone. The NFC East has it's issues as well. The only real concerning team for me there is Dallas. I am not sold on Philadelphia yet. The AFC West is where this team is going to REALLY have to cut it's teeth this year and it would honestly be the best measuring tool (if all teams are healthy during those match-up's to be fair) to judge where this team is at. 

Chargers, Broncos, Raiders & Chiefs are all very competitive teams with a minimum of consistent & competent QB play on a BAD day and highlight reels every other drive on a good day. So, those will be the more interesting head to head's to watch. The Ravens are interesting as always with Jackson in the fold. The Jets, Lions? We're basically the same teams on paper at the moment. Will come down to coaching and who is healthier more than likely in those contests. 

7 should be the minimum.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think the Jags win five. In the last 11 seasons, the Jags have won seven or more games just once. They have won five or more just five times in the 11 seasons. The Jags have a long way to go on both defense and offence. It won’t happen quickly.

Calling for 5 wins is a little underwhelming, but I would say our range is 5-9 wins.

I'm beyond caring about any total number of wins. Everyone wants more than the 3 we got last year, but it's more important to me that the team doesn't get blown out, that the team looks like they know what they're doing, and that the team looks capable and talented. I think I'll get that this year, but I haven't gotten it since 2018. Once I see the team is not a disaster, then we can talk about the number of wins they should have.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-06-2022, 04:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 03:21 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I think 7 is a reasonable over/under although I'm not going to demand Pederson be replaced if they only win 5 or 6.

7 is beyond reasonable. I don't think this division is that strong and it's a very real possibility they could at least finish 4 - 2 or 3 - 3 just in that series alone. The NFC East has it's issues as well. The only real concerning team for me there is Dallas. I am not sold on Philadelphia yet. The AFC West is where this team is going to REALLY have to cut it's teeth this year and it would honestly be the best measuring tool (if all teams are healthy during those match-up's to be fair) to judge where this team is at. 

Chargers, Broncos, Raiders & Chiefs are all very competitive teams with a minimum of consistent & competent QB play on a BAD day and highlight reels every other drive on a good day. So, those will be the more interesting head to head's to watch. The Ravens are interesting as always with Jackson in the fold. The Jets, Lions? We're basically the same teams on paper at the moment. Will come down to coaching and who is healthier more than likely in those contests. 

7 should be the minimum.

That's pretty optimistic for a team that's only won 4 games in the last two years. Sounds like you'd bet the over.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

This season may not be the prettiest. Prob gonna end with 6 wins or so. But next season the division is ours.......

1995 Jags - 5 and 11
2022 Jags - 5 and 12

1996 Jags - 9 and 7
2023 Jags - 12 and 5
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-07-2022, 09:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 1995 Jags - 5 and 11
2022 Jags - 5 and 12

1996 Jags - 9 and 7
2023 Jags - 12 and 5

I could see this, except I'd go with 10 - 7 for 2023, which still wins the division.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-07-2022, 09:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 09:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 1995 Jags - 5 and 11
2022 Jags - 5 and 12

1996 Jags - 9 and 7
2023 Jags - 12 and 5

I could see this, except I'd go with 10 - 7 for 2023, which still wins the division.

Both of you I think are seeing this through teal colored glasses. I don’t see the depth for that kind of run. 2024 is more realistic for these kinds of wins. It would be nice, but it’s hard to think of this team as is as a 12-5 team, even 10-7 is pushing it…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 10:12 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-07-2022, 10:04 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 09:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I could see this, except I'd go with 10 - 7 for 2023, which still wins the division.

Both of you I think are seeing this through teal colored glasses. I don’t see the depth for that kind of run. 2024 is more realistic for these kinds of wins. It would be nice, but it’s hard to think of this team as is as a 12-5 team, even 10-7 is pushing it…

Maybe. I had predicted them last year to challenge for the division in Lawrence's 3rd year under Meyer, so maybe the wasted year does push us back one. I'm counting on Pederson to help make up for that lost year, I guess.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

It’s hard to predict, but our terrible hall of fame showing did psychologically make me feel like it may take another year to truly be competitive. However, I keep telling myself this Game was meaningless.

The only impressions i got from this game were:

Travon looks like hes gonna prove Balke right to take him at 1.
Adren Key might be a much bigger addition than I thought.
Luton Sucks
Most of our depth players suck.
Muma needs more time to develop, and looks weak as hell.

(08-07-2022, 10:48 AM)Newton Wrote: It’s hard to predict, but our terrible hall of fame showing did psychologically make me feel like it may take another year to truly be competitive. However, I keep telling myself this Game was meaningless.

I keep telling myself the same thing. Actually, it was like a flashback from last year's nightmare to me.  Then I remembered the Raiders used the extra week of practice and the Jags didn't. They had what only 2 days of practice with pads?  Here is hoping that was the difference between what we saw and a competitive team.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 10:16 AM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-07-2022, 09:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I could see this, except I'd go with 10 - 7 for 2023, which still wins the division.

The remarkable thing about both the Jags' 1996 and 2017 seasons was the lack of injuries.  Depth doesn't matter if you stay healthy.  That's not just the Jags either.  A really good way to predict the winner of playoff games is which team has fewer players on injured reserve.  There have been teams that win the Super Bowl with 0 injured reserve players.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The beauty of the NFL is that parity makes 2 years sufficient time for a team to get good. With TLaw last year and Doug this year I feel really good about where this team will be after next offseason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-06-2022, 09:33 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I think the Jags win five.  In the last 11 seasons, the Jags have won seven or more games just once.  They have won five or more just five times in the 11 seasons.  The Jags have a long way to go on both defense and offence. It won’t happen quickly.

As much as I'd like to reach over the Internet and strangle some of your takes, it's hard to argue with this after years of let-downs.  Until the team shows us something different in real games, we still suck.

(08-08-2022, 10:50 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 09:33 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I think the Jags win five.  In the last 11 seasons, the Jags have won seven or more games just once.  They have won five or more just five times in the 11 seasons.  The Jags have a long way to go on both defense and offence. It won’t happen quickly.

As much as I'd like to reach over the Internet and strangle some of your takes, it's hard to argue with this after years of let-downs.  Until the team shows us something different in real games, we still suck.

I can relate to this sentiment, but i've watched quite a few teams improve VERY rapidly in this league many times.

And the Jags just: 
  • Spent a record amount in free agency 
  • Landed a number of instant starters in a good looking draft
  • Hired a super bowl winning coach 
  • Set themselves up with a starting lineup of 9 or 10 new faces out of last year's 22 

I don't think 6 or 7 wins should be unattainable at all

Would be pleasantly surprised but not shocked by more

This wasn't an ordinary off-season.  If you look at the Jaguar's initial depth chart, it indicates 10 new starters from players that weren't even on the team last year.  When you include the promotion of Cisco, that's 11 new starters.  If Little wins the right tackle job, that's 12 new starters.  This doesn't even include new players that aren't starters but will contribute (Arden Key, etc.).  It doesn't include players returning from injury (most notably former first rounder Etienne).  It doesn't include probable improvement from last year rookies (most notably quarterback Trevor Lawrence).  It doesn't include better coaching.  If all of the above only gets us 2 more wins this year, I would consider that disappointing.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 12:08 AM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-08-2022, 10:11 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

This wasn't an ordinary off-season.  If you look at the Jaguar's initial depth chart, it indicates 10 new starters from players that weren't even on the team last year.  When you include the promotion of Cisco, that's 11 new starters.  If Little wins the right tackle job, that's 12 new starters.  This doesn't even include new players that aren't starters but will contribute (Arden Key, etc.).  It doesn't include players returning from injury (most notably former first rounder Etienne).  It doesn't include probable improvement from last year rookies (most notably quarterback Trevor Lawrence).  It doesn't include better coaching.  If all of the above only gets us 2 more wins this year, I would consider that disappointing.

You make a strong argument but the team last year was not very functional and it was the second year in a row of coming dead last in the whole league.  I don’t think people should be disappointed with five wins, although it depends on how the losses look too.  This new set of coaches with the new set of starters could make a big swing in the team’s performance, you’re right.  I think with a new system, 50% or so turnover on the starters and an organisation that is used to the back end of the line, that it’s too big a hill to climb too quickly.  Five wins will be a pretty good result, I reckon.  I’ll be happy with it.

We’ve got a defense that is really turned over and needs to learn to play with each other.  The missed assignments on defense will be very frustrating.  An offensive line that will be 60% turned over.  The blitz and stunt misses, especially if they come over C or LG, will cause the fan base to have conniptions.  A WR corp that’s even more new, right?  The pre-snap read between all these new guys and TL will take some time to settle, particularly since there was nothing to write home about on that front last year.  Not all of these guys will work out and some other players will get dropped in to try and right the ship.  I think with the new system and finding out who can play well in it and who can’t, we’ll have a few growing pains.  Some pretty frustrating play.  We’ll see, though.  This could all click pretty quickly, I suppose.

Also, Pederson is starting from way further back with the Jags than he did with the Eagles.  I think he’ll need more than two seasons to make Jacksonville post-season contenders, much less Super Bowl champions.  We’ll have to temper our expectations and enjoy the ride.

I’ll be pretty happy if at the end of the year we have five wins, a solid set of starters that doesn’t need a complete overhaul in trade/draft season and some solid signs that TL is learning to play in the big leagues.  That will be a good year.

(08-08-2022, 10:50 AM)scottyg Wrote:

Heh.  That caused a chuckle.  It looks like my guy will get some good outcomes personally this year.  I really hope the team does well.