Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ETN + Jrob > Fred Taylor + Mojo?

(08-16-2022, 02:43 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I like ETN and JRob, but I don't think they have the same level of talent as Freddy T and Mojo.  Not to mention, our current offensive line needs to get a lot better.

JRob is like minor leagues compared to Mojo's speed and tackle-breaking ability. H

ETN is shifty, but he has a long way to go before his sheer presence, ala Taylor's, causes the back seven to shift forward. Taylor was unique in that he could cut on a dime, stiff arm tacklers, or sprint to the finish line. There was some Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson to his game. 

ETN's style, from what little I've seen, is simply speed and shiftiness akin to LeSean McCoy's. I'm happy to have him, but I don't see him being anything close to Taylor.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I will sip the teal drank with you my friend.

(08-16-2022, 08:09 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Who knows but I have a feeling it's unlikely they could team up for that kind of production. Even if they could, it would look very different because Jrob is such a different style runner than either of those guys.

Jrob kind of reminds me of MJD of 2011. Don't know why.

I personally love the comparison. I thing etiene and JRob can easily rival Freddy and
mJD.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 03:35 AM by OG-JAGFAN.)

(08-16-2022, 01:46 PM)Jagsman Wrote: In the 2007 season, Fred Taylor and Mojo had a combined 1970 rushing yards along with 16 total Tds (Jags were 11-5 this season and lost in the divisional round to the Pats). Will the elite ETN and Jrob one-two punch be able to achieve numbers like this? I think it is very possible considering that both are closer to their primes.

Love the optimism despite being premature. ETN has never taken a regular season snap while Robinson is coming off of injury. We would all love your thread title to be true.

(08-17-2022, 01:45 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I personally love the comparison. I thing etiene and JRob can easily rival Freddy and
mJD.

Robinson is good but he is no MJD or Fred Taylor. Lets pump the brakes on Etiene. He has star potential just remember he has not taken a regular season snap yet.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, probably best to curb it for this year. For starters, Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew were on completely different levels when they entered the NFL and they were still in an era where it was cool to run the rock more consistently than throwing it around. Secondly, I don't think this offense is going to rely too heavily on one back. I could see a trio being used consistently while Lawrence is expected to get the job done more than anybody else on offense.

Not to knock David Garrard or Byron Leftwich during that era. However, Lawrence's status of being the number one overall selection, the accolades and expectations for him coming out of Clemson, etc. He's going to be the guy here in Jacksonville more times than not. Also, I would expect to see him running it around as well this year in an RPO system which further eats away at opportunities for Robinson and Etienne to rack up yardage collectively.

Again, Doug Pederson took this job because of Trevor Lawrence and really nobody else. With Etienne and Robinson returning from injuries. I could see this entire offense as a team maybe matching that year of production on the ground that Taylor and Jones-Drew had together. Robinson, Etienne, Conner & Lawrence can eclipse 1,900 yards on the ground. For sure.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Highly doubt it.

(08-16-2022, 01:46 PM)Jagsman Wrote: In the 2007 season, Fred Taylor and Mojo had a combined 1970 rushing yards along with 16 total Tds (Jags were 11-5 this season and lost in the divisional round to the Pats). Will the elite ETN and Jrob one-two punch be able to achieve numbers like this? I think it is very possible considering that both are closer to their primes.

At this point, 2000 all purpose yards and 12 TDs combined from J-Rob & Etienne seems a lot more reasonable. 

I don't see any reason to expect MJD/Freddy numbers from this duo.

Woo hoo thanks for the fan thread. Go Jaguars.

to respond to thread.... no
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Freddie T and Mojo were not coming off of major injuries in 2007 as ETN and JRob are in 2022.

(08-17-2022, 05:02 AM)Caldrac Wrote: For starters, Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew were on completely different levels when they entered the NFL 

One could easily argue that ETN is the best of all 4 RBs when entering the NFL as ETN had ~2,000 more rushing yards, ~40 more TDs and ~ 400 yards more in receiving yards .  He was draft lower then Freddie T because the RB position had been devalued which you indicated by stating teams now throw the rock around a lot more these days.

J Rob not on Mojo level. (What's jrobs long run? Mojo ripped off long runs)
Etienne not on Fred level. (Fred was faster and 15lbs bigger).

I like them on the team but they haven't done it yet.

No chance . Fred and MJD were one of the best running back tandems in the history of the league

(08-17-2022, 03:33 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

Love the optimism despite being premature. ETN has never taken a regular season snap while Robinson is coming off of injury. We would all love your thread title to be true.

(08-17-2022, 01:45 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I personally love the comparison. I thing etiene and JRob can easily rival Freddy and
mJD.

Robinson is good but he is no MJD or Fred Taylor. Lets pump the brakes on Etiene. He has star potential just remember he has not taken a regular season snap yet.

Love the signature. I've got a couple of copies of that somewhere around here.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-17-2022, 11:37 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 03:33 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Love the optimism despite being premature. ETN has never taken a regular season snap while Robinson is coming off of injury. We would all love your thread title to be true.

Love the signature.  I've got a couple of copies of that somewhere around here.
It was a special moment. Wayne Weaver was a good owner. He just did not have the deep pockets to keep the team modern.

(08-16-2022, 10:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 01:52 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Prob not rushing yards as long as Trevor is here because our offense will be more geared to getting the ball in the hands of the WR's.  TD's?  Maybe, since ETN can catch out of the backfield.  Might be worth a TD or 2.

No.

No....what?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 12:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-17-2022, 01:21 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 08:09 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Who knows but I have a feeling it's unlikely they could team up for that kind of production. Even if they could, it would look very different because Jrob is such a different style runner than either of those guys.

Jrob kind of reminds me of MJD of 2011. Don't know why.

I don't either.

JRob is the guy that looks like he has nothing but ends up with a 4 yard gain then, when he looks like he's busting one big ends up with a 20 yard gain.  By comparison, I'd have to say he's like a Frank Gore type RB (nothing wows you but consistently gets effective yards)

J-Rob looks a bit like Gore as mentioned, but with a dash of that Le'Veon Bell patience.

He's lighter on his feet than Gore who was a bit more "plodding" at times.

Jrob is a broke man's emmitt smith. He knows how to pick holes and squeeze out nice yardage.

(08-17-2022, 12:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 01:21 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote: Jrob kind of reminds me of MJD of 2011. Don't know why.

I don't either.

JRob is the guy that looks like he has nothing but ends up with a 4 yard gain then, when he looks like he's busting one big ends up with a 20 yard gain.  By comparison, I'd have to say he's like a Frank Gore type RB (nothing wows you but consistently gets effective yards)

Maybe it's just his appearance/body shape etc. I think why they feel similar is both him and MJD had good vision and always tried to push forward for as much extra yards as they can. The biggest difference in their game is speed, I think if JR was a bit faster the comparision would make more sense.