Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Practice Squad observations

First, 16 players per team is goofballs. NFL doing everything they can to dilute the talent pool available to the competing startup leagues.

Also, the Bungles put a punter on the PS. I don't understand that move, unless you need someone extra to hold during field goal practices.

It's still hard for me to get used to the eligibility for the PS. Buffalo put Tavon Austin on their PS, dude's a former first rounder in his tenth season. I mean, I'm glad the older vets have a way to get reimbursed for sticking around, staying in game shape, and helping the players on the team improve, but my thinkmeat just hasn't acclimated to the change in how the league operates.

And I just learned this bit from SBN:

Quote:First used by legendary coach Paul Brown with the Cleveland Browns in 1946, Brown subverted AAFC salary rules for a 33-man roster by stashing a group of players using fake jobs for Yellow Cab of Cleveland. Brown, who was friends with the owner of the cab company, made this arrangement and the team would pay the reserve group of players — who obviously never drove a cab. They were dubbed the “Taxi Squad,” and when word spread of Brown’s scheme, everyone started doing it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-01-2022, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote: First, 16 players per team is goofballs. NFL doing everything they can to dilute the talent pool available to the competing startup leagues.

Also, the Bungles put a punter on the PS. I don't understand that move, unless you need someone extra to hold during field goal practices.

It's still hard for me to get used to the eligibility for the PS. Buffalo put Tavon Austin on their PS, dude's a former first rounder in his tenth season. I mean, I'm glad the older vets have a way to get reimbursed for sticking around, staying in game shape, and helping the players on the team improve, but my thinkmeat just hasn't acclimated to the change in how the league operates.

Quote:First used by legendary coach Paul Brown with the Cleveland Browns in 1946, Brown subverted AAFC salary rules for a 33-man roster by stashing a group of players using fake jobs for Yellow Cab of Cleveland. Brown, who was friends with the owner of the cab company, made this arrangement and the team would pay the reserve group of players — who obviously never drove a cab. They were dubbed the “Taxi Squad,” and when word spread of Brown’s scheme, everyone started doing it.

Haha!  That's awesome!  I love bits of trivia like that Smile

(09-01-2022, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote: First, 16 players per team is goofballs. NFL doing everything they can to dilute the talent pool available to the competing startup leagues.

Diluting the talent pool is one aspect and probably the biggest one, but providing higher quality depth for teams in case of injury is probably also in the mix.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Salary. Practice squad players make $11,500 per week or $207,000 for 18 weeks. Veteran players with over two years of experience will make $15,400 per week or $277,200 for 18 weeks. Teams are allowed to pay a player a higher salary than the minimum, which often happens if another team comes sniffing around a player.Aug 30, 2022

Not a bad gig if you can get it imo. Looks like the pay for them went up a bit.

Is is really that much to dilute other leagues?

I thought historically teams used to have like 7-12 players who ended up on IR every year and churn through that many PS players anyways. Now they just have them always at the ready?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-07-2022, 04:04 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Is is really that much to dilute other leagues?

I thought historically teams used to have like 7-12 players who ended up on IR every year and churn through that many PS players anyways. Now they just have them always at the ready?
I doubt it because unless the team is paying them more than the minimum, a spring league would be good for them. They need to play and it gives them a chance to show improvement. Teams should be willing to let a PS guy go and play in the spring.

It's probably more of an issue with practice, giving veterans rest days, and the covid rules they had in place and needing players with the teams.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk