Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

Yeah hopefully this isn’t a situation where he comes in and impresses, only to get suspended again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-27-2023, 12:29 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 12:18 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Add to it that the Falcons have plenty of cap space and could easily have let this play out in their building and still decided to ship him. They should know him and the situation best.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about the potential for this offense with him in it if he can regain his 2020 form, it just needs to be tempered with a significant dose of realistic expectations for someone who has demonstrated the behaviors and decisions that he has along with the team being willing to trade him when cap is not a concern.

Also possible he expressed to his agent he didn't want to play in ATL anymore given their QB situation and outlook or just felt he needs a change of scenery so ATL was willing to ship him instead of dealing with a suspended player who doesn't even want be there anymore.

Could be.  But he had zero leverage if it were to come to a demand and not a request.  It just seems more likely that if they believed in him and believed his infraction was minor and that his punishment that was handed out by the NFL (not the team) was overly severe they wouldn’t be willing to ship what they believe to be an elite level player at his lowest value.  They were just fine with another team shouldering that risk.  There has been no indication that there’s any discontent between he and the falcons that I’ve seen.

I’m not bashing the trade. It’s a worthy attempt and doesn’t cost much if it doesn’t work out from the get go.  I think worst case scenario is we get a really good year out of him, extend him, lose a 2nd rounder as a result and then he falls off a cliff mentally the following year.  I’m sure any extension will have clauses to protect the cash, but losing a 2nd on a 1 year rental would likely hurt the team’s overall talent level in the years to come.  

Walking away from football in your prime earning years if you have any intention of coming back is pretty alarming.  Risking $1500 only to lose your guaranteed multimillion dollar salary when you know the NFL drills into their heads not to gamble on games is also pretty alarming.

(01-27-2023, 12:37 PM)Newton Wrote: Yeah hopefully this isn’t a situation where he comes in and impresses, only to get suspended again.
The trade was always a risk but there are all kinds of stipulations to this trade involving compensation.

I kinda think it’s an average risk with a very high reward.

If Ridley and Trevor connect (and Trevor has chemistry with everyone it seems), it will hit like Diggs and Allen. It will unlock his full potential.

I can’t wait to see this guy in a jags uniform.

Just bet in the off season or on a different sport. Like everybody else.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-27-2023, 05:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Just bet in the off season or on a different sport. Like everybody else.

The lesson he should walk away from this with is: don’t bet against the Jags.

(01-27-2023, 05:55 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 05:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Just bet in the off season or on a different sport. Like everybody else.

The lesson he should walk away from this with is: don’t bet against the Jags.
It was always the Jags. I think he'll be good. He's getting a 2nd chance. Everybody, within reason, deserves a 2nd chance.

Have seen guys get 2nd chances after doing far, FAR more horrendous things. It's funny the NFL doesn't condone gambling and betting, eventhough it does.

But, they let guys waltz right back on in after getting mulitple rug and tugs, child abuse, domestic violence, etc.

The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He's gonna be fantastic, I think he's one of the best WRs in the league.. i'm not gonna doubt his ability until given a reason to do so.

(01-27-2023, 08:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-27-2023, 05:55 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The lesson he should walk away from this with is: don’t bet against the Jags.
It was always the Jags. I think he'll be good. He's getting a 2nd chance. Everybody, within reason, deserves a 2nd chance.

Have seen guys get 2nd chances after doing far, FAR more horrendous things. It's funny the NFL doesn't condone gambling and betting, eventhough it does.

But, they let guys waltz right back on in after getting mulitple rug and tugs, child abuse, domestic violence, etc.

The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

None of those things color the facade of legitimacy the NFL.projects the way player gambling would. Gambling could affect their.legal status.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2023, 08:34 AM by leopold332002.)

For the individuals that are worried that Calvin Ridley he has missed up to 2 years from playing football. Can I interest everyone in Jimmy Smith who missed 2 years In 93 and 94 because of 2 bad injuries among other things before he signed with the jaguars in 1995. My point is Jimmy Smith also didn't play in 2 years and he turned out just fine so please stop worrying everyone it will be alright.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-28-2023, 08:34 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: For the individuals that are worried that Calvin Ridley he has missed up to 2 years from playing football. Can I interest everyone in Jimmy Smith who missed 2 years In 93 and 94 because of 2 bad injuries among other things before he signed with the jaguars in 1995. My point is Jimmy Smith also didn't play in 2 years and he turned out just fine so please stop worrying everyone it will be alright.

And it was the same situation with Smith?  No.  So your logic says if one is OK then the other will be.  It doesn’t work that way.  Two different individuals with two different issues.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-28-2023, 08:34 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: For the individuals that are worried that Calvin Ridley he has missed up to 2 years from playing football. Can I interest everyone in Jimmy Smith who missed 2 years In 93 and 94 because of 2 bad injuries among other things before he signed with the jaguars in 1995. My point is Jimmy Smith also didn't play in 2 years and he turned out just fine so please stop worrying everyone it will be alright.
What about Watson? Did he look good after coming back?

(01-28-2023, 09:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I’ll see your Watson and I’ll raise you Le’Veon Bell.

Plaxico Burress took two years "off" and came back with 612 yards and 8 touchdowns at 34 years old.

There is a wide spectrum of "return to football" stories out there. They are all different.
Ridley is allowed to have his own comeback and it doesn't have to be just like any prior example we can dig up here.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on the limited info we have.

(01-28-2023, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Plaxico Burress took two years "off" and came back with 612 yards and 8 touchdowns at 34 years old.

There is a wide spectrum of "return to football" stories out there. They are all different.
Ridley is allowed to have his own comeback and it doesn't have to be just like any prior example we can dig up here.

I’m optimistic too but I think a lot of people see it as a guarantee and I’m still a tad skeptical.

Which is also why I may still lean Quentin Johnson or Addison if they’re there. 

Long ways to go though before the draft.

(01-28-2023, 09:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

And it was the same situation with Smith?  No.  So your logic says if one is OK then the other will be.  It doesn’t work that way.  Two different individuals with two different issues.
 1st, take the anger out your voice brother is not that serious. Secondly,  although they were different situations but point being is a person can come back and be highly productive player after a 2 year hiatus.

If anything, Jimmy Smith situation was worse because he missed 2 years based on a broken leg and an Appendix Issue that was almost cost him his life.  Jimmy Smith came back to be highly productive without the training regime and medicine that we have available for athletes today.

(01-28-2023, 10:49 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(01-28-2023, 09:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And it was the same situation with Smith?  No.  So your logic says if one is OK then the other will be.  It doesn’t work that way.  Two different individuals with two different issues.
 1st, take the anger out your voice brother is not that serious. Secondly,  although they were different situations but point being is a person can come back and be highly productive player after a 2 year hiatus.

If anything, Jimmy Smith situation was worse because he missed 2 years based on a broken leg and an Appendix Issue that was almost cost him his life.  Jimmy Smith came back to be highly productive without the training regime and medicine that we have available for athletes today.

Anger?

Oh yes, I’m furious.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2023, 11:02 AM by leopold332002. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-28-2023, 09:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

For one thing, Watson play a different position than Calvin Ridley and Watson's position predicate on timing with his receiver's which hurt him coming back this year.  If anything, the best example against Watson is Michael Vick and Michael Vick was a better Quarterback after 2 yrs in prison that he was beforehand when he only had his athleticism to depend on overall.

(01-28-2023, 10:57 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-28-2023, 10:49 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:  1st, take the anger out your voice brother is not that serious. Secondly,  although they were different situations but point being is a person can come back and be highly productive player after a 2 year hiatus.

Anger?

Oh yes, I’m furious.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm asking you as a man let's have a mature Jacksonville jaguars discussion without the necessary drama behind it.  We should be past our beef by now because I've moved on from that situation.

(01-28-2023, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Plaxico Burress took two years "off" and came back with 612 yards and 8 touchdowns at 34 years old.

Plaxico was also in his 11th year in the league at a time and was not a good route runner or speed guy before he shot himself.  Calvin Ridley on the other hand, is great at running routes and short area quickness as well which will help him transition back to the NFL.  Most importantly, we have Doug Peterson as a head coach who knows how to get the best out of his personnel just like Andy Reid.