Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 12:33 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2024, 11:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:27 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Maybe we have the big body on the roster already in Elijah Cooks.  Hopefully he takes some strides in the off season and camp and comes back fighting hard for an increased role. 

Although another small guy, Parker Washington looked more than adequate at the end of the season.  I think we have some jars on the shelf and maybe use another day 3 pick on a guy that hopefully hits early on and maybe we don't miss Ridley all that much if we do indeed let him walk.  Some of those drops he had were at key moments or were in the end zone.

No shot I go into next season with kirk, zay, the rest, and a day 3 guy. That would be one of the worst groups in the legaue. Personally I'd like ridley back and to grab odunze, Coleman, or thomas in the first.

I think you exaggerate with a comment like "worst groups in the league".  Kirk, Zay and Engram are who we had in 2022 and helped us to a 10th ranked offense.  I think one or more the guys behind them becomes a factor next year though I don't disagree about maybe adding someone in free agency. Total offensive output by year:

2022 Jaguars Team Offense

2023 Jaguars Team Offense

I don't necessarily see a marked difference in output with Ridley here.  Maybe it would have shown up more if Zay wasn't out for a good portion of the year.  Yardage was a couple of hundred yards more, yards per attempt down a hair.  There were issues in 2023 that prevented better offensive output for sure, but weren't those issues kinda here in 2022 as well?  Aside from the injuries that is.  Also, I think Fortner not only didn't develop but probably regressed.

Maybe you add a guy like Gabe Davis depending on salary which should be more reasonable.  I'm just not pounding the table for Ridley is all.  He had his own issues this year with the key drops which is aside from the other issues the offense was having to deal with.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2024, 12:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: There's free agency and 6 other rounds for OL. I think we need an alpha #1 target for trevor. And I'm hoping we aren't picking this high again for a while. We also probably won't see a wr class with this many top end talent guys for a while either.
I think the hardest decision for me would be if a stud WR or the LT from Washington are both available at 17.

I think we have to go O-line or D-line

Would only consider another position if a stud falls

(01-10-2024, 12:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 12:00 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I think we should try our best to go WR/OL in rounds 1-2. Baalke needs to figure a way to get back into the 2nd if we resign Ridley, I feel like Rid will only get better with time, he was up and down this year but you can see the potential that is there if our QB has time to throw.

I believe if we resign ridley it's a 3 and not a 2. It was a 2nd if he was extended in season. And yes WR in the 1st and OL in the 2nd would be ideal for me.

It's a 3 if Ridley hits the open market and has the opportunity to sign with another team.  If we give Ridley an extension or new contract before the start of the free agency period, it becomes a 2.  If we let him test the market and he agrees to sign with us anyways, it remains a 3.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-10-2024, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 12:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I believe if we resign ridley it's a 3 and not a 2. It was a 2nd if he was extended in season. And yes WR in the 1st and OL in the 2nd would be ideal for me.

It's a 3 if Ridley hits the open market and has the opportunity to sign with another team.  If we give Ridley an extension or new contract before the start of the free agency period, it becomes a 2.  If we let him test the market and he agrees to sign with us anyways, it remains a 3.

That sounds like what is happening though I've not seen anything to confirm that.  That said, Ridley probably isn't giving the home team a discount with 2 years of missed paychecks in his past, so I would brace myself for him not being here next season for those that are hoping he is as I doubt we're going to make it a priority to outbid everyone else.

(01-10-2024, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 12:09 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I believe if we resign ridley it's a 3 and not a 2. It was a 2nd if he was extended in season. And yes WR in the 1st and OL in the 2nd would be ideal for me.

Correct, it's about him being signed on or before the last day of this League year, March 13, 2024 at 4pm. After that it's a 3rd. Them using the "season" vernacular is confusing folks because they think about game schedules not the League calendar.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 12:31 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: No shot I go into next season with kirk, zay, the rest, and a day 3 guy. That would be one of the worst groups in the legaue. Personally I'd like ridley back and to grab odunze, Coleman, or thomas in the first.

I think you exaggerate with a comment like "worst groups in the league".  Kirk, Zay and Engram are who we had in 2022 and helped us to a 10th ranked offense.  I think one or more the guys behind them becomes a factor next year though I don't disagree about maybe adding someone in free agency.  Total offensive output by year:

I don't necessarily see a marked difference in output with Ridley here.  Maybe it would have shown up more if Zay wasn't out for a good portion of the year.  Yardage was a couple of hundred yards more, yards per attempt down a hair.  There were issues in 2023 that prevented better offensive output for sure, but weren't those issues kinda here in 2022 as well?  Aside from the injuries that is.  Also, I think Fortner not only didn't develop but probably regressed.

Maybe you add a guy like Gabe Davis depending on salary which should be more reasonable.  I'm just not pounding the table for Ridley is all.  He had his own issues this year with the key drops which is aside from the other issues the offense was having to deal with.

Zay needs to go. He's often injured and nothing better than a wr3. If we can add a big bodied number 1 on the outside, have ridley as out other outside guy and kirk in the slot our offense would be so much better. Kirk is a slot guy, you cannot go into next year with zay as your number 1 outside target, you just can't.

If you address your needs in free agency, you can go BAP in the draft.
If you have a potential franchise QB, fixing the offense is a higher priority than fixing the defense.
They need to pick up a starting quality guard and center in free agency. If they renew Cleveland, then they only need a center. If they cut Cam, they obviously would need to replace him. So that's at least 1 or potentially 3 new starting offensive linemen needed in free agency.
They can renew Ridley after he hits the market, or not, it's not a need, just a nice to have.
But as long as they address the offensive line in free agency, they will have the luxury of picking the best available receiver or lineman in the 1st round.
Defense is a lower priority across the board.

(01-10-2024, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: If you address your needs in free agency, you can go BAP in the draft.
If you have a potential franchise QB, fixing the offense is a higher priority than fixing the defense.
They need to pick up a starting quality guard and center in free agency.  If they renew Cleveland, then they only need a center.  If they cut Cam, they obviously would need to replace him. So that's at least 1 or potentially 3 new starting offensive linemen needed in free agency.
They can renew Ridley after he hits the market, or not, it's not a need, just a nice to have.
But as long as they address the offensive line in free agency, they will have the luxury of picking the best available receiver or lineman in the 1st round.

I think the only thing in FA to address for the defense is a big body or two for the middle of the line. Everything else can be added in the draft or we have a slew of young guys already who get the playing time. We MUST fix the lines, nothing else matters.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'm no C/G expert, but would Fortner not be able to just move over to guard and be more effective which is where he mostly played in college? Does the act of snapping the ball put you at a disadvantage to gaining leverage against opposing DTs or is it strictly a strength or body type thing with him? Maybe he just needs to find a good 'roid dealer.

(01-10-2024, 01:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I'm no C/G expert, but would Fortner not be able to just move over to guard and be more effective which is where he mostly played in college?  Does the act of snapping the ball put you at a disadvantage to gaining leverage against opposing DTs or is it strictly a strength or body type thing with him?  Maybe he just needs to find a good 'roid dealer.

His issue is strength then technique. He's not strong enough to play as high as he does at the snap. Playing guard might help that but he's still gotta get stronger either way.

(01-10-2024, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 01:14 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I'm no C/G expert, but would Fortner not be able to just move over to guard and be more effective which is where he mostly played in college?  Does the act of snapping the ball put you at a disadvantage to gaining leverage against opposing DTs or is it strictly a strength or body type thing with him?  Maybe he just needs to find a good 'roid dealer.

His issue is strength then technique. He's not strong enough to play as high as he does at the snap. Playing guard might help that but he's still gotta get stronger either way.

Cam Robinson knows a guy that might be able to help Luke Fortner. Just throwing that out there...
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-10-2024, 01:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

"With the 17th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select....  Richard Rodriguez?"  *Goodell looks around confused*  "... err from Iron Addicts Gym, Miami, FL."

(01-10-2024, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: If you address your needs in free agency, you can go BAP in the draft.
They need to pick up a starting quality guard and center in free agency.  If they renew Cleveland, then they only need a center.  If they cut Cam, they obviously would need to replace him. So that's at least 1 or potentially 3 new starting offensive linemen needed in free agency.

BAP in the draft

LOL

That's [BLEEP] rich. 

This team is going to have little flexibility regarding positional value and how it relates to roster needs in this draft or they will have a complete fan mutiny on their hands - replete with tar, feathers, pitchforks, and Baalke dolls strung up in effigy.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 02:11 PM by Marcos25067. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2024, 01:03 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 12:31 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think you exaggerate with a comment like "worst groups in the league".  Kirk, Zay and Engram are who we had in 2022 and helped us to a 10th ranked offense.  I think one or more the guys behind them becomes a factor next year though I don't disagree about maybe adding someone in free agency.  Total offensive output by year:

Zay needs to go. He's often injured and nothing better than a wr3. If we can add a big bodied number 1 on the outside, have ridley as out other outside guy and kirk in the slot our offense would be so much better. Kirk is a slot guy, you cannot go into next year with zay as your number 1 outside target, you just can't.
I don't agree with this, trevor trust him and he seems to always be there to make the tough catch when trevor need it. 

I am on the opinion that we do not need to create more needs for this team, we already have enough holes to fill. I'm even fine if we don't sign Ridley and don't get a WR1 in free agency and the first two rounds of the draft, we NEED lineman, I don't care about BPA, if there is no linemen in our board left that we think are first rounder , I'm okay trading up to get one. In the last two draft we got a lot of players to fill the back of our roster, we don't need a lot of picks in this draft. 

I think we need to get a OL and a DL in FA, another OL in the first round and a DL in the second...we can get a WR in round three

(01-10-2024, 01:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

BAP in the draft

LOL

That's [BLEEP] rich. 

This team is going to have little flexibility regarding positional value and how it relates to roster needs in this draft or they will have a complete fan mutiny on their hands - replete with tar, feathers, pitchforks, and Baalke dolls strung up in effigy.

If they don't address their needs in free agency, you would be right.  If they do, and they absolutely should, you would be wrong.

(01-10-2024, 02:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 01:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: BAP in the draft

LOL

That's [BLEEP] rich. 

If they don't address their needs in free agency, you would be right.  If they do, and they absolutely should, you would be wrong.

Too many needs, not enough FA dollars to spend for it to work out the way you describe. 

If they pick some redundant horse [BLEEP] in the first three rounds of the draft because the player is "BAP" on their board, the fanbase (including me) will totally [BLEEP] lose it. 

They will require the early and middle round picks to address actual needs - not adding a 5th ILB , a developmental RB or TE, or some player coming off injury who won't contribute until 2025.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 03:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

BPA is the best way to draft imo when your actual board is somewhat accurate and worth a [BLEEP].  They have proven their board sucks year after year.  They had Strange and Bigsby higher on their board than Torrence and Jones. That's just 1 of many examples in the last few years.  Their board sucks!   Maybe they can actually come up with a good bigboard this year

(01-10-2024, 03:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

BPA is the best way to draft imo when your actual board is somewhat accurate and worth a [BLEEP].  They have proven their board sucks year after year.  They had Strange and Bigsby higher on their board than Torrence and Jones. That's just 1 of many examples in the last few years.  Their board sucks!   Maybe they can actually come up with a good bigboard this year

Well, they were committed to running ZBS and Doug clearly asked for athletic, mobile linemen. Neither of those guys fit the common traits for that scheme. 

Personally - I don't think they were wise to limit themselves that way - but I 100% believe that's what happened. 

I also don't think they selected Bigsby or Strange because they were the highest grades on their board at the time either. I think they reached to plug in perceived holes in the roster and they failed (at least in the short term - both players may yet succeed)

(01-10-2024, 03:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 03:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: BPA is the best way to draft imo when your actual board is somewhat accurate and worth a [BLEEP].  They have proven their board sucks year after year.  They had Strange and Bigsby higher on their board than Torrence and Jones. That's just 1 of many examples in the last few years.  Their board sucks!   Maybe they can actually come up with a good bigboard this year

Well, they were committed to running ZBS and Doug clearly asked for athletic, mobile linemen. Neither of those guys fit the common traits for that scheme. 

Personally - I don't think they were wise to limit themselves that way - but I 100% believe that's what happened. 

I also don't think they selected Bigsby or Strange because they were the highest grades on their board at the time either. I think they reached to plug in perceived holes in the roster and they failed (at least in the short term - both players may yet succeed)

I mean considering how little we actually made use of our backup RB and TE added with the fact that two of our best players are starting in those positions I don't think those were exactly holes.

If Balke and Doug thought that they should be fired lol.

(01-10-2024, 06:24 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 03:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, they were committed to running ZBS and Doug clearly asked for athletic, mobile linemen. Neither of those guys fit the common traits for that scheme. 

I mean considering how little we actually made use of our backup RB and TE added with the fact that two of our best players are starting in those positions I don't think those were exactly holes.

If Balke and Doug thought that they should be fired lol.

Baalke.