Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

(11-01-2022, 03:07 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:05 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Are you serious or speculating?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1587520176655826945

I've heard this discussed and I think it is mis-stated.  When Rapoport says "makes the team in 2024", I think he means if he Ridley makes the 2023 team, the pick in 2024 would be _________.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.  How could a 2024 draft pick be based upon whether he makes the team or a 2024 milestone when the 2024 draft comes first?

This is unconfirmed, but I believe it works like this:

2023 Draft:

If Ridley is reinstated by a certain date, the Jaguars give up a 5th rounder.  Otherwise, they give up a 6th rounder.  The date is unknown, but it is safe to say that it is some date prior to the draft.

2024 Draft:

If Ridley doesn't make the 2023 Jaguars team, no pick in 2024.  The just give up the 2023 pick.

If Ridley makes the 2023 Jaguars team, they give up a 2024 fourth round pick.

If Ridley hits the play time milestone in 2023, the 2024 pick goes up to a third rounder.  The exact milestone is unknown.

If Ridley is signed to a long term deal, the 2024 pick up goes to a second rounder.  Keep in mind that Ridley is only signed through 2023.  The Jaguars are only going to extend him if he is playing and playing well.  If he plays at his 2020 level and we extend him long term, he will well be worth the second round pick.

I like this deal!  We desperately needed a #1 receiver.  I thought we would wait for the draft, but that's risky.  What if the value isn't there?  We have more flexibility and options now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-01-2022, 08:22 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Good watch here with Mia O'Brien. Jags reporter and the one who broke the Ridley trade.

She makes some good points. Talks about instead of drafting another WR, go out and get another one that's already developed. Do you trust Baalke in drafting a WR? Hes been terrible at it.

Also goes into some more details about the trade compensation/$$$. Apparently the Falcons will be on the hook for his money next season and we wont pay any of it.

Also talks some about Trevor and Doug.

She also said that when Doug and his staff got here, multiple people in the building told her that it was so bad last year, this team didn't even know how to practice.. Practice.. Last year was an absolute waste and we may never know just how bad it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbEOPv-gSc
Oh I’m good trading for another WR too.

I don’t care how it happens but I want them to still add pieces to the WR room. And not just a 5th round WR or something. A legit receiving option.

(11-01-2022, 08:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 07:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sucks to wait through an offseason to see the fruit, but it's an exciting move. 

Kirk, Zay and Ridley sounds enticing
I would still use one a first or 2nd round pick on an outside WR.

I’m not sold on Zay at all. Jags can upgrade him too.

If there is one at the top of our board when we draft I'm sure we will.

(11-01-2022, 08:24 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:07 PM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1587520176655826945

I've heard this discussed and I think it is mis-stated.  When Rapoport says "makes the team in 2024", I think he means if he Ridley makes the 2023 team, the pick in 2024 would be _________.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.  How could a 2024 draft pick be based upon whether he makes the team or a 2024 milestone when the 2024 draft comes first?

This is unconfirmed, but I believe it works like this:

2023 Draft:

If Ridley is reinstated by a certain date, the Jaguars give up a 5th rounder.  Otherwise, they give up a 6th rounder.  The date is unknown, but it is safe to say that it is some date prior to the draft.

2024 Draft:

If Ridley doesn't make the 2023 Jaguars team, no pick in 2024.  The just give up the 2023 pick.

If Ridley makes the 2023 Jaguars team, they give up a 2024 fourth round pick.

If Ridley hits the play time milestone in 2023, the 2024 pick goes up to a third rounder.  The exact milestone is unknown.

If Ridley is signed to a long term deal, the 2024 pick up goes to a second rounder.  Keep in mind that Ridley is only signed through 2023.  The Jaguars are only going to extend him if he is playing and playing well.  If he plays at his 2020 level and we extend him long term, he will well be worth the second round pick.

I like this deal!  We desperately needed a #1 receiver.  I thought we would wait for the draft, but that's risky.  What if the value isn't there?  We have more flexibility and options now.
If he plays well next year we need to franchise him so we don't have to give up a 2nd and then sign him to an extension later that year

(11-01-2022, 08:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 07:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sucks to wait through an offseason to see the fruit, but it's an exciting move. 

Kirk, Zay and Ridley sounds enticing
I would still use one a first or 2nd round pick on an outside WR.

I’m not sold on Zay at all. Jags can upgrade him too.

Zay looks like a stud on the all22

Open all the time. Great separation. 
On pace for 750 yards this year despite TL not looking his way enough.
Seems like a good guy to have behind Ridley and Kirk to me. 

It's a shame Trevor is evading pressure or looking the wrong way so often when he's beating his guy instead of targeting him more frequently. 

The need for a true X type still looms as you suggest - and the draft would be the best way to find one. Which round they might spend capital on receiver is anyone's guess at this point. Plenty of other areas of need to sort out.

(11-01-2022, 04:31 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:36 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I think its another dumb move by a team that loves to lose,and enjoys being loserville. you trade for a wr who is susspanded,and not the Alpha one jags need. the trade tells me team is doing all they can to make sure they lose more this season,and the next serveal ones.

And with my first blocked poster I now feel like an official fan.

Like the move.   People stating they still want a WR with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft, couple questions.

1. If there were a clear cut #1 TE on the board would you think about picking that player?
2. Is there still a bigger need for an alpha WR over a dominant shut down corner?

1.  If we're picking at #5 overall, then no.  If we win some games in the second half of the season and are drafting around the middle of the first round, it would be on the table.  However, it would need to be a player projected to be pro-bowl caliber.  Otherwise, the positional value isn't there.  Tight ends sometimes fall in the draft.  We have needs at other positions that are less likely to do so.  Personally, I would resign Engram and replace Arnold with a mid round pick to develop.

2.  Prior to Ridley, I would say wide receiver.  After Ridley, I say cornerback.  It's not to say that I wouldn't like to upgrade Zay Jones, but our bigger need is cornerback.  Given his high salary, I don't see Shaquill Griffin being back.  I think Tre Herndon sucks, but even if he didn't, he's a free agent at the end of the season.  Assuming we don't sign someone in free agency, it leaves Chris Claybrooks who is a good special teams player, but a disaster at cornerback and Montaric Brown, a seventh rounder who has yet to take a regular season defensive snap.  Assuming Ridley is reinstated, I think the odds are heavily in favor of cornerback being taken in the first round over wide receiver.

Tre herndon is a good 4th or 5th cb

(11-01-2022, 08:51 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:31 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: And with my first blocked poster I now feel like an official fan.

Like the move.   People stating they still want a WR with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft, couple questions.

1. If there were a clear cut #1 TE on the board would you think about picking that player?
2. Is there still a bigger need for an alpha WR over a dominant shut down corner?

1.  If we're picking at #5 overall, then no.  If we win some games in the second half of the season and are drafting around the middle of the first round, it would be on the table.  However, it would need to be a player projected to be pro-bowl caliber.  Otherwise, the positional value isn't there.  Tight ends sometimes fall in the draft.  We have needs at other positions that are less likely to do so.  Personally, I would resign Engram and replace Arnold with a mid round pick to develop.

2.  Prior to Ridley, I would say wide receiver.  After Ridley, I say cornerback.  It's not to say that I wouldn't like to upgrade Zay Jones, but our bigger need is cornerback.  Given his high salary, I don't see Shaquill Griffin being back.  I think Tre Herndon sucks, but even if he didn't, he's a free agent at the end of the season.  Assuming we don't sign someone in free agency, it leaves Chris Claybrooks who is a good special teams player, but a disaster at cornerback and Montaric Brown, a seventh rounder who has yet to take a regular season defensive snap.  Assuming Ridley is reinstated, I think the odds are heavily in favor of cornerback being taken in the first round over wide receiver.

I would definitely resign Engram. Gotta add another through the draft for sure. Can Luke Farrell step up into Manhertz's role?

I also think CB jumped to the top of the list as well. Tyson is good and Williams is solid. Gotta get another dude to round out that group. Question is do you take the top guy (obviously depending on where we pick), or bank on the depth of the CB class and wait till day 2.

It's worth a gamble on him. However, taking a year off for mental issues doesn't leave me too optimistic. And the gambling penalty was too harsh. He will be rusty. Hopefully, he works out.

I appreciate the fact that Baalke is trying to increase the talent level on the team.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 05:58 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think the structure of the transaction makes it a low-risk, high reward type of deal. If it doesn't work out, the draft pick compensation is not very much.

(11-01-2022, 04:31 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:36 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: I think its another dumb move by a team that loves to lose,and enjoys being loserville. you trade for a wr who is susspanded,and not the Alpha one jags need. the trade tells me team is doing all they can to make sure they lose more this season,and the next serveal ones.

And with my first blocked poster I now feel like an official fan.

I'll answer #2.  Since we've lost 3 games when the other team completed a long pass to win the game, I'd go for the dominant shut-down corner.

My only criticism here is that is shows you the cap dollars were misallocated this season to the WR room. They upgraded but the guys they bought were not what we really needed. This also implies we need to get out of these contracts in the next two years. For this reason, i would not resign Engram. We have a WR room filled with two's and three's.

With ETN we really need a big huge banger back. I also think we need a monster DT and some OL. I think drafting the right kind of S is important. All in all Ridley is the best move the Jags have made since drafting Ramsey.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(11-02-2022, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think the structure of the transaction makes it a low-risk, high reward type of deal.  If it doesn't work out, the draft pick compensation is not very much.

(11-01-2022, 04:31 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: And with my first blocked poster I now feel like an official fan.

I'll answer #2.  Since we've lost 3 games when the other team completed a long pass to win the game, I'd go for the dominant shut-down corner.

The right answer is still the trenches.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-01-2022, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: That you know of.  He’s a dumb [BLEEP] for betting on games in his position.  You lose any benefit of the doubt at that point.

It's what was reported.  There would be a huge difference from betting on your own team than against your team

And this is the reasoning that he was suspended for an entire season. The rules are in place to more or less prevent betting on your team and tanking to cash in.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(11-02-2022, 06:45 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's what was reported.  There would be a huge difference from betting on your own team than against your team

And this is the reasoning that he was suspended for an entire season. The rules are in place to more or less prevent betting on your team and tanking to cash in.

NH3...

Maybe it's just too early for me, or I don't understand how betting on sports works......but if you bet on your team to win - how does tanking help you cash in?  If you are tanking, it's so that you lose - so I can see the problem with a player betting on his team to lose, that's not what has been reported in Ridley's case.

(11-02-2022, 06:09 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: My only criticism here is that is shows you the cap dollars were misallocated this season to the WR room.  They upgraded but the guys they bought were not what we really needed.  This also implies we need to get out of these contracts in the next two years.  For this reason, i would not resign Engram.  We have a WR room filled with two's and three's. 

With ETN we really need a big huge banger back.  I also think we need a monster DT and some OL.  I think drafting the right kind of S is important.  All in all Ridley is the best move the Jags have made since drafting Ramsey.

No, what it shows is that they haven't finished building the team.  Every guy we signed was needed.  But we still need more.

https://youtu.be/2lUcSANAHXU

(11-02-2022, 07:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/2lUcSANAHXU

Really enjoyed seeing Shaq fall down trying to cover him.  Lol

(11-02-2022, 06:09 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: My only criticism here is that is shows you the cap dollars were misallocated this season to the WR room.  They upgraded but the guys they bought were not what we really needed.  This also implies we need to get out of these contracts in the next two years.  For this reason, i would not resign Engram.  We have a WR room filled with two's and three's. 

With ETN we really need a big huge banger back.  I also think we need a monster DT and some OL.  I think drafting the right kind of S is important.  All in all Ridley is the best move the Jags have made since drafting Ramsey.
Banger back? I hardly know her.