Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 08:13 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-02-2022, 07:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 06:09 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: My only criticism here is that is shows you the cap dollars were misallocated this season to the WR room.  They upgraded but the guys they bought were not what we really needed.  This also implies we need to get out of these contracts in the next two years.  For this reason, i would not resign Engram.  We have a WR room filled with two's and three's. 

With ETN we really need a big huge banger back.  I also think we need a monster DT and some OL.  I think drafting the right kind of S is important.  All in all Ridley is the best move the Jags have made since drafting Ramsey.

No, what it shows is that they haven't finished building the team.  Every guy we signed was needed.  But we still need more.

This. They did just enough in the off season to become a lot more competitive and competent as a football team. Now, they're just simply lacking a few critical components to putting them over the top. Biggest thing is just time and chemistry as a unit on both sides while learning with new coaches and systems.

The two biggest issues this year have been the lack of a legitimate threat on the outside that commands respect and draws coverage in his direction. The other issue has been the inability to effectively close out games on defense down the final stretch and get to the QB on 3rd downs. 

A lot of that can be addressed now in one off season IF they do a good job scouting and picking the right player or two. Ridley is just another stepping stone towards the ascension of a team that's capable of winning. However, they'll still need a 50/50 tall target at WR, another TE or two depending on what happens with Engram and Arnold, a viable pass rushing NT, a CB & possibly a G. 

So, WR, TE, NT & CB. Those have to be your biggest four priorities going into next year. I would say G and T are needed but the impact we need at the skill positions has greater need and value. I think Lawrence with Pederson going into year two should look, feel and move a lot better overall to continue to mask some of those weaknesses we have seen at times on the offensive line.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't believe he's a number one but I figured some on the board would feel otherwise. Happy to see fans fanning per usual.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-02-2022, 08:38 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Don't believe he's a number one but I figured some on the board would feel otherwise.  Happy to see fans fanning per usual.

Genuinely curious how you and some others don't see him as a #1?

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 08:51 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-02-2022, 08:43 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 08:38 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Don't believe he's a number one but I figured some on the board would feel otherwise.  Happy to see fans fanning per usual.

Genuinely curious how you and some others don't see him as a #1?
I think their only hesitation  is if he can come back and be the same guy after taking almost 2 years off.

I think/hope he can but I can see where others have a hesitation.

(11-01-2022, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:01 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Hopefully he’s grown up a little with his league imposed timeout.  And hopefully the comp is minimal.

The compensation is very far from minimal. Hopefully it's a high bar to have to give the 2024 2nd rounder.

question I have is that if we wait until FA, that's not an extension, right? Fully new deal. If he does pan out, I kinda wonder if we just have a wink and a nod agreement in place ready to go on the first day of FA.

We're talking about Baalke, he's supposed to be underhanded, right? Smile

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 09:41 AM by Mikey.)

(11-01-2022, 03:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 03:19 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: What? Guy had 1300 yards and 90 catches in 2020 and Julio was fading fast that year.

Based on the gigantic 11.3 targets per game that would have led the league by like 15. That's not stellar game play, it's good but also driven a lot by volume. It's a good pickup, but the WR corps isn't complete because of it. We still have a need in the most important aspects of our WR corps weaknesses...primarily red zone but also just someone to try to let win a ball it when no one is open.

...what do you want out of your #1 receiver if not a heap of targets thrown their way?

(11-01-2022, 03:54 PM)Preach Wrote: I guess we don't care about this year

This year was never about this year. Plain and simple.

(11-01-2022, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: That you know of.  He’s a dumb [BLEEP] for betting on games in his position.  You lose any benefit of the doubt at that point.

It's what was reported.  There would be a huge difference from betting on your own team than against your team

no difference. players should know not to put their own cash on the table on any shield games. Period, full stop.

That said, he's not the first athlete to make a poor off-field decision. Our only hope is that he learned, and doesn't double down on dumb choices.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 09:50 AM by MikePete54.)

I'm very surprised by the fact that 90% of this board is enthusiastic by this trade.

I really like the player, but by the start of next season, he will have been 2 years without playing football. And almost 29 years old in december 2023.

Let's hope that he is healthy (mentally and physically). If he is, this trade is a great.

With Zay, Kirk and Ridley, I would not pick a WR in the first 2 rounds next draft. We have too many holes (CB, OL) to fill.

Ridley - Kirk - Zay - Agnew - Engram is a nice group.

(11-01-2022, 05:36 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Good News.  As long as he doesn't play, then Trevor can't throw an interception in the end zone attempting to get him the ball.

Obtaining ineligible WRs may be our best path forward in the red zone.

If you aren't already working at a comedy club, you need to be.

(11-01-2022, 04:52 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: So it's a Pete Rose situation.

Personally, I'd have Pete in the HOF, so I don't have a problem with this guy betting on his own team.   It was a dumb move by him, but it's a forgivable learning experience IMO.

I mean, if you look at corporations that give performance based bonuses or profit sharing, how is betting on your own team any different?  You will be motivated to work above and beyond to reap additional compensation.  Same person in different clothes, IMO.  I think it should be legal.

What do you do when the corporation sees bigger value in your sales figures tanking this quarter, and ask you to underperform or fudge the books just so they make out like bandits, in exchange for this um, fancy new suitcase? No idea what's in it, might be nothing, might be a bunch of crisp new hundos all wrapped into neat stacks. 

Think of it this way. First round pick, probably worth 8 figures. Does he NEED to slap down a few G's on his buds getting a dub while he's sittin at home? He just as easily could have thrown down on the Bama game or the ponies, or found someone playing three card monty if he just had to get his fix.

(11-02-2022, 09:50 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: I'm very surprised by the fact that 90% of this board is enthusiastic by this trade.

I really like the player, but by the start of next season, he will have been 2 years without playing football. And almost 29 years old in december 2023.

Let's hope that he is healthy (mentally and physically). If he is, this trade is a great.

With Zay, Kirk and Ridley, I would not pick a WR in the first 2 rounds next draft. We have too many holes (CB, OL) to fill.

I think they actually need to double down for the reasons you stated above. Ridley is a low risk investment. It's highly incentive based. He automatically walks into Jacksonville as one the more decorated receivers we've ever had. However, you have to keep throwing talent out there around Lawrence. 

We're also assuming that Engram wants to come back here in 2023. We also have Arnold and Manhertz entering free agency. I would say the TE position becomes an immediate need, more so than CB and OL. My reason behind that is due to the fact that already have Darious Williams on contract and he should be able to replace Griffin on the outside. 

I also think they need to make a decision on Walker Little. Either, he's playing G and competing with Bartch/Shatley or replacing Taylor at RT I guess if they decide not to resign him. Agnew cannot stay healthy. He's a great option when he's out there, but, that's the problem. Poor guy just can't make it through a full season. 

I say, on the opening night of the draft? You need to get Quentin Johnston out of TCU and you need to honestly get back up into the draft and select Michael Mayer at TE. I don't care if that means you're forking over a future 1st or 2nd RD pick in 2024 to make that happen. We need to strike early while we can. 

I also think they need to DOUBLE DOWN at these positions and they need to get even more options. Again, Dontay Demus Jr, AT Perry at WR and Darnell Washington and Zack Kuntz at TE. They need to stockpile. Good chance you might want to opt out of Kirk's contract IF Ridley outshines everybody and Kirk is not taking advantage of his opportunities, etc.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-02-2022, 09:50 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: I'm very surprised by the fact that 90% of this board is enthusiastic by this trade.

I didn't realize he's been in the league as long as he has, initially I hoped that we would get his fourth season contract on the books in 23 (probably around 2M or so)...looks like we'll be paying 5th year option money, close to 11M to test the waters. That hurts a bit, but we take 8.7 off the books by letting MJJ's contract elapse without a renewal. If it works out, paying 3M to upgrade MJJ is quite worth it.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 12:52 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-02-2022, 09:46 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 04:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's what was reported.  There would be a huge difference from betting on your own team than against your team

no difference. players should know not to put their own cash on the table on any shield games. Period, full stop.

That said, he's not the first athlete to make a poor off-field decision. Our only hope is that he learned, and doesn't double down on dumb choices.
I disagree, if he bet against his team I bet he would of got even longer and it would of been even a much bigger deal

When you look at the 2023 WR FA class, this makes even more sense.

I want a room like the Fins have. Gimme even more speed and playmakers at the WR position.

(11-02-2022, 10:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: When you look at the 2023 WR FA class, this makes even more sense.

I want a room like the Fins have. Gimme even more speed and playmakers at the WR position.

This. Do what you have to do to get bigger, faster and more explosive on the outside. I'll keep saying it over and over again. 

Quentin Johnston, Dontay Demus Jr. & AT Perry at WR. 

Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington & Zack Kuntz at TE.

[Image: giphy.gif]

If he's reinstated in the Spring (which is likely) he'll get a full offseason with the Jags.
They'll know by mid-July if he's going to reacclimate or not.

I don't see any huge risk here at 11mil for a receiver that was capable of 1300 yards in 15 games in 2020

I think that it’s a good risk reward. Now draft a wr number 1 overall.

We need to build a Run n Shoot team. Now that the defense isn't allowed to touch the QB it should be a ripe environment for the Arena League strategies.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-02-2022, 10:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 09:46 AM)Mikey Wrote: no difference. players should know not to put their own cash on the table on any shield games. Period, full stop.

I disagree, if he det against his team I bet he would of get even longer and it would of been even a much bigger deal

I'd take that det.

betting on the sport is unacceptable by the league, regardless of whether he bet for or against his own team. You(ok, Goodell and probably the owners) don't want to open the avenue for the billion dollar betting industry to find an in-road to getting a fix in, or even giving anyone a chance to suggest such corruption.

He could "of" det on so many other things, it was a dumb choice for him to make. I believe he was used to set an example. Harsh penalty to get the point across that any dets by players on the games will not be taken lightly.

(I'm being cheeky about your typo, hopefully it doesn't come across as rude)

(11-02-2022, 12:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We need to build a Run n Shoot team. Now that the defense isn't allowed to touch the QB it should be a ripe environment for the Arena League strategies.

[Image: tumblr_lkc373JZQy1qi3n3go1_500.gif]

(11-02-2022, 12:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We need to build a Run n Shoot team. Now that the defense isn't allowed to touch the QB it should be a ripe environment for the Arena League strategies.

Go back and watch how the Run and Shoot fizzled once the fields got short. We already have enough difficulty in the red zone, TYVM. Big Grin