Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Pass Protection Win Rate

(12-16-2022, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 08:47 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Trevor Lawrence has been sacked 23 times this season which is 3rd best in the NFL.

Carr and Mahommes has been sacked 21 times.

For the nineteenth time:

"Low Sack numbers for mobile QBs are not an indicator of positive OL performance."

I get what you're saying, but without putting words onto JF24's keyboard, I don't know that the intent was along that line of thought. Carr and Mahomes are some good company to keep when talking about sack avoidance. Both have worlds more experience than our guy, and while both are mobile, I don't think either are getting their stats exclusively by tucking and running every time pressure looms.

I can remember Manning frustrated the heck outta me because, while he was never mobile, his release was so quick that you could pressure him all day, but he'd get that ball out before taking the negative play. There's been a lot said lately about TLaw's development, as he's confirmed that the game is slowing down for him, some have noticed he's changed how he reacts to pressure, the play calls allow him to make plays out of the pocket, etc. Whether it's his wits or a stalwart line, not taking sacks is a beneficial stat.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-16-2022, 09:28 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 09:06 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: For the nineteenth time:

"Low Sack numbers for mobile QBs are not an indicator of positive OL performance."

I get what you're saying, but without putting words onto JF24's keyboard, I don't know that the intent was along that line of thought. Carr and Mahomes are some good company to keep when talking about sack avoidance. Both have worlds more experience than our guy, and while both are mobile, I don't think either are getting their stats exclusively by tucking and running every time pressure looms.

I can remember Manning frustrated the heck outta me because, while he was never mobile, his release was so quick that you could pressure him all day, but he'd get that ball out before taking the negative play. There's been a lot said lately about TLaw's development, as he's confirmed that the game is slowing down for him, some have noticed he's changed how he reacts to pressure, the play calls allow him to make plays out of the pocket, etc. Whether it's his wits or a stalwart line, not taking sacks is a beneficial stat.

A low sack total is a great stat. 

But it's one that the poster above has used repeatedly to tell us that our OL protection is good. 

It is not good.

It is nearly the worst in the league in one on one blocking win rate. 
More specifically -  our individual linemen lose their blocking assignments too quickly and do so more often than all but two other teams in the league when their losses are added collectively.

(12-16-2022, 09:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 09:28 AM)Mikey Wrote: I get what you're saying, but without putting words onto JF24's keyboard, I don't know that the intent was along that line of thought. Carr and Mahomes are some good company to keep when talking about sack avoidance. Both have worlds more experience than our guy, and while both are mobile, I don't think either are getting their stats exclusively by tucking and running every time pressure looms.

A low sack total is a great stat. 

But it's one that the poster above has used repeatedly to tell us that our OL protection is good. 

It is not good.

More specifically -  our individual linemen lose their blocking assignments too quickly and do so more often than all but two other teams in the league when their losses are added collectively.

So replace everyone? Lol
Think Cam is here next year no matter what. Fortner is a rookie think he'll be okay eventually but he is often a low scorer on pff. Scherff and his contract likely keep him here for another season right?
So will two new (rookie or FA) OL going to help that much next year? Probably a good thing TLaw is so good at avoiding the sacks.

(12-16-2022, 11:02 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 09:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: A low sack total is a great stat. 

It is not good.

So replace everyone? Lol
Think Cam is here next year no matter what. Fortner is a rookie think he'll be okay eventually but he is often a low scorer on pff. Scherff and his contract likely keep him here for another season right?
So will two new (rookie or FA) OL going to help that much next year? Probably a good thing TLaw is so good at avoiding the sacks.

No

Most of the issues are at LG, C, and LT in that order.

Like you said, we can't really do anything about Cam next year.

But we will get Bartch back at left guard. 
So the thing to do in my opinion, is to draft an interior player with the ability to play center or guard early in the draft. (Prior to 4th rd)

That way if Fortner continues on this path and does not develop/improve, you have a contingency. 
Otherwise the new player will be battling Bartch for the left guard spot and you've improved IOL depth.

I'm late to this party...

Just my 2 cents...

1. Cam Robinson is a liability, I don't know how he's still playing at Tackle, maybe it's because at least that way Trevor can see where the [BLEEP] is about to hit the fan... Trevor Lawrence has made Robinson look better than he is.
2. Jawaan Taylor needs to be somehow kept for at least another year.
4. Scherf and Taylor at the Guard/Tackle positions are such great team-mates. Those 2 actually work together as a pass blocking force.
3. I love Fortner, as our rookie Center . Such a great attitude and work ethic, and he's smart. He's gonna get better over time.
5. There is room for improvement on the Left Side.

With that said, the Front Office is in a tough spot. Cam Robinson can't be cut. He's got too big a dead cap. That's a problem. Especially if you are gonna try and Low Ball Jawaan Taylor... And if you do that, you're gonna need to pray that Little is gonna be good enough to replace Taylor.

I'd rather dump Cam Robinson and replace that dud with Little. But the salary Hell that we are in... Baalke... dictates that we probably lose Jawaan Taylor. And that gives me heart burn so much that I can't sleep at night.

(12-16-2022, 11:20 AM)carp8dm Wrote: I'm late to this party...

Just my 2 cents...

1.  Cam Robinson is a liability, I don't know how he's still playing at Tackle, maybe it's because at least that way Trevor can see where the [BLEEP] is about to hit the fan...  Trevor Lawrence has made Robinson look better than he is.
2.  Jawaan Taylor needs to be somehow kept for at least another year. 
4.  Scherf and Taylor at the Guard/Tackle positions are such great team-mates. Those 2 actually work together as a pass blocking force.
3.  I love Fortner, as our rookie Center . Such a great attitude and work ethic, and he's smart.  He's gonna get better over time.
5.  There is room for improvement on the Left Side. 

With that said, the Front Office is in a tough spot.  Cam Robinson can't be cut.  He's got too big a dead cap.  That's a problem.  Especially if you are gonna try and Low Ball Jawaan Taylor...  And if you do that, you're gonna need to pray that Little is gonna be good enough to replace Taylor. 

I'd rather dump Cam Robinson and replace that dud with Little.  But the salary Hell that we are in...  Baalke... dictates that we probably lose Jawaan Taylor.  And that gives me heart burn so much that I can't sleep at night.

Regarding 1 and 5 it's telling that you forget about Walker Little who is the guy drafted early to play that position. I'd agree with you we'd better hope he's good as RT but we'll find out soon enough...

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022, 11:27 AM by carp8dm. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-16-2022, 11:22 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 11:20 AM)carp8dm Wrote: I'm late to this party...

Just my 2 cents...

1.  Cam Robinson is a liability, I don't know how he's still playing at Tackle, maybe it's because at least that way Trevor can see where the [BLEEP] is about to hit the fan...  Trevor Lawrence has made Robinson look better than he is.
2.  Jawaan Taylor needs to be somehow kept for at least another year. 
4.  Scherf and Taylor at the Guard/Tackle positions are such great team-mates. Those 2 actually work together as a pass blocking force.
3.  I love Fortner, as our rookie Center . Such a great attitude and work ethic, and he's smart.  He's gonna get better over time.
5.  There is room for improvement on the Left Side. 

With that said, the Front Office is in a tough spot.  Cam Robinson can't be cut.  He's got too big a dead cap.  That's a problem.  Especially if you are gonna try and Low Ball Jawaan Taylor...  And if you do that, you're gonna need to pray that Little is gonna be good enough to replace Taylor. 

I'd rather dump Cam Robinson and replace that dud with Little.  But the salary Hell that we are in...  Baalke... dictates that we probably lose Jawaan Taylor.  And that gives me heart burn so much that I can't sleep at night.

Regarding 1 and 5 it's telling that you forget about Walker Little who is the guy drafted early to play that position. I'd agree with you we'd better hope he's good as RT but we'll find out soon enough...

I think you skimmed what I wrote...  Because I actually did mention Walker Little

EDIT - Just because I didn't mention Little within 1-5 doesn't mean the remainder of my analysis was to be disregarded. I provided my analysis in 1-5 and gave you my conclusion afterwards. So you basically missed the entire point of my post.

You have to look at the entire offensive line as a whole. They have given up the 3rd least sacks in the league. That same offensive line has blocked pretty good for Etienne, who is averaging 5.0 ypc.

They ain’t the best and ain’t the worst. What Jawaan Taylor has done this season is incredible.

The clips are cool to watch but without knowing the calls, who knows what was supposed to happen. I appreciate the breakdown. I see plays like this at every position on the field. I’ve seen many times a WR could have blocked a player that made the tackle.

(12-16-2022, 05:23 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: You have to look at the entire offensive line as a whole. They have given up the 3rd least sacks in the league. That same offensive line has blocked pretty good for Etienne, who is averaging 5.0 ypc.

They ain’t the best and ain’t the worst. What Jawaan Taylor has done this season is incredible.

The clips are cool to watch but without knowing the calls, who knows what was supposed to happen. I appreciate the breakdown. I see plays like this at every position on the field. I’ve seen many times a WR could have blocked a player that made the tackle.

One thing I'll say about Taylor is I almost expect a false start flag most downs because he gets such a jump off the snap. I don't know if he's always been that way or it's something new, but that quick release gets me every time.