Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Move Travon Walker inside on passing downs?

(12-06-2022, 01:32 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 12:44 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote: To be fair Bryan's the type of player you get at the end of the first.

You want to draft prospects with measurables who produced in a big conference but they go in the top 10 if not top 5.

At the end of rd 1 you're taking people with measurables but not production, people with production but not measurables or measurables and production but for a small school against nobodies.

I think the Bryan pick was fine even though it didn't work.

Oh, agreed but that kind of implies Walker should have been a late first rounder, doesn't it? Or at the very least not really the first overall. It's a shame we had the first overall when there was no obvious number one overall pick.
I don't know really.

Walker is a different level than Bryan

Bryan's an athletic guy Walker's something of a physical freak.

They get drafted VERY high as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 08:57 PM by OG-JAGFAN.)

As of right now. Pff ranks Walker the following out of 128 eligible pass rushers.

Total 94th
PSRH 113th
Run D 77th
Coverage 14th

I guess he can cover but that's about it currently.

https://youtu.be/ok9o8MLMB-c

Travon hate is the new Trevor hate

(12-08-2022, 11:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Travon hate is the new Trevor hate

I do not think it's "hate."  I think it's real concern.  When you draft a guy #1 overall there are some expectations that come along with that. He just is not performing on the field. His stats and the eye test proves that. People have every right to have concern. I have seen very very few flashes so far. That is concerning.

(12-09-2022, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

I do not think it's "hate."  I think it's real concern.  When you draft a guy #1 overall there are some expectations that come along with that. He just is not performing on the field. His stats and the eye test proves that. People have every right to have concern. I have seen very very few flashes so far. That is concerning.

It's insanely premature concern - just like it was with Trevor

(12-09-2022, 12:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I do not think it's "hate."  I think it's real concern.  When you draft a guy #1 overall there are some expectations that come along with that. He just is not performing on the field. His stats and the eye test proves that. People have every right to have concern. I have seen very very few flashes so far. That is concerning.

It's insanely premature concern - just like it was with Trevor
Trevor flashed his rookie season several times. Travon has not

(12-06-2022, 12:47 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Anyone remember in the preseason when we ran that nascar package with allen/walker on the outside and key/smoot on the inside? Have we even tried that since the season started?

They used that package quite often and it hasn't worked since preseason lol.

Weird how TRent Balkes first 3 first round picks were TRevor, TRavis and TRavon.

hmmm

He needs to practice karate chops and spin moves all day in practice. Let him play some madden and see all the pass rushing moves he should be trying.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 09:21 AM by Mikey.)

gotta have a scapegoat.

AT ALL TIMES

(12-09-2022, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

but it's not like the same issue we had with Chaisson, where we could see others performing, and he was just lost.
This entire defense is bend, but keep bending.

I think the gripes would be a lot more legit if Allen were on a tear, Walker was getting pancaked every down, or something other than "he looks more raw than steak tartare".

(12-09-2022, 01:05 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Weird how TRent Balkes first 3 first round picks were TRevor, TRavis and TRavon.

hmmm

....and Devin.  V for Victory!!

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 01:39 PM by CanDoBetter. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-09-2022, 09:17 AM)Mikey Wrote:

gotta have a scapegoat.

AT ALL TIMES

(12-09-2022, 12:19 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: I do not think it's "hate."  I think it's real concern.  When you draft a guy #1 overall there are some expectations that come along with that. He just is not performing on the field. His stats and the eye test proves that. People have every right to have concern. I have seen very very few flashes so far. That is concerning.

but it's not like the same issue we had with Chaisson, where we could see others performing, and he was just lost.

I think the gripes would be a lot more legit if Allen were on a tear, Walker was getting pancaked every down, or something other than "he looks more raw than steak tartare".

The defense is bad and that includes Walker. If anything I think there should be more discussion about Josh Allen but with Walker it's obvious there will be discussions about him and how he's playing. That comes with being the first overall pick. I don't think he's being singled out either. 

I also think we should be able to expect a certain standard from him. That most certainly includes comparisons with other early first round picks, especially those that play similar positions. 

I also think this thread is a good example of trying to find a solution to his lack of production. -Yes, he's not been so good at his current position but what about moving him inside? Maybe that's a bad suggestion, I don't know. I do remember the coaches were trying to move Taven Bryan to an unfamiliar position his first season.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022, 02:19 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-09-2022, 01:37 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 09:17 AM)Mikey Wrote: gotta have a scapegoat.

AT ALL TIMES

The defense is bad and that includes Walker. If anything I think there should be more discussion about Josh Allen but with Walker it's obvious there will be discussions about him and how he's playing. That comes with being the first overall pick. I don't think he's being singled out either. 

I also think we should be able to expect a certain standard from him. That most certainly includes comparisons with other early first round picks, especially those that play similar positions. 

I also think this thread is a good example of trying to find a solution to his lack of production. -Yes, he's not been so good at his current position but what about moving him inside? Maybe that's a bad suggestion, I don't know. I do remember the coaches were trying to move Taven Bryan to an unfamiliar position his first season.

It's frustrating. It really feels like sometimes ego and being the smartest guy in the room is resulting in a lot of these hiccups and speed bumps for these football players. 

It's a lot of finger pointing when nothing good is happening out there. I really put this back on Baalke and Caldwell though. I don't know about all of the rumors and hushed whispers that got posted on here but it's obvious there's a disconnect.

Again, my biggest takeaway from all of this after twelve weeks in are:

1. What did Baalke, his scouting team and Caldwell see in Walker and Lloyd that made them confident in them being able to play two completely different positions at the highest level of this sport.

&

2. Why is nothing being done outside of limiting there snap counts or outright benching them to improve the situation? You put these guys in these positions to begin with. They have failed them. Period. 

That also brings me back to the frustrating part with this fanbase and the coaches. "It's too late to make changes". Why? Why is it too late? Tell me, what have they done over the last twelve weeks to indicate that they should continue on this current path in their current roles? 

What's the worst thing that could happen by moving Walker to 3-technique and inside and Lloyd over to weakside? Same results we've been seeing already over the last twelve weeks with them playing upright and out of position? For [BLEEP]'s sakes man. Something has to give here....

I would rather them try something else and fail versus continuing to keep trying what they've been doing which they're clearly failing at. Also, look, if they move around a bit and allllllll of a sudden, they start showing up on the stat sheet more and making impact plays? Sure, some of us we'll be pissed off that you waited this long to make the obvious switch. But...

AT LEAST YOU DID IT. Better late than never man.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It doesn't seem like coach Caldwell will do anything out of the ordinary. Maybe if we were lucky enough to have a great offensive coordinator and a half way decent defense coach at the same time, this team could win a lot more games.

Looked like Caldwell sent more stunts yesterday and also played Walker with his hand in the dirt a bit more.

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...QhwcbBKqOg

(12-12-2022, 03:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Looked like Caldwell sent more stunts yesterday and also played Walker with his hand in the dirt a bit more.

I feel like we've tried a 34 look and it hasn't transitioned well and Allen and Walker both probably better as 43 ends?
Perhaps a move back toward 43 primary look next year?

(12-12-2022, 03:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Looked like Caldwell sent more stunts yesterday and also played Walker with his hand in the dirt a bit more.

His strip sack he was playing with his hand in the dirt. He is not an outside stand up lb. I think they need to keep him on the dline. Some saying he is not strong enough but I believe that is hog wash. If I am the coach he is playing dline the rest of his career.

(12-12-2022, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote:

I feel like we've tried a 34 look and it hasn't transitioned well and Allen and Walker both probably better as 43 ends?

Allen should be a 43 Sam. Walker should be a 43 RE.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-12-2022, 03:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote: I feel like we've tried a 34 look and it hasn't transitioned well and Allen and Walker both probably better as 43 ends?

Allen should be a 43 Sam. Walker should be a 43 RE.

With Lloyd at will and Oluokun at mike

Rotate Smoot and Key at the other DE spot until you land another one.

No, just get him to use his hands. He needs to bring his hands and length to bear in the pass rush. When he develops that hel be a problem.