Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Dave Caldwell stay if Bradley is fired?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Does Dave Caldwell deserve a second opportunity to hire a coach?

Quote:IMHO definitely yes. Whatever happens this year Dave should stay and have the same role and power next year.

I just wonder how many of you 'yes' voters will still be saying this should the situation arise. If Gus is gets canned, that means the we didn't improve enough from last year to this. That will mean some/most/all of Dave's recent/unproven draft picks and new signings didn't pan out.

How many of you will still be giving Dave the benefit of the doubt if Jackson and Ivory take the money and get fat, Fowler keeps running into OTs expecting them to just fall over, Thomas doesn't turn it around, Jack and Ramsey don't get it figured out in year 1, Myers costs a bunch of games with missed XPs and Joke keeps playing on roller skates, a number 3 WR doesn't emerge etc etc?

Not saying you guys are fickle or anything, but I'm guessing this poll looks pretty different if we finish with 7 wins or fewer.

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">Dave Caldwell has selected Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, Brandon Linder and found Allen Hurns. He stays no matter what the record is this year and its up to the coach to get the best out of his talented roster especially after the GM provided to you on a silver platter. My friend, teams around the league won more games with less talent than what we have on this roster right now so no more excuses for Gus at all. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Toby Gerhart says hello.

He's had a few misses, to be sure.  But the mark of a good GM is that the hits out weigh the misses.  You would agree that besides a few stand out wiffs, Caldwell has hit on way more players than he's missed on.  Agreed?

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 07:48 AM by leopold332002.)

Quote:He's had a few misses, to be sure.  But the mark of a good GM is that the hits out weigh the misses.  You would agree that besides a few stand out wiffs, Caldwell has hit on way more players than he's missed on.  Agreed?
I agree because no GM not even one of the best talent evaluates in NFL history Bill Walsh, The Hoodie and Jimmy Johnson, Bill Polian among many others don't bat 1000 on draft picks and free agent signings. They all have misses but the great ones have more hits than misses and hit home runs and Dave Caldwell has done that for this franchise. 

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 07:47 AM by JackCity.)

He just seems like a really smart logical thinking guy. His only major blip so far is hiring a rookie HC to oversee a complete roster rebuild whilst he was a rookie GM.

Highlights of his reign have been getting picks for Gabbert/Scobee and for picking Myles Jack and Ramsey this year.

Quote:He just seems like a really smart logical thinking guy. His only major blip so far is hiring a rookie HC to oversee a complete roster rebuild whilst he was a rookie GM.

Highlights of his reign have been getting picks for Gabbert/Scobee and for picking Myles Jack and Ramsey this year.
Maybe he had to go that route because how many hot candidate coaches want to be apart of a rebuilding process so in my opinion what other options did he have besides retread head coaches. 

Quote:He just seems like a really smart logical thinking guy. His only major blip so far is hiring a rookie HC to oversee a complete roster rebuild whilst he was a rookie GM.

The only thing I can say for Gus, is he's done a hell of a job keeping this locker room together through the midst of this. There are a lot of coaches (probably a majority) who would have lost control of the locker room and had players quitting and whatnot. If there's one thing Gus is good at, it's keeping his players motivated even when all is lost. It's never looked once to me that the players weren't trying out there. Sure there have been some BAD players and plays, but that's due more to them just being bad players than not trying.

Now none of this proves or disproves that Gus is/can be a winning HC or not. It just proves that he can hold together a group of men when things seem lost. If you listen to Caldwell, he's said himself that he didn't really expect us to win any more than we have during this rebuild. The question is, was Gus just trying to keep the team and attitude together for the past 3 years, or has he been out there trying to dominate opponents and just flat getting beat? There are a lot of people/players who still think Gus is a good coach, are they right? This is the year we know.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote: 

<p style="font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">Dave Caldwell has selected Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, Brandon Linder and found Allen Hurns. He stays no matter what the record is this year and its up to the coach to get the best out of his talented roster especially after the GM provided to you on a silver platter. My friend, teams around the league won more games with less talent than what we have on this roster right now so no more excuses for Gus at all. 

If we play bad, its, at least partly, because the players out there played bad. If we have a season of looking like crap with some of the guys I mentioned not getting it done, all of a sudden Caldwell's batting % looks a lot worse than it is now and the more fickle among us will be a lot less likely to vote yes in a similar poll in January. 

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

I believe it was disengenious last year to say we were ready to compete.  The current HC is a rah rah guy so they put him out as a cheerleader on that talking point.  I'm not sure he can work even with talent.  Big question marks from him.  We did see a sprinkle of good game day decisions last year but is it enough?

It is going to take a lot to win me over.  I don't like the game plan, the schemes or the preparation translation to the field.  I think the OC is coming along well for the second year.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Yes, as long as it's not a developmental coach again.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 08:57 AM by StitchJones.)

Overall, Dave has done a pretty good job as a GM here. Let's face it though, other than TC (who was given far more leeway with an expansion team than normal) who do we have to compare him with here? There's an old saying that if you're a homely girl and you want to look pretty, hang out with flat-out ugly girls and you will look beautiful! That's kind'a the lens we see Dave through right now.

Nevertheless, Dave has done a pretty good job here as a GM. He has brought in a ton a talent in a short time. No, they haven't all panned out the way we wish (looking at you, Joeckel) but over all, he's done a pretty solid job. As for Gus, until we see what happens this season the jury is still out on him. If the team can pull out at least an 8-8 record this season then by all means I say keep Gus. If on the other hand we have another losing season... it's time to cut ties with Gus.

At the time of our needing a new HC, Gus was probably the best choice available who was willing to come here. We can talk all day about getting this coach or that one... but in the end you can only get what's actually available. Gus hasn't had much to work with up until this season; so this is the year we'll all see what he can do as a HC. If the team doesn't reach at least 8-8, Gus should be gone... but that isn't an indictment on the ability of Dave as a GM. Now if Gus does 'hit the bricks' and Dave's next choice of a HC also fails to deliver...then there's grounds to be looking at Dave with skepticism. Until then however, Dave (and Gus) both get a 'thumbs up'. We'll see how it goes this season. 

Dave definitely deserves to stay but lets not forget he chose Gus as our head coach.

I really don't see the point of this thread.. Why is gods name wouldn't he stay even IF Gus sucks this year lol... Look at what he drafted you have to be blind to think no.

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

Quote:Dave definitely deserves to stay but lets not forget he chose Gus as our head coach.
That's literally the topic of this thread, "does Dave Caldwell deserve a second opportunity to hire a coach". 

Quote:Yes, as long as it's not a developmental coach again.

Honestly, considering the state of the roster when he came in, I think the only realistic option he had was a developmental coach. I seriously doubt he'd have the same issues again should he be put in a position to bring in a new HC.

Quote:Dave definitely deserves to stay but lets not forget he chose Gus as our head coach.

Skeet Broball brings up a good point a few posts up regarding this. I can't help but think Dave's decision was somewhat impacted by just how awful that roster was and Gus was likely the only candidate who was legitimately enthused about such an undertaking. Having said that, Gus definitely needs to step his game up this season and I, for one, hope he does so. He doesn't really have the talent excuse to carry him anymore.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

And?

At the time he was considered one of the top candidates.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Gus Bradley was considered a hot commodity at the time.  It's not like this was some reach out of left field.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Gus Bradley was considered a hot commodity at the time.  It's not like this was some reach out of left field.
He's "just telling the truth".

Quote:He's "just telling the truth".
While omitting a pretty big part of it.  I know the drill.  lol

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Just about everyone on this board would have picked Ramsey and Jack. The big highlight was his pick of Bortles. The trades up for Robinson and Linder were also highlights.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

While there is a chance we are overrating the talent level of players we have (mainly due to the garbage that the other GMs brought in) DC has done a great job building this team and certainly deserves another opportunity to hire a coach.

Don't forget that this is still a very young team with more room to grow and develop.