Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Dave Caldwell stay if Bradley is fired?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Does Dave Caldwell deserve a second opportunity to hire a coach?

Quote:While there is a chance we are overrating the talent level of players we have (mainly due to the garbage that the other GMs brought in) DC has done a great job building this team and certainly deserves another opportunity to hire a coach.

Don't forget that this is still a very young team with more room to grow and develop.
Just about all of our best players are in their 3rd year or younger....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The way this poll has played out, you can almost pinpoint who the 3 people are who think Dave should go. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 11:47 AM by BklynJag.)

Quote:Gus Bradley was considered a hot commodity at the time. It's not like this was some reach out of left field.

No, i understand that, it doesn't change the fact that he's our HC from Dave's decision. I've said he should definitely return but thats been pretty much his major flaw.

Quote:No, i understand that, it doesn't change the fact that he's our HC from Dave's decision. I've said he should definitely return but thats been pretty much his major flaw.
So, to summarize, Dave picked one of the hot names bandied about for head coach openings, and this is somehow a flaw.  Got it. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Does Dave deserve a chance to hire the next coach.  What a question!   Have we already played the season out and fired Gus?   For gosh sakes.  

Yes, Caldwell should stick around. He gets a pass on Gus.

Quote:So, to summarize, Dave picked one of the hot names bandied about for head coach openings, and this is somehow a flaw. Got it.

I guess you could argue that, based on historical coaching changes made based on w/l record, Gus should have been fired and Dave didn't do that.

However, this is far from a traditional rebuild and Dave had a plan to stick with Gus from the start. Now if we have another terrible season and Gus doesn't get fired (barring and crazy injuries or something) then at that time we can blame Dave. But I think that's too early to say just hiring Gus in general was a mistake.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM by spacecoastjag.)

Easily. He's a top 5 up and coming GM in the NFL. His selection of BORTLES ALONE, when most on here wanted Manziel or Clowney shows people he knows what he's doing. Bortles is a rare franchise QB. Manziel and Bridgewater aren't.

Jags had Bortles as their #1 player on their board and it's proving to be right.

I think after Mularkey's one year fiasco, patience was needed with Gus, not only to be fair to him but also to avoid the reputation of regime-killers.

It's arguable whether or not that should've extended beyond year 3, but I'm confident that will sort itself out this year. I also think it was important to keep Bortles in the same offensive system rather than 3 systems in 3 years.

Bill Cowher

I can't believe anyone would even dare to think Dave should go.

Quote:I can't believe anyone would even dare to think Dave should go.

This^

Hands down, DC has emerged as one of the top GMs in the NFL.  If this seasons proves he made a mistake hiring Gus then I'm fully confident he will hire the right guy the 2nd time around.

NO.

Wait... Yes!

Hold on....

I was dead at the time!

LOL. This poll. This is like creating a thread arguing Bortles is a bust.

BB, Cann, Linder, AR, Hurns, Telvin, Ramsey, Jack, House, Marks, Miller, Yeldon, Ivory, Thomas. Think of what he inherited. Now look at the talent.

Quote:LOL. This poll. This is like creating a thread arguing Bortles is a bust.

BB, Cann, Linder, AR, Hurns, Telvin, Ramsey, Jack, House, Marks, Miller, Yeldon, Ivory, Thomas. Think of what he inherited. Now look at the talent.
But we didn't keep Tyrone Holmes!!!!!!!!

Or sign SITTON!!!!!!

:nuke:

Quote:But we didn't keep Tyrone Holmes!!!!!!!!

Or sign SITTON!!!!!!

:nuke:

You're right. Fire Dave now!!! Bring back Gene Smith. He can do it this time.

I am not sure......let me read the thread again.

Quote:You're right. Fire Dave now!!! Bring back Gene Smith. He can do it this time.
I think we should hire Alfie.

To coach and GM.

Jimmy Johnson style.

Quote:I think after Mularkey's one year fiasco, patience was needed with Gus, not only to be fair to him but also to avoid the reputation of regime-killers.

It's arguable whether or not that should've extended beyond year 3, but I'm confident that will sort itself out this year. I also think it was important to keep Bortles in the same offensive system rather than 3 systems in 3 years.

The "extension" was just lip service, the truth is if this team doesn't win games this year Gus is gone.They gave him extension to prevent all of the questions from media heads about his job security, that's a distraction for any team but especially a young team like the Jags.

Quote:The "extension" was just lip service, the truth is if this team doesn't win games this year Gus is gone.They gave him extension to prevent all of the questions from media heads about his job security, that's a distraction for any team but especially a young team like the Jags.
Exactly.  People put way too much gravity behind that extension.