Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

Zach Wilson has been given permission to trade

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-29-2024, 10:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 05:11 PM)Predator Wrote: When I was in high school, my football team went on a recruiting trip to Duke. We got to see all their football facilities including their weight room. They had a whiteboard in their weight room that listed all the player's max bench press. The lowest was a sophomore kicker at 285 lbs.

I remember talk about Brunell's bench press. I remember it being stated as 400 or more. They said it was the highest of any QB in the NFL.

That feels like a fake whiteboard to impress High School kids and make them work harder

Take for instance Christian McCaffery. He repped 10 on the bench at the combine which is 225lbs. A 1RM calculator puts that around 300lbs. For a BEAST of a running back. I maxed at 365 before my daughter was born and I lost consistency at the gym. And even at my strongest, McCaffery would have eaten my lunch if I tried to take him on. These numbers don't always equate to much on the field.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024, 10:26 AM by Mikey.)

(02-29-2024, 03:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 03:18 PM)PV=nRT Wrote: TLaw needs to just play his contract out.  Then he can evaluate what is better, staying with the Jags or hitting the free market.

Trevor reportedly has had a sit down with the triumvirate (this offseason) and expressed what he thinks needs to happen for him to have success in Jacksonville. That means Khan, Doug and Baalke are all taking Lawrence's needs and desires into consideration as they navigate this offseason. 

That doesn't happen if your scenario is something being considered. 

Going elsewhere is likely not on anyone's radar right now. 

The only decision TL needs to make is if he wants to get paid now - or after he has another season to prove he's worth even more money.

Oh cripes. If Shad is cheap, we may be screwed.

TLaw: "If you guys want me to hit the next level, I gotta have a decent line in front of me"
Scrooge McDuck voice inside Shad's head: "If he doesn't get to the next level, that extension will be more affordable! Status quo it is!!"

(03-01-2024, 08:32 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Zach Wilson has been given permission to trade

I say keep the crust from that ham sammich, we can use it to feed the pigeons or something.

(why the fart is this in the Tlaw thread?)

(03-01-2024, 08:33 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 10:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: That feels like a fake whiteboard to impress High School kids and make them work harder

Take for instance Christian McCaffery. He repped 10 on the bench at the combine which is 225lbs. A 1RM calculator puts that around 300lbs. For a BEAST of a running back. I maxed at 365 before my daughter was born and I lost consistency at the gym. And even at my strongest, McCaffery would have eaten my lunch if I tried to take him on. These numbers don't always equate to much on the field.
Natty? lol

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(03-01-2024, 08:33 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 10:43 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: That feels like a fake whiteboard to impress High School kids and make them work harder

365 on bench press? damn, that's good.

(03-01-2024, 08:32 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Zach Wilson has been given permission to trade

Has to be a joke. I doubt anyone is willing to trade even a 7th for that guy
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2024, 11:18 AM by PV=nRT. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-29-2024, 03:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 03:18 PM)PV=nRT Wrote: TLaw needs to just play his contract out.  Then he can evaluate what is better, staying with the Jags or hitting the free market.

Trevor reportedly has had a sit down with the triumvirate (this offseason) and expressed what he thinks needs to happen for him to have success in Jacksonville. That means Khan, Doug and Baalke are all taking Lawrence's needs and desires into consideration as they navigate this offseason. 

The only decision TL needs to make is if he wants to get paid now - or after he has another season to prove he's worth even more money.

It should be on TLaws radar.  He could be outta this mess in 2 seasons and pick where he wants to play.   It would be best if things could be addressed and fixed in Jville, but there's no guarantee of that. Etienne needs to be thinking the same thing

(03-01-2024, 10:32 AM)g1ml3t Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 08:33 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Take for instance Christian McCaffery. He repped 10 on the bench at the combine which is 225lbs. A 1RM calculator puts that around 300lbs. For a BEAST of a running back. I maxed at 365 before my daughter was born and I lost consistency at the gym. And even at my strongest, McCaffery would have eaten my lunch if I tried to take him on. These numbers don't always equate to much on the field.
Natty? lol

I may or may not have been dabbling in some creatine 

(03-01-2024, 10:48 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 08:33 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Take for instance Christian McCaffery. He repped 10 on the bench at the combine which is 225lbs. A 1RM calculator puts that around 300lbs. For a BEAST of a running back. I maxed at 365 before my daughter was born and I lost consistency at the gym. And even at my strongest, McCaffery would have eaten my lunch if I tried to take him on. These numbers don't always equate to much on the field.

365 on bench press? damn, that's good.

Yeah I'm keeping the video of it forever just to remind me that I've done it. Best part of covid though, I was work from home and had nothing to do but lift every day.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(03-01-2024, 11:10 AM)PV=nRT Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 03:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Trevor reportedly has had a sit down with the triumvirate (this offseason) and expressed what he thinks needs to happen for him to have success in Jacksonville. That means Khan, Doug and Baalke are all taking Lawrence's needs and desires into consideration as they navigate this offseason. 

It should be on TLaws radar.  He could be outta this mess in 2 seasons and pick where he wants to play.   It would be best if things could be addressed and fixed in Jville, but there's no guarantee of that. Etienne needs to be thinking the same thing

LOL

OK

The perception around the AFC is that Jax has an ascending QB and proven HC that will be a problem for the conference leaders for years to come. 

ETN is a running back. He won't make these decisions - they will be made for him. There's a new crop of talented backs every draft. He'd be lucky to get a second contract from the Jags.  

The reality is that the Jags need to upgrade their OL in a couple of spots, shore up the IDL with some push, and let Nielsen do a minor facelift on the secondary and blitz scheme. All do-able. 

There's no "mess" to be running from. They just had their first back-to back seasons over .500 in EIGHTEEN YEARS.

(03-01-2024, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL

OK

The perception around the AFC is that Jax has an ascending QB and proven HC that will be a problem for the conference leaders for years to come. 

ETN is a running back. He won't make these decisions - they will be made for him. There's a new crop of talented backs every draft. He'd be lucky to get a second contract from the Jags.  

The reality is that the Jags need to upgrade their OL in a couple of spots, shore up the IDL with some push, and let Nielsen do a minor facelift on the secondary and blitz scheme. All do-able. 

There's no "mess" to be running from. They just had their first back-to back seasons over .500 in EIGHTEEN YEARS.
I really hope he doesn't.

Nothing against ETN but those RBs on a second contract almost NEVER return value. If your Oline is good, you can plug in a lot of different RBs to make it work.

(03-01-2024, 12:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

OK

I really hope he doesn't.

Nothing against ETN but those RBs on a second contract almost NEVER return value. If your Oline is good, you can plug in a lot of different RBs to make it work.

That doesn't mean you don't give him the second contract.
That means you lower the offer in terms of dollars and years.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-01-2024, 12:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 12:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I really hope he doesn't.

That doesn't mean you don't give him the second contract.

It depends. Baalke has drafted a RB now two years in a row. Hear me now, believe me later. I bet that bastard drafts another RB in RD4 or RD5 at the minimum. 

I don't think Etienne will be here for much longer. I could see Baalke trying to trade him over to a team to get some decent value picks in return. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd RD pick.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2024, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL

OK

Until the OL gets fixed, there is "a mess".   The receiving corp is pedestrian at best with all the drops and games missed due to injury, plus all the discussion of maybe having to part ways with Ridley/ZJones due to capspace issues.  TLaw does not want to become the next ALuck or DCarr.   That's why he should just play out his contract and see what happens in Jville.   He needs the ability to bolt if we're still talking about this 1 year from now.  I am hopeful that is not the case.

(03-01-2024, 01:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 12:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: That doesn't mean you don't give him the second contract.

It depends. Baalke has drafted a RB now two years in a row. Hear me now, believe me later. I bet that bastard drafts another RB in RD4 or RD5 at the minimum. 

I don't think Etienne will be here for much longer. I could see Baalke trying to trade him over to a team to get some decent value picks in return. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd RD pick.

He had a history of this in SF I think.  It's smart business if you don't plan on signing a star RB to a 2nd contract (and generally why would you), so it wouldn't bother me in the least if its round 5 or later.  Just have a flow of fresh legs coming into the position room each year.  Keeps starters motivated and maybe you find someone cheap to step right in when it's time to put the old horse out to pasture.

(03-01-2024, 03:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 01:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It depends. Baalke has drafted a RB now two years in a row. Hear me now, believe me later. I bet that bastard drafts another RB in RD4 or RD5 at the minimum. 

He had a history of this in SF I think.  It's smart business if you don't plan on signing a star RB to a 2nd contract (and generally why would you), so it wouldn't bother me in the least if its round 5 or later.  Just have a flow of fresh legs coming into the position room each year.  Keeps starters motivated and maybe you find someone cheap to step right in when it's time to put the old horse out to pasture.

I don't mind this approach neither, provided that he:

A. Lands a viable RB that can move the chains and protect the football.

B. It makes sense on paper. 

He's done none of the above for two years in a row now. He's drafted two RB's that barely move the chains and one of them had a known ball security issue coming out of Auburn and it carried right on over into the NFL. 

It also made no sense on paper when, you knew statistically, that, this offensive line had finished towards the very bottom in rankings. It was known to the extent of the team wearing it like a badge of honor in the off season during training camp. 

It was cute in 2022, because you had a weaker strength of schedule and you were able to get away with a little bit more on offense with new faces, a new play caller and a series of fortunate events that happened with turnovers being in your favor down the stretch. 

Wasn't so [BLEEP] cute though in 2023 when that strength of schedule got A LOT more difficult on paper and they were woefully unprepared for the biggest games on that schedule. Even with some handicaps and match up's in their favor. They STILL [BLEEP] the bed.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2024, 03:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 03:09 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He had a history of this in SF I think.  It's smart business if you don't plan on signing a star RB to a 2nd contract (and generally why would you), so it wouldn't bother me in the least if its round 5 or later.  Just have a flow of fresh legs coming into the position room each year.  Keeps starters motivated and maybe you find someone cheap to step right in when it's time to put the old horse out to pasture.

I don't mind this approach neither, provided that he:

He's done none of the above for two years in a row now. He's drafted two RB's that barely move the chains and one of them had a known ball security issue coming out of Auburn and it carried right on over into the NFL. 

It also made no sense on paper when, you knew statistically, that, this offensive line had finished towards the very bottom in rankings. It was known to the extent of the team wearing it like a badge of honor in the off season during training camp. 

It was cute in 2022, because you had a weaker strength of schedule and you were able to get away with a little bit more on offense with new faces, a new play caller and a series of fortunate events that happened with turnovers being in your favor down the stretch. 

Wasn't so [BLEEP] cute though in 2023 when that strength of schedule got A LOT more difficult on paper and they were woefully unprepared for the biggest games on that schedule. Even with some handicaps and match up's in their favor. They STILL [BLEEP] the bed.

The error was in expecting Fortner, who was a first year player, to come in stronger in year 2 and he didn't.  Many of our other problems stem from this as has been said ad nauseam.  I think many of the complaints about specific draft picks would be less loud if a)Fortner would have come in stronger last year or b)they would have had legitimate competition for him at the position.  Tough to not still trust your evaluation of a guy (Fortner) only 1 year later, so I don't blame them on not giving up on him, but they didn't have a contingency for him on the roster and they clearly should have.  That's the error of 2023 in my opinion.  They will at the very least have a contingency for him this year I have no doubt if they don't outright replace him.

I've said this before, but Bigsby in a small sample started to visibly look very good to me in the last game or two, stats aside.  He looked like he was running strong with purpose and confidence which was in contrast to how much of the season looked for him prior to that.

(03-01-2024, 04:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 03:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't mind this approach neither, provided that he:

The error was in expecting Fortner, who was a first year player, to come in stronger in year 2 and he didn't.  Many of our other problems stem from this as has been said ad nauseam.  I think many of the complaints about specific draft picks would be less loud if a)Fortner would have come in stronger last year or b)they would have had legitimate competition for him at the position.  Tough to not still trust your evaluation of a guy (Fortner) only 1 year later, so I don't blame them on not giving up on him, but they didn't have a contingency for him on the roster and they clearly should have.  That's the error of 2023 in my opinion.  They will at the very least have a contingency for him this year I have no doubt if they don't outright replace him.

I've said this before, but Bigsby in a small sample started to visibly look very good to me in the last game or two, stats aside.  He looked like he was running strong with purpose and confidence which was in contrast to how much of the season looked for him prior to that.

Agreed. There's hope for Bigsby. Just as long as he holds onto the football. Fortner I just don't know. Two years in. 37 career starts in. I appreciate his ability to stay healthy but he just doesn't seem to have "it" and he's too lost or overpowered at times. 

The lack of contingency plans for that offensive line in 2023 in general was concerning. Having the historical injuries with Cam Robinson at LT, Ben Bartch coming back from not playing football since October of 2022, Scherff's historical injuries and then only addressing the RT position early was just bad.

The admission of failure there lies within them trading for Ezra Cleveland before the deadline. The luxury picks of a glorified FB in RD2 and a turnover prone (again, knew this leaving Auburn) in RD3 is what makes it unforgivable.

(03-01-2024, 04:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The error was in expecting Fortner, who was a first year player, to come in stronger in year 2 and he didn't.  Many of our other problems stem from this as has been said ad nauseam.  I think many of the complaints about specific draft picks would be less loud if a)Fortner would have come in stronger last year or b)they would have had legitimate competition for him at the position.  Tough to not still trust your evaluation of a guy (Fortner) only 1 year later, so I don't blame them on not giving up on him, but they didn't have a contingency for him on the roster and they clearly should have.  That's the error of 2023 in my opinion.  They will at the very least have a contingency for him this year I have no doubt if they don't outright replace him.

Agreed. There's hope for Bigsby. Just as long as he holds onto the football. Fortner I just don't know. Two years in. 37 career starts in. I appreciate his ability to stay healthy but he just doesn't seem to have "it" and he's too lost or overpowered at times. 

The lack of contingency plans for that offensive line in 2023 in general was concerning. Having the historical injuries with Cam Robinson at LT, Ben Bartch coming back from not playing football since October of 2022, Scherff's historical injuries and then only addressing the RT position early was just bad.

The admission of failure there lies within them trading for Ezra Cleveland before the deadline. The luxury picks of a glorified FB in RD2 and a turnover prone (again, knew this leaving Auburn) in RD3 is what makes it unforgivable.

Tank's rookie campaign was better than ETN and Snoop's combined, so there's hope. I think he'll be ok this year in the role he had at the end of the year. Doesn't matter if they don't fix the line though.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-01-2024, 05:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. There's hope for Bigsby. Just as long as he holds onto the football. Fortner I just don't know. Two years in. 37 career starts in. I appreciate his ability to stay healthy but he just doesn't seem to have "it" and he's too lost or overpowered at times. 

Tank's rookie campaign was better than ETN and Snoop's combined, so there's hope. I think he'll be ok this year in the role he had at the end of the year. Doesn't matter if they don't fix the line though.

Tank will be ok. He had 2 fumbles last year. One against Houston where our whole team had a brain fart. Yea Tank was standing there just holding the incomplete backward pass. However, he had 10 other teammates standing around him that had the same brain fart as well. The second was on a rainy day against Pittsburgh when a DT split a double team and hit him in the backfield. He was held upright while the DT and DE pounded on the ball. I actually though the refs should have blown the whistle. So yea he had TWO fumbles in the season.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Cool video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Gg3Rwj3h8
No Fun

Anyone hear how Trevor's rehab is going from his 4 injuries?

After the Mac Jones trade, it made me a tad worried that maybe he is behind in that regard?