Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor Lawrence: Franchise QB (TL Discussion, Merged Threads)

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 03:33 PM by cland. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-16-2024, 05:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 10:37 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Pay the man

Not to derail the trevor thread
But as a texans fan do u truly believe Stroud is the guy for you.

If he had a repeat season like last year, would u start the extensions talks ?

Seeing as they aren’t allowed until after his third season, I’d guess no.

Yes, I truly believe that Stroud is "the guy." Short of taking the 2nd worst team in the league (2022-23) to the Superbowl, there's not much more you could have asked him to do as a rookie.

Watching how quickly he developed throughout the season was nothing short of amazing.  Let alone playing his first 4 games with an Oline, that was so banged up they started four 2nd stringers in their first win Ninja, and a 3rd stringer the next week in the win over the playoff-bound Steelers, while he was still just getting his feet wet.  Each time he made a 'rookie' mistake, it seemed like the next game he had corrected it.

Here are the NFL records that he set/tied:
  • Youngest starting quarterback to win a playoff game: 22 years 3 months 10 days
  • Most passing attempts without an interception to start a career: 191 (2023)
  • Most games with at least 350 passing yards by a rookie: 3 (tied) (2023)
  • Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie: 470 (November 5, 2023, vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
  • Most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie: 5 (tied) (November 5, 2023, vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Learning on the job, with a banged up Oline, and limiting your interceptions to 5 for the year is truly ridiculous.  His accuracy and anticipation downfield is something the Texans have never had, and have never come close to in the teams history.  But beyond the records/stats, you could see that he elevated the entire team.

RicoTx is of course right, they can't extend his contract next year, but I would make a very large bet that Stroud will be an all-pro at some point in his career and (short of a devastating injury) he'll stay with Texans throughout his career.  Of course there will be the unavoidable ups and downs, but he has such a well-balanced game I predict there will be many more ups than downs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 12:16 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...6125176927
https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...4357654837

Need to keep this man upright. Keep adding beef.

I thought this article was interesting on the 5th year option, I'm not predicting that Lawrence will get to that point in his contract negotiations.  https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20...s-steelers

What's interesting in the above language, is that the number of pro-bowls you go to increases the salary for the 5th round option up to a franchise tag salary.  What I'm not sure about is if you actually have to go to the pro-bowl, if your alternate and go does that count, and if you're invited but you turn it down how does that affect those numbers. Just researched and found out that alternate pro-bowls do not count for the fifth year option contract escalator, and it appears going or not doesn't affect the salary increase.

So for Lawrence, right now, he's hit the escalator to the average of the 3rd to 20th highest paid players at his position, by starting 75% of the offensive snaps.  If he make the original pro-bowl roster this year, his salary increases to the transition tag, but there's a huge difference between hitting the original selection pro-bowl twice, and being an alternate.

The other interesting thing, is that you can extend the "rookie contract window for QBs" if your player hasn't reached the original pro-bowl roster.  Now I'm sure that creating contract friction with your player can rule out this option, but it is by all means legal under the CBA.

Anyways food for thought.

If a QB falls I'd move up and get them. TLaw is not elite and he is about to become COSTLY. I'd move on.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(04-17-2024, 01:05 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: If a QB falls I'd move up and get them.  TLaw is not elite and he is about to become COSTLY.  I'd move on.

CTE is, in fact, REAL.

(04-17-2024, 01:05 PM)CTEisREAL Wrote: If a QB falls I'd move up and get them.  TLaw is not elite and he is about to become COSTLY.  I'd move on.

They have Mac Jones. He'll do it. They're not drafting a QB this year. Makes zero sense financially. Also makes even less sense for the coaching staff to figure out how to manage the competition, share snaps and gameplan accordingly. 

Which is even more costly. They should have followed the Washington model. Where the drafted RGIII and Cousins within the same draft class. That whole QB class though on paper from 2021 is fool's gold now. 

Still, the best option was keeping Gardner Minshew on the roster, whether he liked playing second fiddle or not to Trevor Lawrence. It could have been thrown in his face that his performances in 2020 directly played a hand in the team netting the number one overall pick to begin with.

His destiny was held within his hands. I would have kept him on the roster for the remaining years of his contract. Could have kept him for another two years at the minimum while having an actual QB capable of pushing Lawrence left and right during practice. 

This franchise simply doesn't know how to manage the QB position. They traded for Brunell and then had success but then traded him a good year or two too early to draft Leftwich while already having a potential answer in Garrard on the roster. They then proceeded to botch Garrard's career with Gabbert. 

They then botched it with Bortles and botched it again with Minshew. What you're suggesting above is exactly what a dumb organization would do.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-17-2024, 01:08 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

CTE is, in fact, REAL.

LOL. Even I, in the "still haven't seen enough" camp, don't think that's the right move.  As I've said time and time again, this is the year to set the table for Tlaw by giving him an avg to above avg OLine with depth.  The fact is that TLaws getting a top of the market contract when he resigns, and seeing him perform with a better than 2-1 TD to INT ratio (again) and a passer rating at 100+ for a full year would make me much more comfortable with that contract.

The worse thing that can happen to a franchise is having a QB who's not quite good enough.  You can't cut him because of the dead money, and he's not good enough to consistently get your team to the playoffs.

Drafting a qb in the first round would destabilize this whole franchise

(04-17-2024, 02:18 PM)Newton Wrote: Drafting a qb in the first round would destabilize this whole franchise

"Nu Uh! NoT uNlEsS wE tRaDe HiM tO tHe FoRtY NiNeR's fOr AiYuK & NeXt yEaR's 6TH RD PiCk!"

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-17-2024, 02:18 PM)Newton Wrote: Drafting a qb in the first round would destabilize this whole franchise

...might be exactly what a troll would want, no?

No wonder I don't come here as much as I used to because ya'll let anybody post slander about our QB on here. Have a good day everyone.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-17-2024, 05:04 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: No wonder I don't come here as much as I used to because ya'll let anybody post slander about our QB on here. Have a good day everyone.

Bruh, half the legitimate fan base is calling to move on from Trevor. There's fools all over, careful you don't trip on one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-17-2024, 05:04 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: No wonder I don't come here as much as I used to because ya'll let anybody post slander about our QB on here. Have a good day everyone.

Let?  Any suggestions on how not to 'let' people post their opinions?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-17-2024, 10:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Bruh, half the legitimate fan base is calling to move on from Trevor. There's fools all over, careful you don't trip on one.

Thank you for a delightful chuckle to start my morning.

It's a forum, not a Gulag. Besides, some of us need the practice with playing whack-a-troll.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 10:02 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-17-2024, 01:02 PM)cland Wrote: I thought this article was interesting on the 5th year option, I'm not predicting that Lawrence will get to that point in his contract negotiations.  https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20...s-steelers

What's interesting in the above language, is that the number of pro-bowls you go to increases the salary for the 5th round option up to a franchise tag salary.  What I'm not sure about is if you actually have to go to the pro-bowl, if your alternate and go does that count, and if you're invited but you turn it down how does that affect those numbers. Just researched and found out that alternate pro-bowls do not count for the fifth year option contract escalator, and it appears going or not doesn't affect the salary increase.

So for Lawrence, right now, he's hit the escalator to the average of the 3rd to 20th highest paid players at his position, by starting 75% of the offensive snaps.  If he make the original pro-bowl roster this year, his salary increases to the transition tag, but there's a huge difference between hitting the original selection pro-bowl twice, and being an alternate.

The other interesting thing, is that you can extend the "rookie contract window for QBs" if your player hasn't reached the original pro-bowl roster.  Now I'm sure that creating contract friction with your player can rule out this option, but it is by all means legal under the CBA.

Anyways food for thought.

Funny thing was that I think the alternate pro-bowler designation applies to Mac Jones, who is a 1st rounder and on the same contract year as Trevor.

We need to cease any trash talking about the Jags.

This year should give us clarity on Trevor one way or another. I think he will succeed, although I wish they had done more to bolster the line and receiving corps (still have the draft obviously). If he has another sub par year the haters will be vindicated and the Jags are back to square one, although we wouldnt be on the hook for franchise qb money.

(04-18-2024, 10:24 AM)g1ml3t Wrote: This year should give us clarity on Trevor one way or another. I think he will succeed, although I wish they had done more to bolster the line and receiving corps (still have the draft obviously). If he has another sub par year the haters will be vindicated and the Jags are back to square one, although we wouldnt be on the hook for franchise qb money.

I post this hesitantly, but I feel like if Trevor has a year similar to last year (with way too many turnovers, etc.) and the Jags miss the playoffs, the board will split into the diehard TLaw fans posting more (and sometimes reasonable) excuses and other posters moving to the "he doesn't quite have it" crowd.  I feel like a broken record, but like you, I hope that the Oline will be bolstered in the draft and post-draft FA to give Lawrence every opportunity to show the best that he has in year 4.  If his best is enough to put him in the top 10 then resign him, if it's not it's time to look at the 5th year option and incoming 2025 QBs.

(04-18-2024, 11:00 AM)cland Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 10:24 AM)g1ml3t Wrote: This year should give us clarity on Trevor one way or another. I think he will succeed, although I wish they had done more to bolster the line and receiving corps (still have the draft obviously). If he has another sub par year the haters will be vindicated and the Jags are back to square one, although we wouldnt be on the hook for franchise qb money.

I post this hesitantly, but I feel like if Trevor has a year similar to last year (with way too many turnovers, etc.) and the Jags miss the playoffs, the board will split into the diehard TLaw fans posting more (and sometimes reasonable) excuses and other posters moving to the "he doesn't quite have it" crowd.  I feel like a broken record, but like you, I hope that the Oline will be bolstered in the draft and post-draft FA to give Lawrence every opportunity to show the best that he has in year 4.  If his best is enough to put him in the top 10 then resign him, if it's not it's time to look at the 5th year option and incoming 2025 QBs.

It'll be Year 1 all over again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato