Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cambridge Dictionary changes definition of 'man' and 'woman'

Cambridge Dictionary changes definition of 'man' and 'woman': '1984 wasn't supposed to be a how-to manual'

One commentator argued the Cambridge Dictionary is 'ceding linguistic territory to the radical Left'

Cambridge Dictionary is being criticized by conservatives on social media for altering the definitions of the words "man" and "woman" to include people who identify as a gender other than their biological sex. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cambridge-...sed-manual
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And just like that, The Cambridge Dictionary became..

Let's look up Dictionary words that fit this scenario..

Superannuated
Obsolete
Antidiluvian
Antiquated
Anachronistic
Ka-put
Gawbidge

I added that last one..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Sometimes, I yearn for the apocalypse..

(12-13-2022, 12:15 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: And just like that, The Cambridge Dictionary became..

Superannuated
Obsolete
Antidiluvian
Antiquated
Anachronistic
Ka-put
Gawbidge

I added that last one..

I think more appropriate would be.

Tool
Puppet
Servant 
Slave
Subordinate
Flunky
Lackey

I'll add kowtowing for bonus points. 

PS  I saw "Gawbidge" and just assumed you were from Boston.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-21-2022, 11:10 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Sometimes, I yearn for the apocalypse..

Ya, I want too live long enough too see the people that enable this behavior suffer because of their own stupidity, I want justice served…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I've actually thought about buying an old(er) dictionary from a local thrift store. Those dictionary outfits can change what you see on their websites but they can't change what's already been printed.

I went to see what the Urban Dictionary had to say about the word man and it's pretty funny the things people come up with, most of which I will not copy and paste here. 

man:
1) a gender of the human race, not necessarily better or worse than females.
2) generally a person who will do incredibly stupid things for a piece of [BLEEP].

man:
A sentence suffix which, when added, makes anyone sound like the Dude from "The Big Lebowski".
Four score and seven years ago, man. - A. Lincoln

I have a dream, man. - MLK

To be or not to be? That is the question, man. - Wm. Shakespeare

man:
not a woman

man:
man: noun. A generic term for any administration, institution, law enforcement agency, rule giving organization; any restrictive body that would limit or constrain in any way an individuals liberties.

Screwing the man. Avoiding the man. Losing the man. Leaving the man. Going to bed with the man. Joining the man. Beating the man. I got caught by the man. I'll never work for the man again.

Also, this was on the front page and thought it was funny and accurate.

great indoorsman
Noun, slang.

1. A person, most commonly a millennial, who is a gamer, whose great life experiences are almost exclusively indoors, and often defined primarily in terms of virtual explorations, such as those in the video games Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter. A "great indoorsman" could simultaneously be one of two Smash Bros.

2. A person, most commonly of the nerd varietal, who could go outside, but chooses to spend 99.99% of his or her time inside, often stewing in a pile of his or her own filthy and odorous laundry.
Friend: Are Logan and Jeremy going to the bonfire tonight?
Other friend: No, those great indoorsman are going to hang out in their room to game like fiends until their thumbs bleed.

Actually, the Cambridge Dictionary did not change the definition of man and woman. They kept the primary definitions as they were before, and added secondary definitions.

(12-22-2022, 07:44 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-13-2022, 12:15 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: And just like that, The Cambridge Dictionary became..

Superannuated
Obsolete
Antidiluvian
Antiquated
Anachronistic
Ka-put
Gawbidge

I added that last one..

I think more appropriate would be.

Tool
Puppet
Servant 
Slave
Subordinate
Flunky
Lackey

I'll add kowtowing for bonus points. 

PS  I saw "Gawbidge" and just assumed you were from Boston.

I lived near there for a number of years. I picked up some pretty bad habits, vocabulary included.

Slowly dying off, but the wife says she can hear 'The Southie' in me when I'm yellin at the TV..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(12-25-2022, 06:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Actually, the Cambridge Dictionary did not change the definition of man and woman.  They kept the primary definitions as they were before, and added secondary definitions.

But I want to be mad!
If I'm going to bother thinking about politics, I need the reward of the dopamine I get from self righteous indignation!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-25-2022, 06:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Actually, the Cambridge Dictionary did not change the definition of man and woman.  They kept the primary definitions as they were before, and added secondary definitions.

[Puts on a mikesez © officially licensed Pedantic Hat]

An addition to something is usually considered a change.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2022, 10:01 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-26-2022, 09:53 AM)InvalidContentWasFoundStarting Wrote:

[Puts on a mikesez © officially licensed Pedantic Hat]

An addition to something is usually considered a change.

They kept the original definition.  They did not change it.  They added a second definition.  There's no reason for people to flip out about that.  It's pretty normal, when there is more than one accepted definition of a word.  Some people use the first definition, and some people use the second definition.

Nothing can bring us down. We're invincible!

(12-26-2022, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Nothing can bring us down. We're invincible!

Until the definition of invincible is changed.

(12-26-2022, 10:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-26-2022, 10:02 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Nothing can bring us down. We're invincible!

Until the definition of invincible is changed.

Or the definition of definition also changes. But then that would totally screw up Clintons definition of 'is'. Ah, relativism....
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption