Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's

Hard to say exactly what the biggest needs are without knowing who is back. If I were a GM, I would probably draft both a defensive and offensive lineman each year. And if I wasn't stacked at the positions I'd probably draft them somewhat early. So that is a clear bias I have in terms of needs. I believe in the planet theory where there are only so many big guys in the world that you get them early. For this particular group, I initially though Jawaan is likely a cap casualty, but after playing around with Spotrac and seeing how cap money we can move into 2024 and 2025, I think they can bring him back if they want to. We have so much room in 2024 as it is. But then we'd get so much more additional cap space by releasing Scherff and Cam after next year that I don't think we have to worry about cap issues. Saying that, I'm imagining a world where we bring back this entire offensive line (Jawaan, Cam, Little, Scherff, Fortner, Bartch, Shatley) for 2023. But with the expectation that it is very possible Cam and Scherff are gone in 2024. It is possible at some point next year Little beats out Cam. While that may not create a dire need in 2023, it does create a potential huge risk in 2024 which should be addressed in 2023.

biggest needs -
1) inside pass rush
2) outside pass rush
3) guard
4) TE
5) deep speed WR

I don't know enough about the prospects to have a favorite list. I'd probably just look at rankings board and pick guys I recognize which is dumb. A few random thoughts as I've looked at mock drafts and stumbled upon some players.

Andrew Vorhees at USC seems like a great find if available in the second. Tons of experience. Played all across the line. Could possibly step in an win a guard job right away. And we'd have so much solid depth.
Lukas Van Ness - decent sack stats for a guy that, from what I've read, hasnt been a starter. Seems like he has elite physical tools. And I've seen him listed all over the place in mocks so could be available in the first. why wasnt he a starter though? if he was a starter with 10 sacks a year instead of a backup with 7 would he be a top 10 pick? is it just the lower reps hurting his stock or is there something else wrong with him?
Drew Sanders - started off 3-4 OLB for Bama. transferred to Arkansas where he became a MLB. Seems like the dude has tons of speed and has a knack for getting to QBs. just too scrawny to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL? if he put on 20 pounds would he lose his speed. if he had to be at his current weight and play mike LB then we dont need him. With travon occupying the line as a 3-4 end would love to find a guy with speed off the edge.
Saika Ika - I saw him mocked around us in the late 1st. The dude is huge but weird thing is all the scouting reports say he isnt great at clogging the line. but that he is quick for his size and can get to the QB. he has the size of a nose which we dont really have. and if he could get pressure on the middle, that could be a game changer for our defense. not sure exactly what type of dlineman he'd be though.

Unless someone unexpected falls, I think I'd rather have 3 second round picks than our late first and late second. And I think this team desperately needs someone who could be a gamechanger getting after the QB. inside or outside, doesnt matter.

Messages In This Thread
2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by Caldrac - 01-23-2023, 10:51 AM
RE: 2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by jaglou53 - 01-23-2023, 05:29 PM
RE: 2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by DTWD4∞ - 01-24-2023, 01:07 PM
RE: 2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by rfc17 - 01-24-2023, 01:37 PM
RE: 2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by Bullseye - 01-30-2023, 10:18 AM
RE: 2023 - Your Needs & Big Three's - by IKhan't - 01-30-2023, 08:03 PM