Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
CJ Beathard Extended

He had aome good kneels

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-27-2023, 06:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.

Who did you want as the backup?

The only importance the backup QB has is how many resources he's diverting away from helping the starter win.

My preference would be to just get the cheapest guy they can find (rookie minimum deal, maybe?) and spend to the cap at other positions that can actually help Trevor succeed.

(02-27-2023, 09:51 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 06:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Who did you want as the backup?

The only importance the backup QB has is how many resources he's diverting away from helping the starter win.

My preference would be to just get the cheapest guy they can find (rookie minimum deal, maybe?) and spend to the cap at other positions that can actually help Trevor succeed.

The lowest paid back up QBs, which are the 3rd string QBs make $660k per. The actual back up, 2nd string QBs make more than that (far more than that in many cases. Mason Rudolph got 1 year $5m. Foles is getting $4m etc etc). So at the very max, you're looking at about a difference of around $1.5m and that's when you only compare it to guys who have literally never played a snap and who have never been active on a game day. Their only experience is training camp and maybe some preseason.

Do you honestly believe an extra $1mish is going to help make, or break Trevor's success?.. Seriously..

(02-27-2023, 03:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't understand the consternation with a cheap backup QB deal.

Trevor and Doug both made it a point to speak to Beathard's  value in the QB room and as a positive element for TL this past season. Does no one remember that whole thing about CJ getting Trevor up to speed about how he's breaking down film and how often he's doing it?
They clearly value keeping that dynamic place.

Seems like a basic no-brainer.

I'm sure CJ is great in the film room and meetings, but I highly doubt he is the one of the best back up's of the league at it?

This just feels like the Jags were bidding against themselves for this contract.

I also still think that this puts way too much pressure on Trevor not getting hurt at all which is just not very realistic.

so your preference was to pay more for a guy none of us want to see take the field? 10-4.

This contract was literally peanuts. It doesn't put any more pressure on Trevor's health than Trevor's own capability does. That would be like saying the Chefs don't have to worry about Mahomes getting hurt because they gots the Chenne. If Mahomes is hurt for a long duration, they're not high-fiving each other celebrating their savvy choice of backups .

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2023, 09:23 AM by Mikey.)

(02-27-2023, 06:35 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 04:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think we would want Trevor sitting in the QB meeting room helping a new guy understand the system, or having to listen while the system is being explained to the new guy.  That would be a big waste of time, when you can just re-sign Beathard and not have to worry about that.

Teaching someone else a subject is often the best way to perfect your own knowledge of that subject.

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

TLaw's teaching is by demonstrating mastery. He's not here to hold some afterthought QB by the hand as they learn the ropes. Keep digging.

(02-27-2023, 06:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.

Who did you want as the backup?

@THE SHEW@

Big Grin

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oh My ! Things are either really good or we have a few micro managers that feel the need to be highly critical of the decision to spend less than 1% of the cap on our backup QB. My position is since I have never been on a professional football team the organization will know best just what a backup QB needs to do and the value equation in deciding what to pay.
That and I am not sure what someone who is less skilled and experienced than CJ would bring to the table? If you go too cheap on the back up, why not just get a temp at $7.00 an hour and if TL is hurt throw the towel in. That would free up even more money to buy help.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

This is definitely good news for all of those that bought CJ Beathard jerseys last year.

(03-01-2023, 09:56 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: This is definitely good news for all of those that bought CJ Beathard jerseys last year.

Except that he'll have a new number his year after Ridley take #3.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato