Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
CJ Beathard Extended

Nice, one down
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-25-2023, 11:36 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1629502733916184576

That is NOT the league minimum.  Odd.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-25-2023, 11:36 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1629502733916184576

Insanely dumb signing.

I will only be upset if we lose out on resigning Engram
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Hopefully he never comes in the game unless it’s a blow out.

We now have 4 QB’s going into camp.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(02-26-2023, 03:15 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: We now have 4 QB’s going into camp.

1 QB
2 candidates for back up
1 camp arm
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-24-2023, 03:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-beathard/

2 year deal, money not announced yet.
I’m wondering why they gave him 2 years??

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2023, 10:16 AM by Mikey.)

(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.

consistency is good, we don't know what he brings as far as practice/film study that helps Trevor on a daily basis. They work well together, and the deal is not going to be excessive, so why bother reinventing the wheel?

(02-24-2023, 06:56 PM)copycat Wrote: Why did they sign Rourke then?  I know I am biased but the kid showed out in the CFL and I was hoping he would beat out Beathard in training camp to earn that backup spot.

If Rourke shows out, I do not think CJB's deal is going to be the one to put us in cap hell. We can always ship him off to another team for a late pick if they want an experienced backup

I'm also a Bobcat, but I am not counting any Rourke eggs until we see him play at the next level of competition. I'd LOVE to have the problem of too many competent backups.

(02-27-2023, 12:04 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 03:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-beathard/

2 year deal, money not announced yet.
I’m wondering why they gave him 2 years??

So they don't have to worry about the backup QB position aa well

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2023, 10:20 AM by Mikey.)

(02-24-2023, 08:12 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 06:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: BUT- he's been in the system for a year, so we don't have to totally train a new guy.  

I'm going to trust the front office with these decisions.  They did pretty well last year.

Which games would the Jags have won last year with Beathard if Trevor had been unable to start a game?

Maybe the jets or second texans game. Those games the Jags may have been able to win with any guy that can manage to throw a pass. Other than those I can't think of any that Beathard could have won.

If I'm right about the above then the team shouldn't spend any amount of money on trying to maximize what would happen if Trevor gets hurt, and instead spend every cent they can on making sure he doesn't.

When the financials are released, please show me the level of guard/RT we could sign for the same amount of money.

Spoiler: the results will be dire.

(02-24-2023, 09:59 PM)copycat Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 09:30 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: There's nothing odd.  Beathard was a free agent.  If we don't extend him, we lose him.  He's insurance against Rourke not working out or needing time to develop.  Beathard has the advantage over some other free agent qb in that he has a year of experience in the system.  The Jags can devote more practice snaps and preseason game time to Rourke to see if he can develop.  If Rourke looks good, the team can cut Beathard.  If Rourke looks terrible, at least we have a guy that knows the system.

I’m thinking of the financial side.  We are already over the cap and every dollar counts

If Rourke tanks it, and we let CJB go, we're either forced to stick with someone unfit for play or to overpay for a different backup to come in.

You're right. Every dollar counts.

I don't understand the consternation with a cheap backup QB deal.

Trevor and Doug both made it a point to speak to Beathard's value in the QB room and as a positive element for TL this past season. Does no one remember that whole thing about CJ getting Trevor up to speed about how he's breaking down film and how often he's doing it?
They clearly value keeping that dynamic place.

Seems like a basic no-brainer.

(02-27-2023, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't understand the consternation with a cheap backup QB deal.

Trevor and Doug both made it a point to speak to Beathard's  value in the QB room and as a positive element for TL this past season. Does no one remember that whole thing about CJ getting Trevor up to speed about how he's breaking down film and how often he's doing it?

It is fine. It has already proven out that my talent evaluation skills would never get me a spot on a staff anywhere. I just want us to improve and be in the fight long term. I thought Engram played well and I would not want to lose him for cap reasons. At the same time, all I can do is watch. Doesn't seem like a bad veteran QB deal.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-27-2023, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't understand the consternation with a cheap backup QB deal.

Trevor and Doug both made it a point to speak to Beathard's  value in the QB room and as a positive element for TL this past season. Does no one remember that whole thing about CJ getting Trevor up to speed about how he's breaking down film and how often he's doing it?

I'm sure CJ is great in the film room and meetings, but I highly doubt he is the one of the best back up's of the league at it?

This just feels like the Jags were bidding against themselves for this contract.

I also still think that this puts way too much pressure on Trevor not getting hurt at all which is just not very realistic.

It is, 2 million is a little less than 1% of the cap.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(02-27-2023, 03:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

I'm sure CJ is great in the film room and meetings, but I highly doubt he is the one of the best back up's of the league at it?

This just feels like the Jags were bidding against themselves for this contract.

I also still think that this puts way too much pressure on Trevor not getting hurt at all which is just not very realistic.

If he wins the job and gets paid his full 23 salary, he'll be the 13th highest paid backup QB in the league based on the current projected '23 QB salaries. He will probably drop down further on that list depending on other signings between now and Sept. 

I still don't see the big deal here. 

It's peanuts money, and they clearly value his knowledge of the system and dynamic with the starter. I don't sense this putting any pressure on Trevor and his health at all. Nothing more than virtually every other team in the league with a viable starter. They all suffer a drop-off if he's hurt. 

Are we supposed to be upset because we didn't have to outbid another team for him? For a journeyman backup QB? I don't get it.  Does that happen on a regular basis or something?

I don't think we would want Trevor sitting in the QB meeting room helping a new guy understand the system, or having to listen while the system is being explained to the new guy. That would be a big waste of time, when you can just re-sign Beathard and not have to worry about that.

(02-27-2023, 04:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think we would want Trevor sitting in the QB meeting room helping a new guy understand the system, or having to listen while the system is being explained to the new guy.  That would be a big waste of time, when you can just re-sign Beathard and not have to worry about that.

Teaching someone else a subject is often the best way to perfect your own knowledge of that subject.

(02-24-2023, 06:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: About the dumbest way the Jaguars could spend their cap room.

Even if it's league minimum with no bonuses (which it probably isn't) it's going to be more expensive than a guy with less accrued seasons would get.

Who did you want as the backup?