Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Madame Mayor

(05-17-2023, 08:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I always admired Dan Hicken for how he handled the situation. It could have easily gone sideways and ugly but he put the well-being of his children above all else. He was the mature adult in the room that kept it civil.

I agree and oddly enough, I lost a lot of respect for her as a result of that.  However, I do have to admit that she has done a lot for raising a ton of $$ for breast cancer and I do think she is a good choice as mayor as she had been entwined in Jacksonville forever and really cares about the city.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 01:02 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

Davis was a horrible candidate. It's amazing to me that he got 48% of the vote.

Not sure how much of her cousin's politics rubbed off on her, but Tommy Hazouri was actually a pretty good Mayor for a Dem. I voted for him. Of course, that was the 80's when most Dems weren't bat [BLEEP] crazy.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-17-2023, 12:08 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 10:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I read an account somewhere of how he apparently violated a surfer code off Jax Beach. Another surfer paddled over and slapped him hard across the face. He got out of the water, packed up his surf board and left.
It was probably my post years ago. I was there and witnessed it. It was at The Poles. Drunk timmy paddles out and immediately snaked a wave from the dude resulting in a collision and a significant sized ding. Dude paddles over, slaps the ever living dog [BLEEP] out of timmy. No response other than padding in and walking the kook walk of shame. It was hilarious.

You’re right, now that I think about it.

(05-17-2023, 12:53 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Davis was a horrible candidate.  It's amazing to me that he got 48% of the vote.

Not sure how much of her Dad's politics rubbed off on her, but Tommy Hazouri was actually a pretty good Mayor for a Dem. I voted for him. Of course, that was the 80's when most Dems weren't bat [BLEEP] crazy.

Davis is a bureaucrat at heart, not a politician. 

I think Deegan will do a good job. I like the fact she called out the shady good ‘ol boy network that has contributed so much to keeping Jacksonville lagging behind the rest of Florida.

I can't even imagine Hicken and Donna Deegan ever being together at one point, they appear to be completely opposite people with different interests. Separating was better for the both of them

(05-17-2023, 01:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 12:53 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Davis was a horrible candidate.  It's amazing to me that he got 48% of the vote.

Not sure how much of her Dad's politics rubbed off on her, but Tommy Hazouri was actually a pretty good Mayor for a Dem. I voted for him. Of course, that was the 80's when most Dems weren't bat [BLEEP] crazy.

Davis is a bureaucrat at heart, not a politician. 

I think Deegan will do a good job. I like the fact she called out the shady good ‘ol boy network that has contributed so much to keeping Jacksonville lagging behind the rest of Florida.

The good old boy network turned out to be the 1st Baptist Church.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-17-2023, 09:44 PM)copycat Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 01:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Davis is a bureaucrat at heart, not a politician. 

The good old boy network turned out to be the 1st Baptist Church.

They heavily influenced it, no doubt.

She’s a cousin of former mayor Tommy Hazouri. I thought this was common knowledge but was talking about it with my folks recently and they had no idea so maybe it isn’t.

(05-22-2023, 05:26 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: She’s a cousin of former mayor Tommy Hazouri. I thought this was common knowledge but was talking about it with my folks recently and they had no idea so maybe it isn’t.
She has 5 generations riding on this. I think she'll get the stadium deal done at the minimum. Everything else is anybody's guess.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."