Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sick of all the Virtue Signaling pushed into everything

(05-23-2023, 12:53 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 11:50 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Just wait until the little mermaid bomb coming out this week. They made it so woke, I saw a meme that the white horse is now black. I'm sure the acting will be terrible since it will be cgi because she couldn't swim. Then add that her eyes are on the side of her head and you have a terrible pick even for wokeness.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I knew the min this was announced it was another garbage woke production.
The prince is white though. Which, to play Devil's Advocate. Wouldn't a POC take an issue with this as well? People can pretend that it's just a "wypippo" problem with wokeness. I call BS on that.

There's plenty of black people that could take issue with a black woman, fictional or not, being saved by a white man or falling in love with a white man. Techincally, your race is being potentially "white washed" in this scenario.

It goes both ways really. Not saying that there's anything wrong with interracial relationships. However, I just want it to be called out that this ideology in Hollywood perverts BOTH sides of the topic and it promotes long standing tropes with a white savior complex white washing his way into a minorities tribe, home and sacred land.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It looks like a great movie for kids. I’m sure if Disney truly had their way, Ariel would have an oddly placed bulgy fin under “her” waistline and sing in a husky voice.

https://youtu.be/jslK3f077L0

If you think you need Hollywood casting decisions to reflect your own special little microcosm of existence, much less your version of historical accuracy, prepare to be woefully disappointed. LOL

That [BLEEP] is always going to be wacky, and many productions will 100% attempt to inject female empowerment and check all the boxes on racial inclusion.
(doesn't bother me a bit personally)

And yes, there are "versions" of accuracy on this Cleopatra skin tone thing. Lots of conflicting academic opinions about her background and blend of DNA from varied regions of Africa. It would appear we don't actually know exactly how Mediterranean or Sub-Saharan African her skin tone appeared. We only know that it was "different" than what Roman subjects expected Caeser to be paired with.

We do know that she didn't look like Elizabeth Taylor! LOL

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023, 02:20 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 3 times in total.)

(05-23-2023, 01:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you think you need Hollywood casting decisions to reflect your own special little microcosm of existence, much less your version of historical accuracy, prepare to be woefully disappointed. LOL

That [BLEEP] is always going to be wacky, and many productions will 100% attempt to inject female empowerment and check all the boxes on racial inclusion.

And yes, there are "versions" of accuracy on this Cleopatra skin tone thing. Lots of conflicting academic opinions about her background and blend of DNA from varied regions of Africa. It would appear we don't actually know exactly how Mediterranean or  Sub-Saharan African her skin tone appeared. We only know that it was "different" than what Roman subjects expected Caeser to be paired with.

I would never look to Hollywoke for any kind of morale compass.  Look how they Cheerfully clapped for that punk Will Smith after smacking the much smaller man on stage. Hollywoke has no real grasp in reality.  The only reason why I care is because it is still where the vast Majority of flms/tv shows are made. They put their idiotic way of thinking in everything.  In fact, it's almost impossible to find a new TV Show or Movie that does not have a Gay, Gender Swap, or LGbtq reference or point of focus in it. 

Entertain me, don't try to hide your bs politics into every single program.

(05-23-2023, 01:54 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 01:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you think you need Hollywood casting decisions to reflect your own special little microcosm of existence, much less your version of historical accuracy, prepare to be woefully disappointed. LOL

And yes, there are "versions" of accuracy on this Cleopatra skin tone thing. Lots of conflicting academic opinions about her background and blend of DNA from varied regions of Africa. It would appear we don't actually know exactly how Mediterranean or  Sub-Saharan African her skin tone appeared. We only know that it was "different" than what Roman subjects expected Caeser to be paired with.

I would never look to Hollywoke for any kind of morale compass.  Look how they Cheerfully clapped for that punk Will Smith after smacking the much smaller man on stage. Hollywoke has no real grasp in reality.  The only reason why I care is because it is still where the vast Majority of flms/tv shows are made. They put their idiotic way of thinking in everything.  In fact, it's almost impossible to find a new TV Show or Movie that does not have a Gay, Gender Swap, or LGbtq reference or point of focus in it. 

Entertain me, don't try to hide your bs politics into every single program.

Movies/Films are still considered an art form last time I checked. Filmmakers consider themselves artists. 

While entertainment is a function or art, it is not the only aspect or intent. 

Politics and art have always been - and will continue to be - intertwined. 

It just turns out that there is not a large contingent of artists in Hollywood that have interest in presenting their art with a conservative spin. Maybe that will change for you eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

(05-23-2023, 12:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 11:50 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Just wait until the little mermaid bomb coming out this week. They made it so woke, I saw a meme that the white horse is now black. I'm sure the acting will be terrible since it will be cgi because she couldn't swim. Then add that her eyes are on the side of her head and you have a terrible pick even for wokeness.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Wait, what? The actress can't swim? I haven't heard anything about it and sounds like I'm not missing anything.
(05-23-2023, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 12:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Wait, what? The actress can't swim? I haven't heard anything about it and sounds like I'm not missing anything.

Stereotypically, black Americans don't learn how to swim.  Sounds like a stereotype turning into a flase rumor.
But who cares if this actress never learned how to swim?  I didn't get mad that Christopher Reeve couldn't fly.
Unless the article I quickly read was fake, it quoted the actress saying she couldn't swim but that could have been before the film.

Most of the filming wasn't even shot in water to begin with, it's mostly harnesses and cgi.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(05-23-2023, 12:50 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Wait, what? The actress can't swim? I haven't heard anything about it and sounds like I'm not missing anything.

Stereotypically, black Americans don't learn how to swim.  Sounds like a stereotype turning into a flase rumor.
But who cares if this actress never learned how to swim?  I didn't get mad that Christopher Reeve couldn't fly.

I guess you missed the part where I said I had heard nothing about the movie which also means I didn't know the actress was black. 

Pay attention.

There is a big difference between a person not knowing how to swim, something almost anyone can do, and someone not able to fly. Don't even try to argue the point.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 10:35 AM by NewJagsCity.)

(05-22-2023, 11:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 09:56 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I could be wrong. I don’t claim to be an expert. There have been plenty of historical figures who have been portrayed as white who we know for certain weren’t. For me, it’s all entertainment. If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

She was part of the Ptolemaic dynasty that goes back to Alexander the Great. She was from Macedonia, which was basically northern Greece. She most definitely was not black. It's not worth getting up in arms about, but she probably looked something like this: 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fmoco-choco....ipo=images]

I'm Greek by birth (Kalamata, Southern Greece, Peloponnese), and the last time I looked I wasn't black. Tho I did want to be Sly Stone / Superfly in HS.

He couldn't ride horses either.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 10:42 AM by mikesez.)

(05-24-2023, 10:21 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: Stereotypically, black Americans don't learn how to swim.  Sounds like a stereotype turning into a flase rumor.

I guess you missed the part where I said I had heard nothing about the movie which also means I didn't know the actress was black. 

Pay attention.

There is a big difference between a person not knowing how to swim, something almost anyone can do, and someone not able to fly. Don't even try to argue the point.

I was just trying to make a joke.  Didn't mean it to be against your comment at all. I hadn't heard this "actress can't swim" rumor either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-24-2023, 10:30 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-22-2023, 11:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: She was part of the Ptolemaic dynasty that goes back to Alexander the Great. She was from Macedonia, which was basically northern Greece. She most definitely was not black. It's not worth getting up in arms about, but she probably looked something like this: 

I'm Greek by birth (Kalamata, Southern Greece, Peloponnese), and the last time I looked I wasn't black.  Tho I did want to be Sly Stone / Superfly in HS.

(05-23-2023, 12:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: Stereotypically, black Americans don't learn how to swim.  Sounds like a stereotype turning into a flase rumor.

LOL - Love the Sly Stone reference. Undeniably one cool cat. 

The thing with Cleopatra is that there is no record of her mother's heritage or her grandparents' heritage (paternal side I think)  and therefore having been born in a time of mixed cultures from varied regions blending together - we simply cannot know if there were or were not any sub-Saharan African family members in her family tree. 

Most scholars seem content with the speculation that she was olive-skinned, with a Mesopotamian-dominance in here blend. 

Beyond that, I just don't get the uproar in her being portrayed by a black actress. 
It doesn't have to be "some black activist in Hollyweird trying to get one over on whitey" you know. 
It can just be a creative casting decision. 

And, so what if the director and/or casting director read something about Cleopatra being of a dark skin tone and they believed it. There's a ton of those academic opinions out there. Many will opt to believe the version that suits their narrative. 

We've been watching Samurai movies with Japanese historical figures portrayed by Korean, Chinese and Malaysian actors our entire lives and no one complained. LOL

(05-22-2023, 11:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: She was part of the Ptolemaic dynasty that goes back to Alexander the Great. She was from Macedonia, which was basically northern Greece. She most definitely was not black. It's not worth getting up in arms about, but she probably looked something like this: 

I'm Greek by birth (Kalamata, Southern Greece, Peloponnese), and the last time I looked I wasn't black.  Tho I did want to be Sly Stone / Superfly in HS.

Oh Snap!!

[Image: gotcha-wink.gif]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 11:15 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 4 times in total.)

(05-24-2023, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL - Love the Sly Stone reference. Undeniably one cool cat. 

The thing with Cleopatra is that there is no record of her mother's heritage or her grandparents' heritage (paternal side I think)  and therefore having been born in a time of mixed cultures from varied regions blending together - we simply cannot know if there were or were not any sub-Saharan African family members in her family tree. 

Most scholars seem content with the speculation that she was olive-skinned, with a Mesopotamian-dominance in here blend. 

Beyond that, I just don't get the uproar in her being portrayed by a black actress. 
It doesn't have to be "some black activist in Hollyweird trying to get one over on whitey" you know. 

And, so what if the director and/or casting director read something about Cleopatra being of a dark skin tone and they believed it. There's a ton of those academic opinions out there. Many will opt to believe the version that suits their narrative. 

We've been watching Samurai movies with Japanese historical figures portrayed by Korean, Chinese and Malaysian actors our entire lives and no one complained. LOL

I am with you on some of this. I'm not bent over fictional characters changing race / color in movie remakes. And if the race of a historical character is ambiguous, then a fresh racial take is sometimes interesting. If nothing else, it opens up discussion on who these people were and what their places in history were. But if it's clearly obvious historically (ala Hamilton), then it's just nonsense, IMHO. That being said, I do look forward to someday seeing a biopic of David Duke played by Denzel Washington or MLK played by Richard B Spencer. Or even Julius Caesar played by Don Cheadle. Because the way the Roman Empire absorbed conquered peoples, there had to have been a black Caesar at some point in their history. They just couldn't find any black marble to immortalize them.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-24-2023, 11:12 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL - Love the Sly Stone reference. Undeniably one cool cat. 

I am with you on some of this.  I'm not bent over fictional characters changing race / color in movie remakes. And if the race of a historical character is ambiguous, then a fresh racial take is sometimes interesting. If nothing else, it opens up discussion on who these people were and what their places in history were.  But if it's clearly obvious historically (ala Hamilton), then it's just nonsense, IMHO.  That being said, I do look forward to someday seeing a biopic of David Duke played by Denzel Washington or MLK played by Richard B Spencer.  Or even Julius Caesar played by Don Cheadle.  Because the way the Roman Empire absorbed conquered peoples, there had to have been a black Caesar at some point in their history.  They just couldn't find any black marble to immortalize them.

Yes, it can definitely be taken too far. 

The Hamilton thing being a broadway musical written with the intent of blending multi cultural modern music with historical figures makes it an extreme outlier.

But we can certainly point to plenty examples of just plain old "bad casting" or someone taking an intent to include every race imaginable and empowering the women in the story to an extreme  - that they actually hurt the story.

(05-24-2023, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 11:12 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I am with you on some of this.  I'm not bent over fictional characters changing race / color in movie remakes. And if the race of a historical character is ambiguous, then a fresh racial take is sometimes interesting. If nothing else, it opens up discussion on who these people were and what their places in history were.  But if it's clearly obvious historically (ala Hamilton), then it's just nonsense, IMHO.  That being said, I do look forward to someday seeing a biopic of David Duke played by Denzel Washington or MLK played by Richard B Spencer.  Or even Julius Caesar played by Don Cheadle.  Because the way the Roman Empire absorbed conquered peoples, there had to have been a black Caesar at some point in their history.  They just couldn't find any black marble to immortalize them.

The Hamilton thing being a broadway musical written with the intent of blending multi cultural modern music with historical figures makes it an extreme outlier.

But we can certainly point to plenty examples of just plain old "bad casting" or someone taking an intent to include every race imaginable and empowering the women in the story to an extreme  - that they actually hurt the story.

"The Last Black Man On Earth" - Starring - Tom Hanks

I always think of that Dave Chapelle skit with Mooney. [BLEEP] was hilarious as a kid. This was during that year when Tom Cruise was featured in "The Last Samurai". Which was somewhat funny because it had plenty of Japanese actors and characters in it. 

Goes back to that white savior complex that the left likes to casually ignore while whitesplaining to minorities. I find that just as offensive as blatant racism. You're essentially saying you can't do anything on your own without a white person's help or interjection. 

It's like trying to watch a bunch of helicopter parents cut up their adopted teenaged "child's chicken tenders or steak at a restaurant.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The issue I have is just write a new story with new characters. If you want to have characters of different races, fine, but don't just switch the race on existing characters and expect anyone to believe they were the best choice for the role.

Create a new story and let it exist on its own, unless you Lucas and you ruin the series because the new stories aren't great.

That's the biggest problem, all the woke writers are terrible and can't write any original hits.

(05-24-2023, 11:12 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL - Love the Sly Stone reference. Undeniably one cool cat. 

I am with you on some of this.  I'm not bent over fictional characters changing race / color in movie remakes. And if the race of a historical character is ambiguous, then a fresh racial take is sometimes interesting. If nothing else, it opens up discussion on who these people were and what their places in history were.  But if it's clearly obvious historically (ala Hamilton), then it's just nonsense, IMHO.  That being said, I do look forward to someday seeing a biopic of David Duke played by Denzel Washington or MLK played by Richard B Spencer.  Or even Julius Caesar played by Don Cheadle.  Because the way the Roman Empire absorbed conquered peoples, there had to have been a black Caesar at some point in their history.  They just couldn't find any black marble to immortalize them.

Septimus Severus was noted for having dark skin by the standards of the time.  He might have been as dark as Obama, but probably not darker.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2023, 09:07 PM by mikesez.)

(05-24-2023, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 11:12 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I am with you on some of this.  I'm not bent over fictional characters changing race / color in movie remakes. And if the race of a historical character is ambiguous, then a fresh racial take is sometimes interesting. If nothing else, it opens up discussion on who these people were and what their places in history were.  But if it's clearly obvious historically (ala Hamilton), then it's just nonsense, IMHO.  That being said, I do look forward to someday seeing a biopic of David Duke played by Denzel Washington or MLK played by Richard B Spencer.  Or even Julius Caesar played by Don Cheadle.  Because the way the Roman Empire absorbed conquered peoples, there had to have been a black Caesar at some point in their history.  They just couldn't find any black marble to immortalize them.

Hamilton just works.  It doesn't need to be explained and it may never be duplicated.  But because of the Hamilton example, we should withhold judgement on these cross race casting decisions until we know more about the specific production as a whole.  

So sure, go ahead and cast Adele James as Cleopatra.  But market it as a "modern retake" on the story or something like that.  Don't market it as "the true version" of the story.

(05-24-2023, 08:41 PM)p_rushing Wrote: The issue I have is just write a new story with new characters. If you want to have characters of different races, fine, but don't just switch the race on existing characters and expect anyone to believe they were the best choice for the role.

Create a new story and let it exist on its own, unless you Lucas and you ruin the series because the new stories aren't great.

That's the biggest problem, all the woke writers are terrible and can't write any original hits.

Star Wars sequels say you're right.
But Into the Spiderverse and EEAAO say you're wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Spiderverse already written years ago as a comic book series?

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 10:00 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-25-2023, 09:40 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Spiderverse already written years ago as a comic book series?

Yeah. Miles Morales had been created and introduced into Marvel back in 2011. It took the silver screen seven years to make it into a film. At one point you had Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) campaigning for the leading role in the event a movie was actually made. Not really original.

Before Wakanda was cool I grew up watching plenty of well rounded black characters in a Superhero role. Spawn was fantastic. Loved the HBO series and movie in the 90's with my Dad. Blankman was hilarious with Wayan. The Meteor Man was good as well. Steel with Shaq was so-so. This narrative that nobody liked black heroes before this movie or that movie is a joke.