Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New to the politcs game. Can you explain why Biden is good?

(06-03-2023, 09:14 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(05-24-2023, 07:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: As long as the bank failures don't compound into something bigger they will not affect very many people's lives.
The US and China and Russia are all at peace with each other.  There is no WWIII.

Can omeone tell Lindsey Graham and all the people with Ukrainian flags in their profile pics?

There's no Ukraine flag in my profile pics anywhere, but, I wouldn't assume those who have them necessarily want us to be at war with Russia.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-03-2023, 02:53 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 09:14 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Can omeone tell Lindsey Graham and all the people with Ukrainian flags in their profile pics?

There's no Ukraine flag in my profile pics anywhere, but, I wouldn't assume those who have them necessarily want us to be at war with Russia.

How do you feel about the jackwads that love to fly that ridiculous Ukraine flag but don't support our troops or vets? You know the ones.. The ones that support giving that little Ukrainian [BLEEP] all of our money, so he can play dress up in drag again and dance in the streets.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(06-03-2023, 02:59 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 02:53 PM)mikesez Wrote: There's no Ukraine flag in my profile pics anywhere, but, I wouldn't assume those who have them necessarily want us to be at war with Russia.

How do you feel about the jackwads that love to fly that ridiculous Ukraine flag but don't support our troops or vets? You know the ones.. The ones that support giving that little Ukrainian [BLEEP] all of our money, so he can play dress up in drag again and dance in the streets.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I have literally never met a person who said "I don't support our troops" or "I don't support our vets."
I've met many people who didn't want our troops involved in certain places at certain times, and unstable people always accuse them of not "supporting the troops" but of course they do support the troops.  And the vets.

(06-04-2023, 09:30 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 02:59 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: How do you feel about the jackwads that love to fly that ridiculous Ukraine flag but don't support our troops or vets? You know the ones.. The ones that support giving that little Ukrainian [BLEEP] all of our money, so he can play dress up in drag again and dance in the streets.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I have literally never met a person who said "I don't support our troops" or "I don't support our vets."
I've met many people who didn't want our troops involved in certain places at certain times, and unstable people always accuse them of not "supporting the troops" but of course they do support the troops.  And the vets.

I have. My ex husband and I were good friends with a group of folks back in 2005 until he went sideways in 2009 (midlife crisis and PTSD are not a good combination). About 2/3 of this group were what we know now as progressives and they never, ever wanted to acknowledge we were both veterans. They preferred to 'forget' we served our country. Its not like we talked about it on the regular but from time to time the subject of OIF/OEF came up and we'd comment on our experience or POV or whatever and they did not want to hear it. 

They also had no respect for our military even on a basic level. They never said it directly to us but in general conversation they had nothing good to say. 

I remember a protest I went to in Five Points in '05 or '06 where there were pro war folks on one side of the street and anti war on the other. I had a sign that simply said I Support Our Troops and walked around in both groups. If the anti folks said something to me I said I support our troops but not the war. They're people with families doing their jobs. Some said they could respect that but someone actually did shove me off the sidewalk. When I turned around to say something they all moved away quickly. I didn't pursue them because I knew it could turn ugly and I could go to jail. 

There really are folks out there who absolutely do not support our military and they're likely the same ones who want to defund law enforcement.

(06-12-2023, 03:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 09:30 AM)mikesez Wrote: I have no idea what you're talking about.  I have literally never met a person who said "I don't support our troops" or "I don't support our vets."

I have. My ex husband and I were good friends with a group of folks back in 2005 until he went sideways in 2009 (midlife crisis and PTSD are not a good combination). About 2/3 of this group were what we know now as progressives and they never, ever wanted to acknowledge we were both veterans. They preferred to 'forget' we served our country. Its not like we talked about it on the regular but from time to time the subject of OIF/OEF came up and we'd comment on our experience or POV or whatever and they did not want to hear it. 

They also had no respect for our military even on a basic level. They never said it directly to us but in general conversation they had nothing good to say. 

I remember a protest I went to in Five Points in '05 or '06 where there were pro war folks on one side of the street and anti war on the other. I had a sign that simply said I Support Our Troops and walked around in both groups. If the anti folks said something to me I said I support our troops but not the war. They're people with families doing their jobs. Some said they could respect that but someone actually did shove me off the sidewalk. When I turned around to say something they all moved away quickly. I didn't pursue them because I knew it could turn ugly and I could go to jail. 

There really are folks out there who absolutely do not support our military and they're likely the same ones who want to defund law enforcement.

I got together with some high school friends around that time somewhere in Mandarin, and one of them, a UF student who had just come out as gay, started bragging about how sometimes he'd be out late and wander around the UF parking garages to steal as many "support our troops" magnet ribbons as he could.  We told him that was dumb and he insisted it wasn't about "support the troops," he really thought all of those people with car magnets were hypocrites because, to him, the best way to support the troops was to end the war.  No one really bought that argument, but he did insist that he did support the troops.  I never heard from him again.  Not sure he ever had a straight hangout ever again in his life.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2023, 12:41 PM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(06-12-2023, 03:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-12-2023, 03:03 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I have. My ex husband and I were good friends with a group of folks back in 2005 until he went sideways in 2009 (midlife crisis and PTSD are not a good combination). About 2/3 of this group were what we know now as progressives and they never, ever wanted to acknowledge we were both veterans. They preferred to 'forget' we served our country. Its not like we talked about it on the regular but from time to time the subject of OIF/OEF came up and we'd comment on our experience or POV or whatever and they did not want to hear it. 

I got together with some high school friends around that time somewhere in Mandarin, and one of them, a UF student who had just come out as gay, started bragging about how sometimes he'd be out late and wander around the UF parking garages to steal as many "support our troops" magnet ribbons as he could.  We told him that was dumb and he insisted it wasn't about "support the troops," he really thought all of those people with car magnets were hypocrites because, to him, the best way to support the troops was to end the war.  No one really bought that argument, but he did insist that he did support the troops.  I never heard from him again.  Not sure he ever had a straight hangout ever again in his life.

If you really want to support the troops, you're better off setting up random care packages that give them some of the things they can't get over there from home. Other than that? It's really up to Congress and these administrations to give a [BLEEP] about the troops. That's what our tax dollars are supposed to be for. 

Pretty [BLEEP] what's happened over the last century or so here with our military. A lot of these guys signed up with and for good intentions only to turn around a few years later to be treated like [BLEEP] by the people that sent them off to die and for reasons that were not as they seemed where beneath the surface a lot of it was potentially fabricated to benefit some rich [BLEEP] sucker's pockets. 

My parents talked me out of joining the military when I turned 18 back in 2006. Threw me for a loop. Same for my girlfriend's Dad at the time. The Navy was really good to him for close to 20 years or more and he got a damn good job and career afterwards building ships and helping with weapons management on them for fleets I believe. They both told me not to sign up. I was shocked. It wasn't because they didn't think I couldn't hack it physically. They said the mental toll it takes on you, the war at that time going on and just being away from family at such a young age could prove harmful in the long run. 

Fast forward a few years later with my career here and I ended up working with a guy that went that route at 18. Joined the Navy. Got stationed somewhere around the cape or coast of South Africa fighting pirates. His mom got sick all of a sudden and she died before he could get back home to see her and say goodbye and well after she was buried. His dad became an alcoholic. It [BLEEP] him up for years he told me. 

I guess it makes more sense now when you think about it in terms of the fact that life goes on for everybody, not just those that join and sacrifice their time and lives. Those are two things you simply cannot get back. When my girlfriend told me at the time that her Dad would basically spend six months out to sea out of Mayport every year. Took me years later to realize. 20 years in the Navy meant 10 years with his daughters. Having a son of my own now approaching 3 already? That hurts to think about. He went to sea and blinked. Both his daughters were grown, dating and off to college before he knew it. 

It's rough. I feel for military men and women. And I especially feel for their families. If anybody asked me what I thought about them joining? I would tell them it's up to them. However, make sure you're mentally prepared more than you are physically. Make sure you do your homework on our history as a country with war and what we're really getting into. It wouldn't hurt to read War is a Racket and a number of other source materials out there that make most of wars very questionable in nature.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Care packages were (and still are) essential to our troops. I remember my family (mom and stepdad, aunts and uncles) asking me what to send when my ex was over there. Between all of us he got enough stuff to share with his guys, some of whom got nothing from anyone else. That is most definitely how you support them while deployed. 

You can also volunteer at the VA or donate items to the VA. Before he developed a form of dementia my stepdad (a Vietnam vet) would drive veterans to appointments through the DAV (Disabled American Vets) organization. I've thought about doing that myself but I have my hands full being a part-time caregiver to my neighbor who is a Vietnam veteran. 

There are definitely many ways to actually support our military that includes veterans and retirees. When I held up that sign at that protest I was supporting my then husband who was still dealing with his time in Iraq. For a lot of combat veterans the support starts at home with spouses and families who deal with the aftermath of their husband's/wife's time over there and it's freaking hard. Not as hard as they had it but hard in it's own way. I was thankful every day of his deployment and afterwards that I was a soldier before I was a soldier's wife. I could relate to things on a level that civilian spouses never could and while our marriage did end when he walked away, my time in definitely gave me an advantage before that happened.