Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rich Dad, Poor Dad Author Warns Of Real Estate Crash

(06-16-2023, 09:46 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(06-16-2023, 07:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have no doubts a correction is pending. However, I don’t see the shock of 2008. It was obvious to the most casual observer then that the system was upside down. I remember having conversations with my coworkers about how people were buying houses who were clearly not qualified. I saw it all through my neighborhood. Those signs aren’t as abundant now.

That's the other big factor as to why this isn't 2008 all over again (aside from inventories being low).  Lenders aren't giving out loans with no proof of income like they were leading up to 2008.  The doomsday industry has been putting ads on internet and radio for it seems like 20 years usually to sell you an annuity or their newsletter or something else.  Not sure what Kiyosaki's specific angle is here since I don't think he sells either, but he should know the circumstances now vs then aren't all that comparable.

His angle is, he's building his brand.  He wants to add "the guy who predicted the real estate crash."  

From Wikipedia:  

Robert Toru Kiyosaki (born April 8, 1947) is an American entrepreneur, businessman and author.[1] Kiyosaki is the founder of Rich Global LLC and the Rich Dad Company, a private financial education company that provides personal finance and business education to people through books and videos. The company's main revenues come from franchisees of the Rich Dad seminars that are conducted by independent individuals using Kiyosaki's brand name.[citation needed] He is also the creator of the Cashflow board and software games to educate adults and children about business and financial concepts.[2]

Kiyosaki is the author of more than 26 books, including the international self-published personal finance Rich Dad Poor Dad series of books which has been translated into 51 languages and sold over 41 million copies worldwide. Kiyosaki is the subject of a class action suit filed by people who attended his seminars and has been the subject of two investigative documentaries by CBC Canada and WTAE USA.[3][4] Kiyosaki's company, Rich Global LLC, filed for bankruptcy in 2012.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's a charlatan.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2023, 06:44 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-22-2023, 02:37 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: He's a charlatan.

Like Trump.  Running a for-profit seminar company that sells people on the idea that they can get rich by paying for more seminars.  

Trump University: How Donald Trump’s for-profit seminar company allegedly ripped off poor souls who wanted to get rich quick. (slate.com)

People were invited to a free—or “FREE,” as the mailers advertising Trump University declared—seminar, held in a local hotel like the Hilton Garden Inn in Greenbelt, Maryland, the Renaissance Glendale Hotel and Spa in suburban Phoenix, or the Doubletree in Berkeley, California. There, “hand-picked” instructors would begin to school you in the intricacies of investing in real estate so that it could seem like a reasonable thing for someone to do.

And what happened next? What’s known in the industry as the upsell, a pressure-heavy attempt to get consumers to buy in, and I mean that literally. Those attending Trump University’s free seminar were repeatedly told they should sign up for a three-day seminar called “The Apprenticeship Program,” costing $1,495, if they really wanted to get ahead.

And if they did that? According to the lawsuits, the main thing they learned in those three days was what they should say to convince credit card issuers to raise the credit limits on their cards. Why? They needed the money to fund their new businesses. Immediately. If that didn’t work, they could also apply for new cards. Students were told they should remember to include “projected income” when calculating household earnings on applications for new cards. What projected income, you might ask? Well, the real estate empires they would be setting up as soon as they left the class. But first …

Yes, another class! And another. And special mentoring. All of it could be yours—for a price. That’s the upsell. As laid out in a lawsuit filed by Tarla Makaeff, the California woman Trump University countersued, there was the Gold Elite package, costing $48,490, but available to attendees at the “one day only” special sale price of $34,995. If they couldn’t afford that, Trump University also offered Silver Elite and Bronze Elite plans at a limited-time discount.

And how should a student pay for that? Well, you remember that credit card, right?