Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 2 PFF grades

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023, 06:21 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

[Image: pff-grades-offense-week-2-v0-yte5ygzag1p...56a96ba26d]

[Image: pff-grades-defense-week-2-v0-q86evgrgg1p...96dfb900e7]

Good to see Bartch having a much better grade this week than last week being last week was his first game back from injury. No excuses for Fortner as he has been the weak spot on this oline now going on 2 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't tell the haters but Herndon again was one of the better players. I like to see Walker up there. The interior lines have to play better. Ridley vanished most of the game.

(09-18-2023, 06:26 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Don't tell the haters but Herndon again was one of the better players.  I like to see Walker up there.  The interior lines have to play better.  Ridley vanished most of the game.

Good to see Herndon played better.  With that said the Chiefs have no WRs.  We will see how he does when we go up agaisnt a team with a decent set of WRs

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023, 06:34 PM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

The right side of the OL was blown up, yes, but KC went after them something fierce. Jones was lined up on the right side probably 85% of his snaps. I'm not excusing, just explaining. If we get a team that decides to attack the left side, then we'll see Little and Bartch getting hammered and Scherff and Harrison looking like studs.

The line's performance does look like it's pivoting on Fortner, though. I imagine there is some pressure to put Shatley in to anchor that pivot but as soon as that happens then put a fork in Fortner because he's done.

(09-18-2023, 06:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:26 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Don't tell the haters but Herndon again was one of the better players.  I like to see Walker up there.  The interior lines have to play better.  Ridley vanished most of the game.

Good to see Herndon played better.  With that said the Chiefs have no WRs.  We will see how he does when we go up agaisnt a team with a decent set of WRs

Herndon made a couple good plays vs kelce

I wish PFF would give some weight to playing time. There's no way anyone is going to say of Ernest was our best player yesterday. Did he not screw up when his number was called? Sure, we can all grant that, but there's no way anyone should think he'd keep up that level of performance if he got the same number of snaps as Etienne.

I think they put too much weight on a bad play, especially when considering the volume of plays some of the guys have.

I guess I'll stick to the eye test.

(09-19-2023, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: I wish PFF would give some weight to playing time. There's no way anyone is going to say of Ernest was our best player yesterday. Did he not screw up when his number was called? Sure, we can all grant that, but there's no way anyone should think he'd keep up that level of performance if he got the same number of snaps as Etienne.

I think they put too much weight on a bad play, especially when considering the volume of plays some of the guys have.

I agree. That's two weeks in a row now I think he graded out at the top. He had a negative yardage play in week one and then he had a nice little route on the outside with a good catch from Lawrene. That's all I have seen out of him recently.

I do think though, for the most part, the offensive line grades tend to match the eye test. I think that's probably one of the more easier groups to grade out, BUT, there's always a catch. We don't truly always know who is on assignment there. 

Somebody made a good point about Scherff. He's sandwiched in between Fortner, who gets his [BLEEP] handed to him constantly, and now a rookie RT in Harrison who has had to square off against Buckner and Jones in his first two NFL games. 

Little seems to be doing well at LT, however, what happens when we play a team that favors their pass rusher on the left side Vs. right side? He'll have his challenges at some point. It's tough. For sure.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

That 2 million dollar contract is paying off

(09-19-2023, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: I wish PFF would give some weight to playing time. There's no way anyone is going to say of Ernest was our best player yesterday. Did he not screw up when his number was called? Sure, we can all grant that, but there's no way anyone should think he'd keep up that level of performance if he got the same number of snaps as Etienne.

Their grading has always been wacky in certain ways.

It doesn't take much to skew a game grade, and they choose not to compute factors that should be included in their equation. 

One bad play can affect a grade too much as can one good one. 

They don't seem to penalize offensive linemen for being bullrushed back onto the toes of their quarterback either which I find puzzling. 

Eye test is still best - and that all22 replay reveals lots of stuff we tend to miss.

PFF also doesn’t calculate that Harrison went against Jones, and Little went against Karlaftis. 

PFF also doesn’t know the playcall and/or blocking assignments of each player and doesn’t know how to compute if an offensive lineman intentionally lets a defensive lineman come free. They also don’t know if an offensive lineman is expecting help from left or right or if an offensive lineman is trying get to the 2nd level. 

Johnson had 1 carry for 8 yards and was the highest graded player on the team against the Chiefs. 

A WR can catch1 pass for 10 yards and get benched because he didn’t take his route 14 back to 10 on a comeback. But PFF will lead you to believe that WR is the highest rated WR on the team, when actually he’s the knucklehead that didn’t help his team get the first down. But in reality the WR rounded his route off and bobbled the football, and ran out of bounds instead of making a move and trying to score.

If Right Tackle Harrison is matched up against Lawrence Taylor all game and LT Little is matched up with Derrick Harvey all game, PFF will give Little a higher grade than Harrison. 

If the guys working for PFF might have never got in a 3 point stance with football pads and a helmet and blocked anybody which means they can’t give a quality representation of what they saw. They try to see everybody on the field as equal entities which is why their formula is inaccurate. Kinda like a dyno print out for your hotrod. It really doesn’t mean anything.

(09-20-2023, 07:50 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

PFF also doesn’t calculate that Harrison went against Jones, and Little went against Karlaftis. 

PFF also doesn’t know the playcall and/or blocking assignments of each player and doesn’t know how to compute if an offensive lineman intentionally lets a defensive lineman come free. They also don’t know if an offensive lineman is expecting help from left or right or if an offensive lineman is trying get to the 2nd level. 

Johnson had 1 carry for 8 yards and was the highest graded player on the team against the Chiefs. 

A WR can catch1 pass for 10 yards and get benched because he didn’t take his route 14 back to 10 on a comeback. But PFF will lead you to believe that WR is the highest rated WR on the team, when actually he’s the knucklehead that didn’t help his team get the first down. But in reality the WR rounded his route off and bobbled the football, and ran out of bounds instead of making a move and trying to score.

If Right Tackle Harrison is matched up against Lawrence Taylor all game and LT Little is matched up with Derrick Harvey all game, PFF will give Little a higher grade than Harrison. 

If the guys working for PFF might have never got in a 3 point stance with football pads and a helmet and blocked anybody which means they can’t give a quality representation of what they saw. They try to see everybody on the field as equal entities which is why their formula is inaccurate. Kinda like a dyno print out for your hotrod. It really doesn’t mean anything.

Johnson graded high due to earning a first down with a run, a first down with a reception, and being in on 4 pass blocking assignments wherein he scored highly on all four. 

What the grade doesn't tell you is that he played 6 total offensive snaps.

The O-Line Grades look just like they did last year....

Interesting....

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2023, 08:05 PM by carp8dm. Edited 2 times in total.)

Naw, it's obvious they don't take Special Teams plays into consideration.  D'Ernest was one of the main reasons that we let that Kick Off go for a TD.  Dude had an angle and loafed thinking the other players would get there.  His effort on Special Teams was lazy and he should be punished for it.  

ETN was obviously our best offensive player.  The fact that the only way they used ETN was run up the middle plays on 1st and 10 is a travesty of coaching!!!!

If you look at the Kick Return for a TD by Houston, you can see that clearly they don't grade special teams.

Just watch 25... Either he's totally gassed or he's just completely slow compared to a freaking FB that's 30 pounds heavier than him. I watch D'Ernest there and I see a dude that is not going full out. He's going 75 out thinking he'll make the angle. And guess what... He didn't get there.

You know who that reminds me of? There was this Safety we got in the 2nd round that we all loved. Dude looked like a baller. But he never got to angles. You know why he never did? Cuz he never went all out. He went 70-80% pursuit thinking he'd get there. And no matter what, he'd always guess the angle wrong. You know why he guessed the angle wrong? Cuz he was lazy. D'Ernest was lazy on that pursuit. He thought other players would get there.

Cisco thought other players would get there.

Wingard thought other players would get there.

This whole team just thinks other players are going to get there.

This is the worst coached team I've ever seen. Nobody cares to get there. They just assume someone will.