Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The play calling or the QB? What is wrong with the passing game

(11-13-2023, 03:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 03:24 PM)jagshype Wrote: Its only 2 steps while in shot gun
TE chip on RE
RB chip on LE

hot check if they blitz

Theres ways to mitigate everything but try you must

No disagreement, but they got to Lawrence with a three man rush yesterday. There's just no way an offense can function when multiple guys are getting beat on the line every play. The fact that we're 6-3 with this group is a testament to how really good our defense has been and how really good the SF front 4 are this year.

There was a play yesterday where they let of all people Nick Bosa run unblocked at Lawrence. There were times Lawrence had more than a few seconds to pass the ball but for some reason did not pull the trigger. From my perspective it's hard for me to say, if he was being too timid or the man coverage was locking up all receivers down field. The camera angles do not show the whole picture.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

All the more reason they need to roll him out by design and get motion going to mix up the defensive looks and coverages in our favor. We could probably get more opportunities deep by doing this. I feel like it's been missing the most in this offense this year.

The same way they lined up Kittle yesterday and smoked us with a stack formation is the same type of concepts this team can run with it's personnel. Should be doubling down on one side of the football field with mismatches if there's one or two to be had.

Why not put Ridley and Engram stacked out there out wide? Why not have Kirk or Etienne doing more things in motion routes and underneath routes? Just seems like we can't establish anything consistently enough to get anything going consistently enough. We have no foundation.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-13-2023, 03:21 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 02:19 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I think tank will be third string running back soon. I like him, but he doesn’t protect the ball with his stone hands.

I think Tank is gonna compete with Snoop for a spot on the PS at this rate. @Do we darft another RB next year?@

You draft a rb in the mid to late rounds every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

My guess is the O line has been downright abysmal at times. I think Trevor has permanently sped up his mental clock, which is something you don't want your QB doing. His decision making with a clean pocket is suspect at times, so putting him under constant pressure is a recipe for disaster. Some blame has to go on the QB though, you can't play scared or constantly sped up. I don't know if he's being coached to do that, or it's a biproduct of scheme/o line play.... Unless you're in the building it's impossible to know 100%.

I think Press has also "dumbed down" the offense to try and help the line and get the ball out of Trevor's hands. The problem with that is, good coaches can key in on your tendencies and take away read 1/2. SF did an absolute clinical job in that department. The offense was 1000% accounted for and it was apparent on almost every play.

Dave Campo said on the 5th Quarter radio show following the game that the record at Everbank (1-3) vs. outside of Everbank (5-0) might indicate that these guys are more focused when they're kept all together. Suggested they stay in a hotel the night before home games. I'm inclined to agree. The offensive performances at Everbank this year have, by and large, been offensive to watch.

(11-13-2023, 04:00 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: My guess is the O line has been downright abysmal at times. I think Trevor has permanently sped up his mental clock, which is something you don't want your QB doing. His decision making with a clean pocket is suspect at times, so putting him under constant pressure is a recipe for disaster. Some blame has to go on the QB though, you can't play scared or constantly sped up. I don't know if he's being coached to do that, or it's a biproduct of scheme/o line play.... Unless you're in the building it's impossible to know 100%.

I think Press has also "dumbed down" the offense to try and help the line and get the ball out of Trevor's hands. The problem with that is, good coaches can key in on your tendencies and take away read 1/2. SF did an absolute clinical job in that department. The offense was 1000% accounted for and it was apparent on almost every play.

All of this is accurate. Bad line play makes for a limited playbook which makes it easy for defenses.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-13-2023, 04:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 04:00 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: My guess is the O line has been downright abysmal at times. I think Trevor has permanently sped up his mental clock, which is something you don't want your QB doing. His decision making with a clean pocket is suspect at times, so putting him under constant pressure is a recipe for disaster. Some blame has to go on the QB though, you can't play scared or constantly sped up. I don't know if he's being coached to do that, or it's a biproduct of scheme/o line play.... Unless you're in the building it's impossible to know 100%.

All of this is accurate. Bad line play makes for a limited playbook which makes it easy for defenses.

And we are now in year two of seeing that scenario play out.  It isn't new. The only thing new is the cumulative effect all of this bad protection is having on the young QB and his processing/decision making.

Man- I hope we get him protection before a David Carr/Andrew Luck type scenario ruins his opportunity. 

Every time we face smart coaches with enough talented defenders - they will take advantage. 

Just like every time we face a really good play caller they find ways to get their TE matched up on Herndon, Jenkins or a LB to big results. 

SF did all of those things plus dominating the LOS on both sides.

It also doesn't hurt that SF is absolutely loaded just about everywhere. Good coaching + basically an all-star caliber roster = what we saw against an ill prepared/ team with a suspect/average at best O line.

(11-13-2023, 04:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

So scheme around it or work around it to make a game out of it. There's also news circulating that supposedly they were out late Saturday night [BLEEP] around because of Miss Lawrence's birthday party.

Get your [BLEEP] together boys. It's a home game. Show some [BLEEP] pride here. This is the [BLEEP] we're supposed to ask the tax dollar here locally to shell out more money for with a new stadium? For what? It's just putting lipstick on a [BLEEP] pig at this point. 

That's exactly how they play here too. Like a bunch of pigs in it's own slop. 

Sloppy against the Chiefs.
Sloppy against the tinhorns.
Sloppy against the 49ers. 

You gave us one good game against Minshew and the clots and that's a team we historically beat up on here anyways. Big [BLEEP] whoop.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The oline is the biggest problem, Press is 2nd because he is calling plays like we have a top 15 line.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(11-13-2023, 04:49 PM)Protozoa Wrote: The oline is the biggest problem, Press is 2nd because he is calling plays like we have a top 15 line.

Actually, I think it's the exact opposite.  There was an article that shows our recievers run the most shallow routes in the entire NFL.  Clearly this is Press' solution to a bad O-Line...  However, it's actually making the situation worse.  Defenders are sitting and waiting for our shallow routes that rarely go past 10 yards.  It's like shooting fish in a barrel, unfortunately.

We run the most shallow routes in the entire NFL, and it's not like we have the worst O-Line in the NFL.  There are plenty of bad o-lines that have play callers and game plans that still allow them to put at least some pressure on the defense.  If every defense knows we're running crossers, flat routes, and comebacks all day that rarely go past 10 yards, it makes everyone's job on the O-Line and under center that much more difficult.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 05:12 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-13-2023, 04:49 PM)Protozoa Wrote: The oline is the biggest problem, Press is 2nd because he is calling plays like we have a top 15 line.

The offensive line is certainly the biggest problem. 

I don't think Press is calling plays like we have a top offensive line though. If anything, it's the opposite. That's why we're towards the bottom or the actual basement floor in plays and routes being ran more than twenty yards downfield. 

With that said? Look, our staff has to figure this out along with Lawrence. This is why coaches get paid to coach and why QB's get all the glory. They need to work together, scheme some things together that work and start cutting back on the things that don't work.

If the offensive line is struggling, especially the interior, you have to consider more motion presnap, you have to consider getting Lawrence out of the pocket with designed routes that fit that level of play. You have to consider more twin TE sets with blocking and misdirection in the passing game with them.

I am just not seeing it enough. I think I saw it maybe once or twice in yesterday's game with the willingness to move the pocket away from pressure. But, it's tough. I get it. On the flipside, we're not playing the 49ers every Sunday. So, there's that. Yesterday's beating should be a learning moment for the team. Especially the lineman.

If that's as bad as it can get this year? [BLEEP] get your [BLEEP] together and play tougher moving forward. Lanes were being [BLEEP] JACKED right from the snap. It was brutal to watch that game. 

I had a feeling it was going to be physical like the Buffalo game in London, but, damn, the 49ers took it to another level and this team was not prepared. I don't give a [BLEEP] what Doug said today in his press conference with the media. Prepared my [BLEEP]. A prepared team does not play that bad and lose by 31 points at home.

Mr. Sandman paid this team a visit over the weekend and they got caught sleep walking into this game on Sunday.

(11-13-2023, 04:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 04:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: All of this is accurate. Bad line play makes for a limited playbook which makes it easy for defenses.

So scheme around it or work around it to make a game out of it. There's also news circulating that supposedly they were out late Saturday night [BLEEP] around because of Miss Lawrence's birthday party.

If this is true then that must be what Doug was so angry about(apart from the result itself). 

I saw that Mrs Lawrence posted pictures from a birthday celebration. Maybe it wasn't a huge party but I wonder about the focus...

(11-13-2023, 05:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 04:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote: So scheme around it or work around it to make a game out of it. There's also news circulating that supposedly they were out late Saturday night [BLEEP] around because of Miss Lawrence's birthday party.

If this is true then that must be what Doug was so angry about(apart from the result itself). 

I saw that Mrs Lawrence posted pictures from a birthday celebration. Maybe it wasn't a huge party but I wonder about the focus...

How many offensive linemen were there?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023, 08:05 PM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

Falling behind in the chains, penalties, dropping the ball/fumbling, it all adds up. We start finding a rhythm and then someone makes a bad play. Team effort.

(11-13-2023, 05:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 05:40 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: If this is true then that must be what Doug was so angry about(apart from the result itself). 

How many offensive linemen were there?

Walker Little was somewhere else. 

Considering his historically bad performance yesterday I don't think he prepared for the game either. Brilliant minds said he was the solution to the left guard spot so it can't be he's just not good enough.

(11-13-2023, 08:48 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 05:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How many offensive linemen were there?

Walker Little was somewhere else. 

Considering his historically bad performance yesterday I don't think he prepared for the game either. Brilliant minds said he was the solution to the left guard spot so it can't be he's just not good enough.

Little was fine at tackle, still can't believe we pushed him inside for PED Robinson.

(11-13-2023, 08:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 08:48 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Walker Little was somewhere else. 

Little was fine at tackle, still can't believe we pushed him inside for PED Robinson.

Meanwhile -  Robinson had a crap fest game at Little's spot - a highly rated guard sat on the bench - and Little looked horrible played out of position

OL all day

(11-13-2023, 09:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 08:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Little was fine at tackle, still can't believe we pushed him inside for PED Robinson.

Meanwhile -  Robinson had a crap fest game at Little's spot - a highly rated guard sat on the bench - and Little looked horrible played out of position

But, like Baseli said...before this game Walker had played 10 snaps at the position, and now he was expected to go up against one of the best defensive lines in football.  He was poor, but the question is...CAN Walker be a good LG.   I think he can.    That said, I think that it's a waste having him play there if he has no future as the Jags starting left guard.  

I think Walker can be an above average left guard, but it may take 2 more games.  Remember, he just came back from an injury.

Robinson isn't going to be benched.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!