Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 12 Grades

(11-30-2023, 10:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 10:23 AM)Holger Wrote: I think they could keep these three players but I fear they will have to cut a few of three guys that are under contract but expensive: Cam, Scherff or D. Williams. The O-Line will again be subject to a shuffle it seems in the offseason. Shatley is also a free agent.

There's always going to be some degree of turnover and shuffling with the roster. Just how it works. I think it's very likely you won't see:

1. Cam Robinson
2. Jamal Agnew
3. K'Lavon Chaisson

Those three players I feel like we'll not see back for sure. Due to cap, injuries and low performance. I think we might see some trades on our end with some of our players as well. Just depends. I think the obvious keys are getting the interiors fixed on both sides of the line though. That's a must do. 

If you can improve your interior presence on both sides? This team can easily take the next step up with the truly elite teams and they can afford to lose a secondary player on defense or a skill position player on offense because you're now increasing time in the pocket for Lawrence to be successful while also shortening the time your opponent has to read and react.

Last offseason I thought the same about Agnew, and also RRH. It will be interesting to see what they do. Its a shame that we have a need at center. I am not so sure about IDL. We have quite the nice rotation with RRH, Fatukasi and Hamilton if all are well, plus Lacy has flashed a bit as a 4th option. I would love to see them draft a WR early. Good news most of the defense should stay the same, only D. Williams and Herndon are question marks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 01:22 PM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(11-30-2023, 11:59 AM)Holger Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 10:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There's always going to be some degree of turnover and shuffling with the roster. Just how it works. I think it's very likely you won't see:

1. Cam Robinson
2. Jamal Agnew
3. K'Lavon Chaisson

Those three players I feel like we'll not see back for sure. Due to cap, injuries and low performance. I think we might see some trades on our end with some of our players as well. Just depends. I think the obvious keys are getting the interiors fixed on both sides of the line though. That's a must do. 

If you can improve your interior presence on both sides? This team can easily take the next step up with the truly elite teams and they can afford to lose a secondary player on defense or a skill position player on offense because you're now increasing time in the pocket for Lawrence to be successful while also shortening the time your opponent has to read and react.

Last offseason I thought the same about Agnew, and also RRH. It will be interesting to see what they do. Its a shame that we have a need at center. I am not so sure about IDL. We have quite the nice rotation with RRH, Fatukasi and Hamilton if all are well, plus Lacy has flashed a bit as a 4th option. I would love to see them draft a WR early. Good news most of the defense should stay the same, only D. Williams and Herndon are question marks.

I keep seeing WR come up on X with the draft in the Jaguar local talking heads, podcast crews and coverage communities here. I am not sure what to make of that yet. Would really have to be a good argument that can be made depending on who is there. 

If it's not Marvin Harrison Jr., Rome Odunze, Emeka Egbuka or Keon Coleman I can't see why we would draft a receiver on the opening night of the draft. Those four guys should be off the board before we get a chance at them either way. 

It also wouldn't make sense unless Ridley is not coming back. However, if Ridley, Kirk and Jones are still on the team in 2024? And, you're carrying over Cooks who is apart of the team now as an undrafted pick-up and Washington, who will more than likely replace Agnew on return duties in 2024. 

It just seems overkill and a waste of early resources. I wouldn't mind a flyer on a guy on day three though. Somebody like Brenden Rice, Ricky Pearsall, Ladd McConkey or Xavier Weaver would be good pick-up's late if you absolutely think you need a 5th or 6th WR upgrade in the WR room. 

Anything short of getting three interior players (both sides of the line of scrimmage) or a versatility player that can swing outside and play inside immediately with our first three, four picks will be disappointing in my opinion. I think we need to see something like C, DT, G/OT or G, DT, DT/EDGE with our first few picks in next year's draft. Obviously free agency will also play a role in that. You can always sign maybe one guy that fits a need there but it's early.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Every year TONS of fans clamor to draft a WR in the first or second round. Regardless of how our roster is built.
I get it. They are some of the most exciting prospects to watch and project to the NFL. But it would be unwise.

I'd stay well away unless some ridiculous talent fell way down to the Jags, and in today's league, that ain't gonna happen.

2025 would be a wiser time to draft a guy if none of our developmental guys are coming along well enough.
Just tag Ridley if you can't work a 3 year deal with him reasonably and keep rolling with what we have.

(11-30-2023, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every year TONS of fans clamor to draft a WR in the first or second round. Regardless of how our roster is built.
I get it. They are some of the most exciting prospects to watch and project the NFL. But it would be unwise.

I'd stay well away unless some ridiculous talent fell way down to the Jags, and in today's league, that ain't gonna happen.

2025 would be a wiser time to draft a guy if none of our developmental guys are coming along well enough.
Just tag Ridley if you can't work a 3 year deal with him reasonably and keep rolling with what we have.
I can't help it! I love WRs!

Franklin would look really good in teal.

But I honestly haven't thought about the draft for a second this year. I love it.

(11-30-2023, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 01:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every year TONS of fans clamor to draft a WR in the first or second round. Regardless of how our roster is built.
I get it. They are some of the most exciting prospects to watch and project the NFL. But it would be unwise.

But I honestly haven't thought about the draft for a second this year. I love it.

Said Trent Baalke as he failed to address the needs of the O line during the draft.

(11-30-2023, 01:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can't help it! I love WRs!

Said Trent Baalke as he failed to address the needs of the O line during the draft.
Trent loves off ball linebackers lol

(11-30-2023, 01:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 01:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Said Trent Baalke as he failed to address the needs of the O line during the draft.
Trent loves off ball linebackers lol

That and RB's. Need a Drake meme with Baalke's head over his:

"WR's and OG's?" - NAHHH
"RB's and LB's" - YEAHHH

[Image: nssgg09wcxe31.jpg]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-30-2023, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

(11-30-2023, 01:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can't help it! I love WRs!

Said Trent Baalke on April 24th, 2024.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-29-2023, 11:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 08:34 PM)carp8dm Wrote: I posted PFF grades in on of the mega threads comparing last year's O-Line to this years...  They are similar.

It's good to see that it's obvious that it wasn't the O-Line that was the issue of why this offense was not effective in the first 2 months.  

That leaves other variables that can be discussed at a later time.

Either way, I thought our O-Line did really well over the last 5 games, excluding the 49ers fiasco, of course.
The offense wasn't effective in many of last year's games either. And poor OL play was a factor then too. 
After the SF game:

Reporter to Doug Pederson in Monday Presser:
"What do you have to say about the low depth of target numbers being reported and the lack of throws downfield?"

Doug Pederson:  ...sometimes the protection just isn't there. 

He rarely calls out his OL play, but he did.

That ^ and literally every pundit who reports on this team all ranting about bad protection and run blocking until two weeks ago when one of those things finally started to turn in a better direction should tell you all you need to know about how delusional your "OL wasn't affecting the offense" take is. Nevermind how the absolutely abysmal run blocking is allowing defenses to focus on our singular dimension of effectiveness.

Trevor didn't hit those throws downfield by accident in Houston. He was only pressured on 5.3% of his drop backs with ZERO sacks

By comparison-
Trevor's worst outings this year featured pressure rates as such:

Week 2 Loss to Kansas City : pressured on 35% of attempts 
Week 3 Loss to Houston : Pressured on 19% of attempts
Week 9 Loss to SFO : Pressured on 25% of attempts 

(7 of Lawrence's games this season have featured a pressure rate of 19% or higher - combine that with the lowest pocket time of every top 12 QB in the league besides Tua and the dynamics should be clear - the line is holding him back in weeks they don't protect well - and by extension , downfield throwing has greatly suffered at times)

So after a game where he only saw a 5% pressure rate and threw for 363 yards you want to declare protection was not a factor in the offense's productivity in prior weeks?? 

You are inexorably incorrect. 

The line was bad last year too is not a defense of the position either. 

The line was bad last year - and it also affected the offense's production:
That's why after 11 games last year he had thrown for 2,655 yards 16TDs  (FOUR WINS)
And this year at the same point he has thrown for  2746 yards and 12 TDs  (EIGHT WINS)

Hmmm - remarkably similar despite the first half of this year's games being called by the guy who only called the second half of games last year.

Only difference seems to be that we won twice as many games this year now that the defense is contributing.

That's a lot of words to say you agree with me...  LOL

But it's nice that you admit it.

Let's move on, shall we.

(11-30-2023, 04:14 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 11:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The offense wasn't effective in many of last year's games either. And poor OL play was a factor then too. 
After the SF game:

"What do you have to say about the low depth of target numbers being reported and the lack of throws downfield?"

That ^ and literally every pundit who reports on this team all ranting about bad protection and run blocking until two weeks ago when one of those things finally started to turn in a better direction should tell you all you need to know about how delusional your "OL wasn't affecting the offense" take is. Nevermind how the absolutely abysmal run blocking is allowing defenses to focus on our singular dimension of effectiveness.

Trevor didn't hit those throws downfield by accident in Houston. He was only pressured on 5.3% of his drop backs with ZERO sacks

By comparison-

(7 of Lawrence's games this season have featured a pressure rate of 19% or higher - combine that with the lowest pocket time of every top 12 QB in the league besides Tua and the dynamics should be clear - the line is holding him back in weeks they don't protect well - and by extension , downfield throwing has greatly suffered at times)

So after a game where he only saw a 5% pressure rate and threw for 363 yards you want to declare protection was not a factor in the offense's productivity in prior weeks?? 

That's why after 11 games last year he had thrown for 2,655 yards 16TDs  (FOUR WINS)
And this year at the same point he has thrown for  2746 yards and 12 TDs  (EIGHT WINS)

Hmmm - remarkably similar despite the first half of this year's games being called by the guy who only called the second half of games last year.

Only difference seems to be that we won twice as many games this year now that the defense is contributing.

Let's move on, shall we.

You said the Jags OL protected well in the past 5 games and that is complete nonsense. 

You've repeatedly tied yourself into a pretzel trying to steer fault away from the line to defend your ridiculous accusations against the OC "calling a completely different offense" and all of it has been baseless opinion unsupported by any fact. 
I don't agree with any of that.

Now I can move on.

(11-30-2023, 04:14 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 11:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The offense wasn't effective in many of last year's games either. And poor OL play was a factor then too. 
After the SF game:

By comparison-

Let's move on, shall we.

Another instance of what you see/read being your imagination rather than reality.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-30-2023, 04:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 04:14 PM)carp8dm Wrote: That's a lot of words to say you agree with me...  LOL

Let's move on, shall we.

Another instance of what you see/read being your imagination rather than reality.

Says the hater that does nothing but follow me into every thread to try and be contrarian and pick a fight.

(11-30-2023, 05:13 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 04:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Another instance of what you see/read being your imagination rather than reality.

Says the hater that does nothing but follow me into every thread to try and be contrarian and pick a fight.

Again, reality. Correcting your ignorance is to your benefit, so I'll keep working at it.

(11-30-2023, 05:13 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 04:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Another instance of what you see/read being your imagination rather than reality.

such a victim. Notice a common denominator?

No need to be of hivemind, but a little humility would go a long way.

(12-01-2023, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 05:13 PM)carp8dm Wrote: Says the hater that does nothing but follow me into every thread to try and be contrarian and pick a fight.

such a victim. Notice a common denominator?

No need to be of hivemind, but a little humility would go a long way.

The peanut gallery is thinking they now have classified each other as contrarians. I am not sure but I believe flsprtsgod first wielded that description to describe carp8dm.  Carry on....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-30-2023, 01:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-30-2023, 11:59 AM)Holger Wrote: Last offseason I thought the same about Agnew, and also RRH. It will be interesting to see what they do. Its a shame that we have a need at center. I am not so sure about IDL. We have quite the nice rotation with RRH, Fatukasi and Hamilton if all are well, plus Lacy has flashed a bit as a 4th option. I would love to see them draft a WR early. Good news most of the defense should stay the same, only D. Williams and Herndon are question marks.

I keep seeing WR come up on X with the draft in the Jaguar local talking heads, podcast crews and coverage communities here. I am not sure what to make of that yet. Would really have to be a good argument that can be made depending on who is there. 

If it's not Marvin Harrison Jr., Rome Odunze, Emeka Egbuka or Keon Coleman I can't see why we would draft a receiver on the opening night of the draft. Those four guys should be off the board before we get a chance at them either way. 

It also wouldn't make sense unless Ridley is not coming back. However, if Ridley, Kirk and Jones are still on the team in 2024? And, you're carrying over Cooks who is apart of the team now as an undrafted pick-up and Washington, who will more than likely replace Agnew on return duties in 2024. 

It just seems overkill and a waste of early resources. I wouldn't mind a flyer on a guy on day three though. Somebody like Brenden Rice, Ricky Pearsall, Ladd McConkey or Xavier Weaver would be good pick-up's late if you absolutely think you need a 5th or 6th WR upgrade in the WR room. 

Anything short of getting three interior players (both sides of the line of scrimmage) or a versatility player that can swing outside and play inside immediately with our first three, four picks will be disappointing in my opinion. I think we need to see something like C, DT, G/OT or G, DT, DT/EDGE with our first few picks in next year's draft. Obviously free agency will also play a role in that. You can always sign maybe one guy that fits a need there but it's early.

I agree with what you wrote and my take on a WR early in the draft only applies if the Jaguars do not bring Ridley back. Up until the last two weeks I thought that would be a certainty and I believe the fact that they have to give up a 2nd rounder if they give him a contract extension will make this harder, but odds of retaining him have increased recently. I do not know the college WR that well, but it seems there are always guys in the later rounds that noone really thinks of right now that are doing very well. Easy to find one of those, right …..

People are down on WRs because it feels like you can get by with non-premium guys, but in reality all the good teams have at least one really good WR and among the best teams in the league our Nr. 1 receiver is one of the weakest of them all, second to the Ravens. Fair or not? I would love to see what a Hill, Diggs, Chase, Brown, Lamb would do for Trevor.