Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Early Mock Draft - 2024

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 05:00 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-12-2024, 03:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Shipley goes
CB - G - C
in his first 3 round mock
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/202...ent-baalke

Yeah. I commented on this mock of his on twitter. Not sure how I feel about it. I haven't really looked at this class defensively in terms of linebackers and secondary players because my attention has been squarely focused on the offensive line group and receivers at the moment. 

I only took a peak at some of the edge rushers in this class but really started delving into the interior rushers. I said that I loved the Zach Frazier selection in RD3. He's a good option. Wrestling background, from the highlights I have found on him, he has a tendency to actually use his leverage to his advantage and will finish plays better than most. 

I am reserving any more mocks until I see what this team decides to do in free agency and with any cuts made to the current roster. Realistically I think they have a solid shot at the following positions to add upgrades with the 17th overall selection:

1. RT - The chips should fall to where a guy like Latham, Mims or Fuaga are there. You would have to make a decision to move Harrison to LT after one year of good play at RT. 

2. WR - This could be Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman or Troy Franklin in my opinion. We do not have a viable, big man target on the outside. Any of these three could provide that in our current line-up, but, if I had to pick, it would be Thomas Jr., Franklin and Coleman in that order.

3. DE - This boils down to who the next DC will be on our staff and which base front they will predominately feature. But, for me, you can take your pick here. Latu, Turner, Verse, Robinson & Trice are all potentially around this part of the draft in my opinion.

I think we need to draft Fuaga,  the meanest and nastiest lineman in the draft, as well as a samoan.  Play him at RG this year and next year Cam is a FA and move Harrison to LT and Fuaga to RT

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-12-2024, 04:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 03:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. I commented on this mock of his on twitter. Not sure how I feel about it. I haven't really looked at this class defensively in terms of linebackers and secondary players because my attention has been squarely focused on the offensive line group and receivers at the moment. 

I only took a peak at some of the edge rushers in this class but really started delving into the interior rushers. I said that I loved the Zach Frazier selection in RD3. He's a good option. Wrestling background, from the highlights I have found on him, he has a tendency to actually use his leverage to his advantage and will finish plays better than most. 

I am reserving any more mocks until I see what this team decides to do in free agency and with any cuts made to the current roster. Realistically I think they have a solid shot at the following positions to add upgrades with the 17th overall selection:

1. RT - The chips should fall to where a guy like Latham, Mims or Fuaga are there. You would have to make a decision to move Harrison to LT after one year of good play at RT. 

2. WR - This could be Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman or Troy Franklin in my opinion. We do not have a viable, big man target on the outside. Any of these three could provide that in our current line-up, but, if I had to pick, it would be Thomas Jr., Franklin and Coleman in that order.

3. DE - This boils down to who the next DC will be on our staff and which base front they will predominately feature. But, for me, you can take your pick here. Latu, Turner, Verse, Robinson & Trice are all potentially around this part of the draft in my opinion.

I think we need to draft Fuaga,  the meanest and nastiest lineman in the draft, as well as a samoan.  Play him at RG this year and next year Cam is a FA and move Harrison to LT and Fuaga to RT

I can dig this. Dream scenario would be Fuaga and Powers-Johnson with our first two picks. Problem solved.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think we need to draft Fuaga,  the meanest and nastiest lineman in the draft, as well as a samoan.  Play him at RG this year and next year Cam is a FA and move Harrison to LT and Fuaga to RT

I can dig this. Dream scenario would be Fuaga and Powers-Johnson with our first two picks. Problem solved.
Ours, Etienne, and Trevor's dream 1st 2 picks

(01-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 04:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think we need to draft Fuaga,  the meanest and nastiest lineman in the draft, as well as a samoan.  Play him at RG this year and next year Cam is a FA and move Harrison to LT and Fuaga to RT

Fuaga is also my ideal pick in round 1 and I like the idea of playing him at right guard as a rookie. Cam Robinson's future with the team is uncertain, but even if they part ways they have Little and Harrison to start at the tackle spots. The team drafted Walker to eventually become a starting tackle and this will be his chance to show he is deserving. I also like Powers-Johnson as a possibility in round 2 as well as Sedrick Van Pran. Fortunately, the team will have the opportunity to see how these potential Fortner replacements look in Mobile and the combine. I also wouldn't rule out taking a receiver in round 2 if the Jaguars also let Ridley walk. This wide receiver class is extremely deep. In round 2, Xavier Leggett, Tez Walker, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin and Adonai Mitchell are all possibilities depending on whether they want pure speed ( Worthy, Franklin ) or bigger targets like Mitchell, Leggett and Walker. Any one of these 5 receivers has the potential to be a difference-maker and my guess is at least one will be available in round 2.

(01-12-2024, 05:49 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 05:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I can dig this. Dream scenario would be Fuaga and Powers-Johnson with our first two picks. Problem solved.

Fuaga is also my ideal pick in round 1 and I like the idea of playing him at right guard as a rookie. Cam Robinson's future with the team is uncertain, but even if they part ways they have Little and Harrison to start at the tackle spots. The team drafted Walker to eventually become a starting tackle and this will be his chance to show he is deserving. I also like Powers-Johnson as a possibility in round 2 as well as Sedrick Van Pran. Fortunately, the team will have the opportunity to see how these potential Fortner replacements look in Mobile and the combine. I also wouldn't rule out taking a receiver in round 2 if the Jaguars also let Ridley walk. This wide receiver class is extremely deep. In round 2, Xavier Leggett, Tez Walker, Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin and Adonai Mitchell are all possibilities depending on whether they want pure speed ( Worthy, Franklin ) or bigger targets like Mitchell, Leggett and Walker. Any one of these 5 receivers has the potential to be a difference-maker and my guess is at least one will be available in round 2.

In the 2nd or 3rd I like Leggett, Pearsall, Corley at WR  I'd like a bigger WR but I just want the best WR.  I don't care if he is 5'8" or 6'6".  I'm drafting the one I feel like like will be the best instead of going for size or speed, we just need a difference maker regardless.  In the 2nd Chris Jenkins, Sweat, Beebe, and Quinyon Mitchell are a few I'd really like.  Really wanted Beebe and Mitchell last year until they announced they were going back to school

Last week I was REALLY hoping we wouldn't be talking about the draft this week.  But if I've learned anything in 20+ years of following this team, it's how to deal with disappointment.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2024, 10:35 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

What if we could fix the oline in FA and try to fix the defense in the draft? Cut Sherff, Jenkins, and Fatukasi. Get Kevin Dotson and Biadasz in FA. In the draft go

1. Verse or Turner
2. Sweat
3. Sainristil

Of course find a way to keep Allen and Ridley with keeping our 2nd round pick

(01-13-2024, 10:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What if we could fix the oline in FA and try to fix the defense in the draft?  Cut Sherff, Jenkins, and Fatukasi.  Get Kevin Dotson and Biadasz in FA.  In the draft go

1. Verse or Turner
2. Sweat
3. Sainristil

Of course find a way to keep Allen and Ridley with keeping our 2nd round pick

This would work, for sure. Not sure if either pass rusher will be available, but this would enable the new defensive coordinator to move Walker to the defensive line, where he'd be able to thrive. Of course, we don't even know what type of scheme the new coordinator will use. Sweat is a high risk/high reward player. If he keeps his weight in check, imagine a defense with Walker, Sweat, Hamilton (if healthy) Allen and Turner/Verse. Regardless of the scheme, they'd be hard to contend with.

Sainristil would be a very good nickel and has amazing versatility. Definitely wouldn't hate that pick. 

Questions I'd have in this scenario are:

1. What are you doing with Cam Robinson? I'd let him walk to save a ton of money and go with Harrison and Little. While not 100% sold on Little at tackle, he has had times when he looked very good. If given the chance to focus solely on tackle (he and Harrison are capable of playing on both left and right side), I believe he will rise to the occasion. 

2. How can they keep Ridley and 2nd round pick? Just not sure in what world this will happen since Ridley is likely going to select the team offering the most money and I don't see that being the Jaguars. If they let him go, I'd have to fill that void with the best receiver who falls to round 2 ( Leggett, Walker, Franklin, Worthy, Corley, etc.) and "settle" for McKinley Jackson in round 3 with their compensatory pick. He's much less risky than Sweat with less upside, but he'd be a steal if they could get him in round 3 (I'd even trade up in the 3rd to secure him).

Traded back twice in the first:

JAX

Graham Barton
OG Duke
trade icon
JAX

Jackson Powers-Johnson
OC Oregon
JAX

Bralen Trice
EDGE Washington
trade icon
JAX

McKinnley Jackson
DT Texas A&M
JAX

Matt Goncalves
OT Pittsburgh
JAX

Jordan Whittington
WR Texas
2025 LAR 2nd

(01-13-2024, 04:31 PM)JJ23 Wrote: Traded back twice in the first:

JAX

Graham Barton
OG Duke
trade icon
JAX

Jackson Powers-Johnson
OC Oregon
JAX

Bralen Trice
EDGE Washington
trade icon
JAX

McKinnley Jackson
DT Texas A&M
JAX

Matt Goncalves
OT Pittsburgh
JAX

Jordan Whittington
WR Texas
2025 LAR 2nd
Nice additions for the offensive line. Barton and Powers-Johnson become immediate starters and Goncalves is a nice depth addition at OT. Trice and Jackson were steals and would immediately upgrade the defense.

(01-13-2024, 07:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 04:31 PM)JJ23 Wrote: Traded back twice in the first:

JAX

Graham Barton
OG Duke
trade icon
JAX

Jackson Powers-Johnson
OC Oregon
JAX

Bralen Trice
EDGE Washington
trade icon
JAX

McKinnley Jackson
DT Texas A&M
JAX

Matt Goncalves
OT Pittsburgh
JAX

Jordan Whittington
WR Texas
2025 LAR 2nd
Nice additions for the offensive line. Barton and Powers-Johnson become immediate starters and Goncalves is a nice depth addition at OT. Trice and Jackson were steals and would immediately upgrade the defense.

I'm not running a rookie center out there in front of Trevor next year. Spend the money on a vet and develop the draft pick for a year. Same with guard, get me a guy who is at least NFL average please, but I'd love Robert Hunt for 3 years.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-14-2024, 09:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 07:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Nice additions for the offensive line. Barton and Powers-Johnson become immediate starters and Goncalves is a nice depth addition at OT. Trice and Jackson were steals and would immediately upgrade the defense.

I'm not running a rookie center out there in front of Trevor next year. Spend the money on a vet and develop the draft pick for a year. Same with guard, get me a guy who is at least NFL average please, but I'd love Robert Hunt for 3 years.
You could probably get away with Barton and Powers-Johnson playing LG and RG as rookies while also having a viable swing tackle option and back up C to help out the new veteran we sign in March.

I am with you on that one. I think the biggest cap expense needs to be at Center in March for Lawrence's sake. Not a fan of relying on another rookie again.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

There isn't many FA centers I'd take over Powers Johnson. You can't let the failures of rookie Fortner at center scare you. Look what the Chiefs and Ravens done when they drafted their centers, day one starters and a huge reason they have great olines. If Powers Johnson tests well I would have zero worries about him being a day 1 starter.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 01:10 PM by Caldrac.)

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...5DcAg&s=19

I still like Brian Thomas Jr. there at 17. The more I think about it. The more I like it with Kirk and Ridley.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2024, 01:39 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

How would yall feel about Latham at 17 if he is there? I think he could be a All Pro type RG and can play RT if needed. We need some monsters on that oline and we would be a huge guard. He played RT at Alabama but he might be better at guard with his size and power. Not sure how he would do on the edges against the good speed pass rushers. I think the right side of the line would be set with Latham and Harrison if we want to keep Harrison at RT. Latham would be good value and a position of need at 17

(01-14-2024, 01:10 PM)Caldrac Wrote: https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...5DcAg&s=19

I still like Brian Thomas Jr. there at 17. The more I think about it. The more I like it with Kirk and Ridley.

I like Thomas but I dont think I would take him over Latham, Fuaga, Newton, Turner, or Verse. Gonna be a hard decision, we are going to have some studds to pick through

Using the Top #100 board and on the clock at #17:

Nate Wiggins, CB - Clemson
Jared Verse, Edge - FSU
Kool-Aid McKinstrey, CB - Bama
Brian Thomas, WR - LSU
Amarius Mims, OT - Georgia

Reaches: Braswell (Egde), Trice (Edge), Franklin (WR)

Who is the pick?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-15-2024, 09:59 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Using the Top #100 board and on the clock at #17:

Jared Verse, Edge - FSU
Brian Thomas, WR - LSU

Who is the pick?

Taking Thomas out of this group. With the hopes that Baalke and Pederson figured out at least one or two of their offensive line needs in March.

(01-15-2024, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 09:59 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Using the Top #100 board and on the clock at #17:

Jared Verse, Edge - FSU
Brian Thomas, WR - LSU

Who is the pick?

Taking Thomas out of this group. With the hopes that Baalke and Pederson figured out at least one or two of their offensive line needs in March.

I know there's some really good prospects at guard and center to get down in 3 and 4, so I'm good with a playmaker at either WR, Edge , or CB at 17. Tackles are pretty good projecting in Round 2 if we just need a right side guy, but I'd love a defensive lineman there.  I want to come out of this draft with an edge, 2 interior d linemen, and a safety on defense along with a couple guards and a center on offense. Plug in a tackle if it's right and a WR who is either the big body or the special teams replacment for Swagnew.

(01-15-2024, 10:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Taking Thomas out of this group. With the hopes that Baalke and Pederson figured out at least one or two of their offensive line needs in March.

I know there's some really good prospects at guard and center to get down in 3 and 4, so I'm good with a playmaker at either WR, Edge , or CB at 17. Tackles are pretty good projecting in Round 2 if we just need a right side guy, but I'd love a defensive lineman there.  I want to come out of this draft with an edge, 2 interior d linemen, and a safety on defense along with a couple guards and a center on offense. Plug in a tackle if it's right and a WR who is either the big body or the special teams replacment for Swagnew.

Agreed on a lot of this. EDGE would be a good option. 17 is also a hotbed for that position. For me it just boils down to who Doug hires as his next DC and what the base defense will be most of the time. Chop Robinson, Verse or Latu would be interesting additions to the front four. 

I think Washington will ultimately be Agnew's replacement on special team's.

Messing around with the PFF tool waiting for the games to start today. I like to run through these to find names I might not know who project in the area of our picks. Have a look and talk about some of these if you want.

[Image: 8d3hbp.jpg]