Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bengals Game

Quote:Yup, that explains it  <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-implements-huge-new-touchback-rule-admits-it-could-backfire/'>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-implements-huge-new-touchback-rule-admits-it-could-backfire/</a>

"Starting in 2016, any kickoff that results in a touchback will give the opposing team possession at the 25-yard line, instead of the 20. The new rule only applies to kickoffs, meaning a touchback after a turnover or a punt would still give the opposing team the ball at the 20-yard line."[/size]

So then I do not understand why move the kicker up 5 yards to eliminate returns then a few years later be penalized for the touchback seems like arsinine planning to me. Just move the kick back the original 5 yards. But hey I am just a stupid fan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Great summary; pretty much right on target. Per Dante Fowler, I would just ask; what was he doing the whole year he was sidelined? Was he banned from the film room? Sounds like the guy pretty much wasted what could have been a full year of valuable film study. And where were the coaches on this? Wasn't he quizzed as to his progress for what he was learning? In general, this team doesn't seem to learn well from their mistakes, or doesn't care to, or isn't PUSHED to by the coaching staff. Case in point: the seeming continuous problem with self-destructive penalties. No negative reinforcement, it's all upbeat and 'rah rah' and positive. Sorry guys, life isn't always that way; sometimes if takes a harsh negative to learn a valuable positive.

This is a good point. He did have a year to learn how to study film and to mature into a professional.

I'd be lying to say I know how it works during the regular season with a player that's on IR. Obviously he was doing rehab. From what I know, most of the developmental stuff has to occur during the offseason/preseason. During the season, the coaches are worried about the players they actually have on the roster. I'm not sure who is to blame for the lack of mental development of Fowler during his rehab time.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:This is a good point. He did have a year to learn how to study film and to mature into a professional.

I'd be lying to say I know how it works during the regular season with a player that's on IR. Obviously he was doing rehab. From what I know, most of the developmental stuff has to occur during the offseason/preseason. During the season, the coaches are worried about the players they actually have on the roster. I'm not sure who is to blame for the lack of mental development of Fowler during his rehab time.

He still should have been involved in every meeting with the DL and defense as a whole. He should have been watching the vets and seeing what they do and how they prepare.

I don't know if that was or wasn't the case but from a common sense perspective, that's what should have been happening. 

Quote:So then I do not understand why move the kicker up 5 yards to eliminate returns then a few years later be penalized for the touchback seems like arsinine planning to me. Just move the kick back the original 5 yards. But hey I am just a stupid fan.

I think the thought process was that the receiving team would be less likely to run a kick off back out of the endzone if the ball was spotted on the 25 rather than the 20.  Of course now, if the kicking team decides to kick short the rule become counter productive.