Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to Hire Nielsen (Merged Threads)

(01-14-2024, 11:01 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 10:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's just 1 of many mistakes.  What about the drafting, what about the interior dline, what about the pass rush behind Allen and Walker, what about the play calling?  They just fired Caldwell.  Why fire Caldwell?  I agree with the firing but maybe he just made a few bad calls and doesn't have the talent on the interior dline. Caldwell just mad a few mistakes on play calling that's all so why fire him?  If we would of kept the DC you would have thought it's the right decision, if we fire him you think it's the right decision lol

I don’t think it was just defensive performance down the stretch. You add in the comment from Wingard about guys “not playing assignment football all year” and it sounds like he was allowing guys to get away with playing undisciplined.  That would solely be his responsibility to fix, if we’re taking Wingard’s comments at face value.

The same things was happening with the offense.  Running the wrong routes missing blocking assignments etc.  That would solely be on Press then right?  It's the same thing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2024, 11:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 11:01 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don’t think it was just defensive performance down the stretch. You add in the comment from Wingard about guys “not playing assignment football all year” and it sounds like he was allowing guys to get away with playing undisciplined.  That would solely be his responsibility to fix, if we’re taking Wingard’s comments at face value.

The same things was happening with the offense.  Running the wrong routes missing blocking assignments etc.  That would solely be on Press then right?  It's the same thing.

Would you agree there’s a difference between making mistakes and freelancing?

(01-14-2024, 11:01 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don’t think it was just defensive performance down the stretch. You add in the comment from Wingard about guys “not playing assignment football all year” and it sounds like he was allowing guys to get away with playing undisciplined.  That would solely be his responsibility to fix, if we’re taking Wingard’s comments at face value.

You're saying, if the offense didn't do very well, and the defense didn't do very well, then why did he fire the DC and not the OC?  

Perhaps it's because he thinks there were different reasons why those units didn't perform as well as they should have.

two things:

The implication on defense is that players were freelancing outside of their assignment -
Conversely on offense - guys were making mistakes on routes and communication - while doing so with a hurried QB behind a craptastic OL 

It also could be that Pederson - over the course of the past two seasons - has become disenfranchised with the coverage schemes Caldwell had settled into and is seeking a philosophical change 

It would appear that the brass feels confident that many of the issues on defense had more to do with adequate talent not receiving the best coaching -  while offense likely had more to do with a playbook being woefully limited by a dysfunctional line - the fact that many analytics support the offense's overall good efficiency help as well. 

A defense that fell apart in the latter half of the season in multiple metrics is with minimal injury changes is going to register some changes when they drop games to multiple backup QBs and miss double digit tackles in multiple games. 

Maybe Caldwell and his assistants are just scapegoats, but I think it is more likely Doug has a vision for exactly what he wants to change regarding player gap discipline and coverage schemes.

(01-14-2024, 02:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 11:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The same things was happening with the offense.  Running the wrong routes missing blocking assignments etc.  That would solely be on Press then right?  It's the same thing.

two things:

The implication on defense is that players were freelancing outside of their assignment -
Conversely on offense - guys were making mistakes on routes and communication - while doing so with a hurried QB behind a craptastic OL 

It also could be that Pederson - over the course of the past two seasons - has become disenfranchised with the coverage schemes Caldwell had settled into and is seeking a philosophical change 

It would appear that the brass feels confident that many of the issues on defense had more to do with adequate talent not receiving the best coaching -  while offense likely had more to do with a playbook being woefully limited by a dysfunctional line - the fact that many analytics support the offense's overall good efficiency help as well. 

A defense that fell apart in the latter half of the season in multiple metrics is with minimal injury changes is going to register some changes when they drop games to multiple backup QBs and miss double digit tackles in multiple games. 

Maybe Caldwell and his assistants are just scapegoats, but I think it is more likely Doug has a vision for exactly what he wants to change regarding player gap discipline and coverage schemes.
Yeah, all we can do is speculate the real reason.  Injuries hurt the defense just as much as the offense imo.  Our best lineman got hurt before the season even started, Campbell, Cisco, and Campbell  got hurt and was a big reason the defense fell off at the end of the season, thats 3/4 of our secondary and Campbell was never the same after the injury like Hamilton.  Lloyd also was also injured and missed games after he was playing some of the best ball of his career and then came back with a cast.   Josh Allen did have a career year, Travon had double digit sacks in his 2nd year, Darius Williams had a career year, Foye was great pretty much until the last game of the season, and our 5th round pick was developing which is rare. 

Im glad Caldwell got fired but the biggest reason for our poor defense was injuries and Baalke doing nothing with the interior on the dline and having nothing behind Walker and Allen.   Last year he had a healthy Smoot and Key and Baalke did nothing but make the defense worse, being we lost both of those.  We had multiple opportunities to fix some of the issues and he did nothing.  Once again like the interior, everyone seen it except him. The biggest issues on defense were the same as the offense, injuries and talent.

(01-14-2024, 09:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 08:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jags staff also think Fortner is s good Center and they thought Bartch was a good guard.  You have to question what this staff and front office thinks, there is a good chance it's not accurate

You really do believe the stripper likes you, don't you.

She does! She said I'm her favorite and even gave me a discount after I tipped an extra $100! Plus she called me sexy. She doesn't just do that for EVERYONE
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-15-2024, 02:24 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 09:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You really do believe the stripper likes you, don't you.

She does! She said I'm her favorite and even gave me a discount after I tipped an extra $100! Plus she called me sexy. She doesn't just do that for EVERYONE

Is her name Bubbles, by chance?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-15-2024, 02:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 02:24 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: She does! She said I'm her favorite and even gave me a discount after I tipped an extra $100! Plus she called me sexy. She doesn't just do that for EVERYONE

She said she only let's me call her that.....
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-15-2024, 02:33 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 02:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Is her name Bubbles, by chance?

She said she only let's me call her that.....

Yeah. It's either Bubbles or Buttercup. Depends on the day of the week and wig I guess.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-14-2024, 11:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 11:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The same things was happening with the offense.  Running the wrong routes missing blocking assignments etc.  That would solely be on Press then right?  It's the same thing.

You're saying, if the offense didn't do very well, and the defense didn't do very well, then why did he fire the DC and not the OC?  

Perhaps it's because he thinks there were different reasons why those units didn't perform as well as they should have.

The offense was in the top 15, the defense fell to the bottom third. They are only comperable in that both did not achieve expectations, one was far worse than the other.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This no news is killing me

(01-15-2024, 03:57 PM)MojoKing Wrote: This no news is killing me

The guy might be on staff with a playoff team still, it could be a few more weeks yet.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I just heard on 1010 that Wink Martindale will be interviewed Tuesday and Wednesday. After that, they will interview Titans D coordinator Shane Bowen.

(01-15-2024, 03:57 PM)MojoKing Wrote: This no news is killing me
Pederson really likes Leslie Frazier and he is making HC rounds. They also really like Ejiro who is interviewing for HC jobs and is still being blocked by the Panthers.

(01-14-2024, 02:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: two things:

I agree with this. There were a lot of people, including some local sports media, that blame press and the offense and believe the defensive staff was just scapegoated. But I think its pretty easy to make Doug's argument.  The offense was fairly consistent all year. Was always slightly above average and could put up points when things went well.  But they never fired on all cylinders at any point in the season due to the weakness along the oline. Struggled when they played a physical dline and moreso late in the season when injuries added up. Fix the oline with better talent and this could easily have been a top 10 offense.

The defense on the otherhand played well early but fell off in the 2nd half of the season and over the last 6 weeks were arguably the worst unit in the league. There were guys knicked up but no serious injuries with key players out. More a product of missed tackles and missed assignments.

(01-15-2024, 02:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 02:24 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: She does! She said I'm her favorite and even gave me a discount after I tipped an extra $100! Plus she called me sexy. She doesn't just do that for EVERYONE

LOL!!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2024, 10:37 PM by Caldrac.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2IuFZ2umY7/...JrdzNyODFh

"You're gonna cost us this game just like the Jets game".

Daboll is hilarious.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Word is we are looking at bringing in Matt Patricia for DC

just keeeeding

(01-16-2024, 12:49 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Word is we are looking at bringing in Matt Patricia for DC

just keeeeding

Bill Belichick doesn’t like them type of jokes.