Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 Needs

(01-16-2024, 03:37 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 03:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He did a lot more with his legs in college than he's been asked to do in the NFL. A lot more stuff under center at times. It's impossible to argue with people that are hellbent on Sunshine being public enemy #1 in Jacksonville. 

You don't have to be an armchair QB, scout or general manager to see that he has talent while being sandbagged by an offense that's void of talent. It's just a moot point for me now. 

Again, doesn't matter if we're talking about all-time great QB's or football teams in general. Lawrence cannot and will not push this team further than being a sub average .500 football team until the talent around him improves. Period.

This is no different than what happened with Tom Brady in New England with the defenses, running game and skill position players Belichick managed to find for him. It's no different than the talent he went for in Tampa Bay to pick-up right where he left off. Brady had enough sense to leave New England because the talent was void around him. 

It's not all that hard to see really for me personally. He's a third year QB that just finished with his third straight different OC with a below average offensive line and a receiving core that is below average in creating separation and there's really no viable deep threat that scares you.

This team was talented enough to keep pace with the middle of the pack or below middle of the pack football teams and they were not good enough with a depleted WR room, a banged up QB and horrible defense to keep pace with the top five to ten teams in the NFL. With really, really [BLEEP] up and odd outlier being that they managed to beat the #2, #4 and #7 seeds along the way.

The only reason anybody thinks I dislike Trevor Lawrence is because i'm constantly forced to defend my takes. 

Instead, again.. I'm still being told I had a bad take for pointing out his flaws in college before he got here..

The same flaws that NYC and the others like to blame on everything aside from the guy doing it.

It's because you're dogmatic with dog [BLEEP] takes and have an even more dogmatic approach in accepting that you're unwilling to see the forest for the trees. 

He has flaws. Virtually every player does. That's why it's a game of match-up's, exploits and sometimes just straight up "My guy is better than your guy". 

The problem most of us have is that, somehow, Lawrence's flaws are amplified and made out to be the tip of the spearpoint and root cause of all this team's problems. 

When, in reality, he's probably towards the very bottom of the list in regards to flaws while there's more evidence to support that is truly the case in point that the majority are saying and seeing on a weekly basis. 

It's not just fans on here or nationally. You now have some reasonable analysts stating it plainly. Agree to disagree. It's all good.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 04:30 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(01-16-2024, 03:41 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: High picks and FA targets should be OLine and DLine only. Pick up more journeyman receivers like Zay and MJJ and Kirk or draft second/third day.

I disagree, I think we should absolutely put all our focus on the OL in free agency, but I think we need a difference maker on offense with the 17th pick.

BUT

If we do next to nothing in free agency, then yeah first 4 rounds should be OL lol.

(01-16-2024, 03:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 03:37 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The only reason anybody thinks I dislike Trevor Lawrence is because i'm constantly forced to defend my takes. 

Instead, again.. I'm still being told I had a bad take for pointing out his flaws in college before he got here..

The same flaws that NYC and the others like to blame on everything aside from the guy doing it.

It's because you're dogmatic with dog [BLEEP] takes and have an even more dogmatic approach in accepting that you're unwilling to see the forest for the trees. 

He has flaws. Virtually every player does. That's why it's a game of match-up's, exploits and sometimes just straight up "My guy is better than your guy". 

The problem most of us have is that, somehow, Lawrence's flaws are amplified and made out to be the tip of the spearpoint and root cause of all this team's problems. 

When, in reality, he's probably towards the very bottom of the list in regards to flaws while there's more evidence to support that is truly the case in point that the majority are saying and seeing on a weekly basis. 

It's not just fans on here or nationally. You now have some reasonable analysts stating it plainly. Agree to disagree. It's all good.

Now if people would have admitted that, rather than attacking me when that's all I ever suggested when this entire little message board conflict happened, I wouldn't still be talking about it.

(01-16-2024, 04:28 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 03:41 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: High picks and FA targets should be OLine and DLine only. Pick up more journeyman receivers like Zay and MJJ and Kirk or draft second/third day.

I disagree, I think we should absolutely put all our focus on the OL in free agency, but I think we need a difference maker on offense with the 17th pick.

BUT

If we do next to nothing in free agency, then yeah first 4 rounds should be OL lol.

I don't think we can roll out a rookie center next year, we need an established guy with a draft pick to groom. I really like Jon Feliciano from the 49rs, he's the right age and played really good ball this season. Draft should have at least 1 tackle, 2 guards, and 2 DTs along with a WR, Edge, and safety IMO. We need to stock those bodies on the cheap for next offseason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-16-2024, 04:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 04:28 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I disagree, I think we should absolutely put all our focus on the OL in free agency, but I think we need a difference maker on offense with the 17th pick.

BUT

I don't think we can roll out a rookie center next year, we need an established guy with a draft pick to groom. I really like Jon Feliciano from the 49rs, he's the right age and played really good ball this season. Draft should have at least 1 tackle, 2 guards, and 2 DTs along with a WR, Edge, and safety IMO. We need to stock those bodies on the cheap for next offseason.

This is where Baalke earns his paycheck. Some of these needs you listed above should technically be on the roster already based on some of his decisions he made in last year's draft. 

Abdullah & Lacy along the defensive line. 
Hallett & Johnson along the secondary at safety. 
Washington at receiver along with Cooks who went undrafted. 

I am in agreement though with getting starters earlier in March for the offensive line. Especially at Center. I have us going after mostly offensive lineman, defensive lineman and receivers in tandems via the draft. I know they won't hit on all of those choices I made but if you double down you tend to at least double your odds in having success at that position. 

RB, TE & LB should be off the board completely in my opinion. Unless you think you're staring at the next Barry Sanders, Rob Gronkowski or Ray Lewis, it shouldn't be on our radar. And, if Baalke drafts ANYBODY at these positions, if the first thing that doesn't come out of his mouth answer wise that says "We really think this guy is the next hall of fame player at this position". 

He needs to be clowned by the media and fans all the way back to the carnival of hell where he came from.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-16-2024, 04:28 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

BUT

(01-16-2024, 03:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: It's because you're dogmatic with dog [BLEEP] takes and have an even more dogmatic approach in accepting that you're unwilling to see the forest for the trees. 

Now if people would have admitted that, rather than attacking me when that's all I ever suggested when this entire little message board conflict happened, I wouldn't still be talking about it.

Oh bull [BLEEP].  Show me one person that said he was perfect.  The problem with you is that you prefer to focus on and amplify any negatives.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Zay hasn't been very good. He gets a lot of love on this board amd I don't know why. I think WR in the first is definitely the move.

(01-16-2024, 04:54 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Zay hasn't been very good. He gets a lot of love on this board amd I don't know why. I think WR in the first is definitely the move.

He had his moments in 2022. 2023 was riddled with injuries for him. It's ultimately what set him back. I don't think he's a bad receiver, but, he's not a guy that transcends or moves the needle in a big way at the position. 

I think receiver is also in play. They might go one of two routes though, knowing Baalke's history with drafting receivers Vs. finding them in the market. He has a higher rate of success with the latter. 

This is why it's not out of the realm of possibility that he either lets Ridley go in favor of signing Tee Higgins in the event the Bengals decide to bungle his future there, or, he signs Ridley and drafts a receiver, just not in RD1. That's not his MO and I would be hard pressed to think he changes that now in 2024. 

I could see him going after a lineman on either side of the football in RD1 and RD2 and then he starts to "entertain" the idea of drafting a receiver in RD3. Unless there's a stud LB or RB there instead. Then you can forget it. We're running a two back set offense in 2024 and beyond.

To hell with Pederson's and Taylor's east and west offensive philosophy in the passing game.

Zay was the only wr on the roster that could scare teams down the field. His absence was noticeable. But even then he isn't a true burner. We just don't have that.

With that said interior oline trumps everything. WRs will look noticeably better with better line play. Same way DBs look better when there is a pass rush.

(01-16-2024, 04:54 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Zay hasn't been very good. He gets a lot of love on this board amd I don't know why. I think WR in the first is definitely the move.

Zay is an above average #3 receiver if your numbers one and two play X and Y.

make a healthy Zay your #3 in the Z position with Kirk in the Y and Rid or someone else effective at X and he'll thrive. 

He scored 5 TDs and 834 yards playing out of position at the X for us in 2022. He'd be even better in the Z if you can find Trevor .25 more seconds more protection and let the play action playbook get fully cracked open.

Whether they move on from his salary this year or not - he's a talented receiver that can be a good #3 for many teams in the league.

He was injured pretty much all year. He even said himself that this season was the most injured and hurting hes ever been playing football. The injuries really hampered him this year.