Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Conference Championship games

(01-28-2024, 06:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 06:49 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Every team and fanbase thinks they get screwed by refs. 

Refs are just inconsistently inconsistent especially since the NFL doesn't make them full time positions with enough training, don't have enough of them on field at once, and doesn't give them the full resources with video assistance that they should.

Given how few games there are, and how the best teams play in more them, there will definitely feel like there are trends. But the sample sizes are way small to attribute any real bias in these situations.
Look up Warren Sharp's article. It's grossly imbalanced. Percentages back it up.

With that said? I think more than half the calls were fair today against Baltimore.

Flower's fumble and Jackson's INT are the ultimate cause for this loss today unless they pull off a miracle.

Lamar has also used very little of his God given speed today and it's baffling with a Superbowl appearance on the line.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I still don't consider 49 games a large sample size especially when considering trends. You could say it's my bias working in medical research but that is my bias then.

Also I found this https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3...3eeba1c397.

Now, I have no way to verify Sharp's analysis or this random reddit posters's analysis to know who is correct. A better way to assess how abnormal this referee's outcomes are would be to see how different the spread is compared to outcomes for every referee and see if the difference for Shawn Smith is dramatically different for that difference compared to all referees. Also you would need to look to make there some true gaussian curve for the differences of those referees. Because with only 20-30 head referees, you can easily end up with a graph that is positively/negative skewed or has two peaks suggesting there is/are other variables at play. 

Plus is using the spread truly an accurate way to judge these things? It doesn't tell me if he is looking at opening spreads which is based purely on Vegas info, or after people have bet it up or down. Also spreads are intended to take into account how fans/betters "feel about the teams" in order for Vegas to make money no matter who wins, not an attempt to completely fairly break down the match up.

It would be in the NFL's best interest to address why this is happening, but I seriously doubt there is some underlying bias that this referee has for home teams because I don't know he wants to show up the home fans or something?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I get everyone getting tired of KC in the SB but dang, Mahomes is money.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

What were you doing the last time the Lions were in the playoffs? In 1991 I was a year out from graduating high school and a year before going to boot camp. I guess you would call it my gap year. It was either so uneventful I don't remember it or it was super eventful and I still don't remember it. Lol.

I'm hoping Detroit wins because this fans freaking deserve it. As Jags fans we know the pain of years of craptastic seasons so I'm hoping for a Lions win. Realistically? Hmmm. Against a SF team that shows up tonight I don't see anyone beating them. But I just don't know.

That being said, I want a good game with no injuries and minimal referee interference.

(01-28-2024, 07:21 PM)copycat Wrote: I get everyone getting tired of KC in the SB but dang, Mahomes is money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Man Lamar played really damn bad he'll hear it all offseason.
No Fun

(01-28-2024, 07:21 PM)copycat Wrote: I get everyone getting tired of KC in the SB but dang, Mahomes is money.

I think it's also the fact that we sat through the Brady years and were finally done with it and were stuck watching the cycle all over again with Mahomes.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Although I'm not as excited seeing the Chiefs in the Super Bowl again. It's more that I have to watch the Eras Tour continue throughout Super Bowl coverage.

(01-28-2024, 07:39 PM)Jagulars Wrote: Although I'm not as excited seeing the Chiefs in the Super Bowl again. It's more that I have to watch the Eras Tour continue throughout Super Bowl coverage.

So you saying she will perform at halftime as a guest star?

Not looking forward to the Taylor Swift Superbowl
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Wow what a statt

(01-28-2024, 07:41 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 07:39 PM)Jagulars Wrote: Although I'm not as excited seeing the Chiefs in the Super Bowl again. It's more that I have to watch the Eras Tour continue throughout Super Bowl coverage.

So you saying she will perform at halftime as a guest star?

They would love that for sure.

The announcers keep talking up Hutchinson?!

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM by Jaguar Warrior. Edited 1 time in total.)

So much for the Mahomes can't win on the road meme. Another KC ring incoming.

Lions O-line is really getting after it.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Damn. Lions coming out hot. Perfect 1st Q for them so far.

Detroit bring home the bacon so far.

Lets go Lions. Great start

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2024, 08:12 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-28-2024, 07:33 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: What were you doing the last time the Lions were in the playoffs? In 1991 I was a year out from graduating high school and a year before going to boot camp. I guess you would call it my gap year. It was either so uneventful I don't remember it or it was super eventful and I still don't remember it. Lol.

I'm hoping Detroit wins because this fans freaking deserve it. As Jags fans we know the pain of years of craptastic seasons so I'm hoping for a Lions win. Realistically? Hmmm. Against a SF team that shows up tonight I don't see anyone beating them. But I just don't know.

That being said, I want a good game with no injuries and minimal referee interference.

Here in Jax with two young daughters trying to live the American Dream. Go Lions! Avenge us for SF and KC losses!
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Looks like a lot of fun at Ford Field...

I wish this damn team would pull it's head out of it's own [BLEEP]..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

How did the Lions get so good?