Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Lamar the new Peyton?

(01-31-2024, 02:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamar is Mike Vick.

I do understand the Payton analogy based on regular season wins and playoff losses but Lamar would need to start winning playoff games and SBs from this point forward to be considered Payton, ONLY BASED ON WINS AND LOSSES.

Regarding performance, Payton had passing touch to which Lamar only does when someone is wide open, and even then sometimes fails to deliver.  I'm going to say that within the next 2 years when Lamar continues to slow down, he'll even get worse since hist run threat is really what propels his passing game.

(01-31-2024, 10:41 AM)nhiverson Wrote: It's going to be tough going forward this was Ravens year if they could and Lamar choked he missed so many damn throws. Burrow and Lawrence being healthy next year and CJ Stroud up and coming maybe Steelers get qb, Herbert has a coach AFC is not going to be easy. They missed their chance.

Funny how the above looks tough enough without mentioning Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rogers and the Jets D, Cleveland getting D. Watson back, Tua still being a threat.....

The comparison was not necesarily to style, but more that his stats become quite pedestrian when the games matter.

Peyton took years to finally get to a SB, and over his career had nine one and done runs. Even in his first SB run, 3TD 7INT and 6 sacks in 4 games. In the regular season, led the league in TDs (31) against only 9 INT and 14 sacks. Lamar's trajectory seems similar - racks up the stats throughout the year, but once the pressure is on, the success disappears.

It will be interesting to see if he gets beyond that. I think Randall Cunnigham would be another fair comparison - early on he thrived due to the dual threat of run and throw, but as he aged he developed into just as serious a threat without as much reliance on his legs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2024, 02:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lamar is Mike Vick.

I do understand the Payton analogy based on regular season wins and playoff losses but Lamar would need to start winning playoff games and SBs from this point forward to be considered Payton, ONLY BASED ON WINS AND LOSSES.

Regarding performance, Payton had passing touch to which Lamar only does when someone is wide open, and even then sometimes fails to deliver.  I'm going to say that within the next 2 years when Lamar continues to slow down, he'll even get worse since hist run threat is really what propels his passing game.

(01-31-2024, 10:41 AM)nhiverson Wrote: It's going to be tough going forward this was Ravens year if they could and Lamar choked he missed so many damn throws. Burrow and Lawrence being healthy next year and CJ Stroud up and coming maybe Steelers get qb, Herbert has a coach AFC is not going to be easy. They missed their chance.

Funny how the above looks tough enough without mentioning Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rogers and the Jets D, Cleveland getting D. Watson back, Tua still being a threat.....

AFC is loaded

I feel Tua falls into the same spot as Lamar seems to shrink in big moments.
No Fun

Keep seeing a lot of salty Ravens fans making their rounds still on social media. Blaming Todd Monken for not running the football enough. Look, three turnovers in a close game will kill any team. Especially when you're giving the Chiefs, Mahomes, Kelce and two coaches that are Superbowl proven as play callers.

Flowers fumbling that football while trying to score and Jackson throwing up a YOLO ball into triple coverage is inexcusable. That has nothing to do with the play caller. I also saw plenty of opportunities in that game for Jackson to use his legs and gash the hell out of that defense if he wanted. 7 carriers for 47 yards in the biggest game of his career is really the most baffling number out of that entire game.

I saw at least three plays where he was well outside the pocket and had easily, 10 - 15 yards of green to take and pick-up with his legs. I just don't get it with him. He's really starting to show that he just doesn't have that killer gene in his DNA in the biggest games. It's just not there for him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-01-2024, 02:28 PM)nhiverson Wrote: AFC is loaded

I feel Tua falls into the same spot as Lamar seems to shrink in big moments.

Remember how Fouts and Air Coryell never did anything in the postseason? That.

Mind you, a lot more domes in today's league, but teams built solely for speed and finesse are gonna have problems in wind and snow and mud.