Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
$20 minimum wage for burger flippers???? We'll just lay people off........

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 08:56 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-27-2024, 08:42 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote: It doesn't appear that either of you have any firsthand experience with rental properties.  First of all, it's important to distinguish between residential and non-residential units, before drawing any conclusions.  

There are such things as contracts and a landlord cannot legally increase the rent "the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money".  Also, not all landlords are focused on squeezing the last possible dollar out of a rental.  The generalization is simply not accurate.  Many prefer sacrificing somewhat for the advantages of stable, long-term tenants, who are far less trouble.  

Yes, there is a housing shortage just about everywhere across the country, but that is completely a factor of quantity, not price, and it will be years before supply catches up with demand.

Yes, particular landlords may perceive their self interest a little differently.  But in the aggregate, if you need something, and there's a shortage of it, and I have some, I can charge whatever you're able to pay, which will typically be a hefty profit for me.  Again this stuff dates back to Adam Smith and David Ricardo. 

As for timing, every month rental contracts expire, need to be renewed, new households form, etc.  Every month.  Price increases happen on the margin for the new market entrants.  Just because your tenants are in long term deals and you can't immediately take advantage doesn't mean there aren't renters out there paying the new higher rates.

There is this little concept called fair market value Uncle Sam asks you about every year when doing your taxes. You can't charge what you want. 

Besides, UBI would be in the arena of HUD section 8 housing that comes with a multitude of its own restrictions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 09:07 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

My good friend owns a few popular restaurants in Ocean City MD and told me they raised the min wage to $15/hour which has cut into his margins substantially.  Coupled that with bartenders and waitresses making $8/hour + significant tips, they are killing it right now in the resort town.

.... $20 is excessive unless one is in SF, LA, or SD so I think min wage should be applied regionally to make it more fair to business owners. 

Another note:  As many of us contemplate retirement soon or are already there, I honestly thought once I walked away from Corp America I wouldn't go back, however, if there is ever a need for some play $$ and I have time on my hands, perhaps you all will see me being a Greeter & cart retriever at Walmart @ $20/hr from noon-5pm making $100/day for 3 months out of the year.  Seems like a good way to get out and socialize, while also making $$ without having to stress out negotiating contracts and disputing delays as I currently do....

(03-27-2024, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: That's not exactly how it works.  The landlord doesn't have to hear the tenant has more money.  He just has to know there is someone out there who will pay more for the space.  He finds that out by looking at the rent on other properties.

It doesn't appear that either of you have any firsthand experience with rental properties.  <<Wrong

First of all, it's important to distinguish between residential and non-residential units, before drawing any conclusions.  

There are such things as contracts and a landlord cannot legally increase the rent "the moment the landlord hears the tenant has more money".  Also, not all landlords are focused on squeezing the last possible dollar out of a rental.  The generalization is simply not accurate.  Many prefer sacrificing somewhat for the advantages of stable, long-term tenants, who are far less trouble.  

Yes, there is a housing shortage just about everywhere across the country, but that is completely a factor of quantity, not price, and it will be years before supply catches up with demand.

Your first sentence is incorrect.  

The rest of it is correct.  But I don't understand how you are disagreeing with me.

(03-27-2024, 09:06 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: My good friend owns a few popular restaurants in Ocean City MD and told me they raised the min wage to $15/hour which has cut into his margins substantially.  Coupled that with bartenders and waitresses making $8/hour + significant tips, they are killing it right now in the resort town.

.... $20 is excessive unless one is in SF, LA, or SD so I think min wage should be applied regionally to make it more fair to business owners. 

Another note:  As many of us contemplate retirement soon or are already there, I honestly thought once I walked away from Corp America I wouldn't go back, however, if there is ever a need for some play $$ and I have time on my hands, perhaps you all will see me being a Greeter & cart retriever at Walmart @ $20/hr from noon-5pm making $100/day for 3 months out of the year.  Seems like a good way to get out and socialize, while also making $$ without having to stress out negotiating contracts and disputing delays as I currently do....

Social Security will be gone by then too, and the jobs you mention will be replaced by automation. You will beg for your UBI and be grateful to get it!

(03-27-2024, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 08:42 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes, particular landlords may perceive their self interest a little differently.  But in the aggregate, if you need something, and there's a shortage of it, and I have some, I can charge whatever you're able to pay, which will typically be a hefty profit for me.  Again this stuff dates back to Adam Smith and David Ricardo. 

As for timing, every month rental contracts expire, need to be renewed, new households form, etc.  Every month.  Price increases happen on the margin for the new market entrants.  Just because your tenants are in long term deals and you can't immediately take advantage doesn't mean there aren't renters out there paying the new higher rates.

There is this little concept called fair market value Uncle Sam asks you about every year when doing your taxes. You can't charge what you want. 

Besides, UBI would be in the arena of HUD section 8 housing that comes with a multitude of its own restrictions.

I don't know what you are talking about there.  Of course I can charge whatever I want.

(03-27-2024, 09:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 08:10 AM)Sneakers Wrote: It doesn't appear that either of you have any firsthand experience with rental properties.  <<Wrong

First of all, it's important to distinguish between residential and non-residential units, before drawing any conclusions.  

Your first sentence is incorrect.  

The rest of it is correct.  But I don't understand how you are disagreeing with me.

It's nearly impossible to be both liberal and a residential landlord.

(03-27-2024, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 08:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There is this little concept called fair market value Uncle Sam asks you about every year when doing your taxes. You can't charge what you want. 

I don't know what you are talking about there.  Of course I can charge whatever I want.

And then never get renters.

That's all fair market means SC1. If one guy charges too much he gets undercut and destroyed

(03-27-2024, 09:28 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't know what you are talking about there.  Of course I can charge whatever I want.

And then never get renters.

That's all fair market means SC1. If one guy charges too much he gets undercut and destroyed

But what does Uncle Sam have to do with it?  That was my question.  Uncle Sam doesn't control what I charge my tenants.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 10:09 AM by snarkyguy_he_him_his. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-27-2024, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:28 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: And then never get renters.

But what does Uncle Sam have to do with it?  That was my question.  Uncle Sam doesn't control what I charge my tenants.

I'm agreeing with you.

Fair market just means someone can beat you with lower rates or better accommodations.

The government doesn't and shouldn't enter into the equation

(03-27-2024, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Your first sentence is incorrect.  

It's nearly impossible to be both liberal and a residential landlord.

I think being a landlord demands that you be classically liberal, with regard to property rights, contract law, and similar topics, at least.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-27-2024, 10:09 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It's nearly impossible to be both liberal and a residential landlord.

I think being a landlord demands that you be classically liberal, with regard to property rights, contract law, and similar topics, at least.

StroudCrowd1 is correct in the sense that a lot of "progressive" policies like rent control, tenant's rights, and higher taxes, tend to alienate landlords.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 10:22 AM by snarkyguy_he_him_his. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-27-2024, 10:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:09 AM)mikesez Wrote: I think being a landlord demands that you be classically liberal, with regard to property rights, contract law, and similar topics, at least.

StroudCrowd1 is correct in the sense that a lot of "progressive" policies like rent control, tenant's rights, and higher taxes, tend to alienate landlords.

The actual owners of property.

But I think a distinction should be made from apartment complexes and home owners renting property.

First off, complexes make at a minimum hundreds of thousands per month. Yet they have no oversight on how they maintain properties.

I feel like one or two property landlords are being screwed (owners that have one or two houses they rent) because they have so much oversight yet apartments which have thousands of tenants get none.

I hit the drive through yesterday. $13.97 for a QPC meal medium sized at the McD's on Emerson. There's no shortage of QPCs, how on earff could we see such a spike from the $7 it was just 24 months ago?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-27-2024, 10:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I hit the drive through yesterday. $13.97 for a QPC meal medium sized at the McD's on Emerson. There's no shortage of QPCs, how on earff could we see such a spike from the $7 it was just 24 months ago?

Liberal policies

I've so grown to hate fast food.. I ain't payin all that money to be poisoned..

Maybe that's my whole problem.. Haven't had a grease burger or a soda in over a year now haha

McPoison

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-27-2024, 10:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I've so grown to hate fast food.. I ain't payin all that money to be poisoned..

Maybe that's my whole problem.. Haven't had a grease burger or a soda in over a year now haha

McPoison

Yep, and you can go to Publix and get a pound of high quality grass fed ground beef for less than $10/pound

(03-27-2024, 10:20 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: StroudCrowd1 is correct in the sense that a lot of "progressive" policies like rent control, tenant's rights, and higher taxes, tend to alienate landlords.

The actual owners of property.

But I think a distinction should be made from apartment complexes and home owners renting property.

First off, complexes make at a minimum hundreds of thousands per month. Yet they have no oversight on how they maintain properties.

I feel like one or two property landlords are being screwed (owners that have one or two houses they rent) because they have so much oversight yet apartments which have thousands of tenants get none.

Bro apartment complexes definitely get oversight.
We don't have rent control in Florida but we do have tenants rights laws and tenants of all types of homes know how to use them.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 10:34 AM by snarkyguy_he_him_his. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-27-2024, 10:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I've so grown to hate fast food.. I ain't payin all that money to be poisoned..

McPoison

Culvers is tasty. Just saying lol

(03-27-2024, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:20 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: The actual owners of property.

Bro apartment complexes definitely get oversight.
We don't have rent control in Florida but we do have tenants rights laws and tenants of all types of homes know how to use them.

Uh huh. When was the last time you lived in an apartment in Florida. It's sad you think politicians care. I guess it's more cute than sad?

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 10:34 AM by mikesez.)

(03-27-2024, 10:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:09 AM)mikesez Wrote: I think being a landlord demands that you be classically liberal, with regard to property rights, contract law, and similar topics, at least.

Agreed.  Some of those gripes are legit and some are not, but yes landlords do have them.

(03-27-2024, 10:32 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:

McPoison

Culvers is tasty. Just saying lol

(03-27-2024, 10:31 AM)mikesez Wrote: Bro apartment complexes definitely get oversight.

Uh huh. When was the last time you lived in an apartment in Florida.

I talk to people.  I know people who manage complexes and people who rent.  Just because I didn't experience it personally doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Do you want me to start listing our state statutes on tenant rights?

(03-27-2024, 10:33 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: StroudCrowd1 is correct in the sense that a lot of "progressive" policies like rent control, tenant's rights, and higher taxes, tend to alienate landlords.

Agreed.  Some of those gripes are legit and some are not, but yes landlords do have them.

(03-27-2024, 10:32 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Culvers is tasty. Just saying lol

Uh huh. When was the last time you lived in an apartment in Florida.

I talk to people.  I know people who manage complexes and people who rent.  Just because I didn't experience it personally doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Do you want me to start listing our state statutes on tenant rights?

Now tell me which millionaire that owns a complex gives a [BLEEP] and then name tenants that can fight them.

Reality has to hit you at some point