Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hell hath froze over, I'm in agreement with a Gen Z person...........

Angry Gen Z American details 'struggle to survive' in viral rant: 'I cannot afford to live'

Young American claiming to earn three times the federal minimum wage sounds off on the cost of living

With hot inflation numbers to prove it, one hacked-off Gen Z American took to TikTok where he detailed a "struggle to survive" and pay for everyday items.

"Can somebody explain to me in crayon-eating terms why I make over three times the federal minimum wage and I cannot afford to live?" the user allegedly named Nic started to say.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/angry-...fford-live
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-11-2024, 10:28 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Angry Gen Z American details 'struggle to survive' in viral rant: 'I cannot afford to live'

Young American claiming to earn three times the federal minimum wage sounds off on the cost of living

With hot inflation numbers to prove it, one hacked-off Gen Z American took to TikTok where he detailed a "struggle to survive" and pay for everyday items.

"Can somebody explain to me in crayon-eating terms why I make over three times the federal minimum wage and I cannot afford to live?" the user allegedly named Nic started to say.

Three times the federal minimum wage would be about $22 an hour.  With no overtime, that would come to $3,784 per month.   He would pay $205 per month in federal income tax.  That leaves $3,579.  He says a 1-bedroom apartment costs $1,800.  That leaves $1,779.  I don't mean to be insensitive, but that's a lot left after paying rent.  What else would he be paying for?  Groceries?  Electricity?  Car payment?  It still seems like if he is single, he can pretty easily get by.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2024, 04:53 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-11-2024, 03:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 10:28 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Angry Gen Z American details 'struggle to survive' in viral rant: 'I cannot afford to live'

Three times the federal minimum wage would be about $22 an hour.  With no overtime, that would come to $3,784 per month.   He would pay $205 per month in federal income tax.  That leaves $3,579.  He says a 1-bedroom apartment costs $1,800.  That leaves $1,779.  I don't mean to be insensitive, but that's a lot left after paying rent.  What else would he be paying for?  Groceries?  Electricity?  Car payment?  It still seems like if he is single, he can pretty easily get by.

Must be nice to be young and be able to afford your own apartment.  When I lived in DC (after college), I first lived in a 3br apt and then a 5br house, each one of my roommates occupying a bedroom and never paying over $300/month on my $20k salary.  Not only does living in group houses and apts help cut the rent cost down drastically, but also reduces the utilities expense as well (e.g. dividing cable charges by 5 peeps, etc.).

Lol .... young and living in a 1br apt and complaining you can't afford to live.  What a loser.   There's also always cheaper options to live further from the city to reduce rent costs as well.  What a loser.

(04-11-2024, 04:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 03:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Three times the federal minimum wage would be about $22 an hour.  With no overtime, that would come to $3,784 per month.   He would pay $205 per month in federal income tax.  That leaves $3,579.  He says a 1-bedroom apartment costs $1,800.  That leaves $1,779.  I don't mean to be insensitive, but that's a lot left after paying rent.  What else would he be paying for?  Groceries?  Electricity?  Car payment?  It still seems like if he is single, he can pretty easily get by.

Must be nice to be young and be able to afford your own apartment.  When I lived in DC (after college), I first lived in a 3br apt and then a 5br house, each one of my roommates occupying a bedroom and never paying over $300/month on my $20k salary.  Not only does living in group houses and apts help cut the rent cost down drastically, but also reduces the utilities expense as well (e.g. dividing cable charges by 5 peeps, etc.).

Lol .... young and living in a 1br apt and complaining you can't afford to live.  What a loser.   There's also always cheaper options to live further from the city to reduce rent costs as well.  What a loser.

Hahahaha.

You're old af.

Kids today do not want to have roommates. That was the whole reason to leave mommy and daddy's house.

I think his point was the general public has trouble paying for stuff more now than before inflation shot through the roof yet paychecks stay the same. 

Also, he probably also has a car payment, gas, insurance and definitely pays for groceries. Student loans have possibly been an issue. Maybe has health issues and sees a doctor on the regular so has to pay for medical insurance, copays and such. You never know what is going on with folks.

I need to know who they voted for to better gauge the level of sympathy they warrant.

(04-12-2024, 07:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I need to know who they voted for to better gauge the level of sympathy they warrant.

Read the article

(04-11-2024, 03:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

The problem is trying to live above their means. You can't show-off by sitting at home and eating ramen. Lots of these people were already overstretched with their purchases. There is no restraint and they want immediate happiness.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5wTJ5ssZ...pqdXBxNG1m

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-17-2024, 02:47 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 03:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Three times the federal minimum wage would be about $22 an hour.  With no overtime, that would come to $3,784 per month.   He would pay $205 per month in federal income tax.  That leaves $3,579.  He says a 1-bedroom apartment costs $1,800.  That leaves $1,779.  I don't mean to be insensitive, but that's a lot left after paying rent.  What else would he be paying for?  Groceries?  Electricity?  Car payment?  It still seems like if he is single, he can pretty easily get by.
The problem is trying to live above their means. You can't show-off by sitting at home and eating ramen. Lots of these people were already overstretched with their purchases. There is no restraint and they want immediate happiness.

Groceries are 40% more than they were 3 years ago, so ~$100 per week or $400 a month
Interest rates are up driving increases in car payments and car insurance, so that's another $500 to $700 per month
Gas is $3.70 a gallon here today, so $150 a month fro 3 fill ups
Cell Phones are pretty much a necessity in our culture as is home internet, so another $100 a month. Most employers are not covering these expenses anymore since we moved to a WFH environment.
Personal insurance like renter's insurance is up, so another $40 a month

And if you think they only withhold $100 a pay period for taxes then you haven't looked a a pay stub lately. He also likely puts something into a retirement account as well, so that's cash he doesn't have.

That you talk down to people who don't want to work full time to live a shut in existence living on paper noodles is the problem with our society. A full time worker shouldn't have to "live above your means" to have a decent life.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-17-2024, 11:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 02:47 AM)p_rushing Wrote: The problem is trying to live above their means. You can't show-off by sitting at home and eating ramen. Lots of these people were already overstretched with their purchases. There is no restraint and they want immediate happiness.

Groceries are 40% more than they were 3 years ago, so ~$100 per week or $400 a month
Interest rates are up driving increases in car payments and car insurance, so that's another $500 to $700 per month
Cell Phones are pretty much a necessity in our culture as is home internet, so another $100 a month. Most employers are not covering these expenses anymore since we moved to a WFH environment.

And if you think they only withhold $100 a pay period for taxes then you haven't looked a a pay stub lately. He also likely puts something into a retirement account as well, so that's cash he doesn't have.

That you talk down to people who don't want to work full time to live a shut in existence living on paper noodles is the problem with our society. A full time worker shouldn't have to "live above your means" to have a decent life.

^ Those are good points, flsprtsgod.

(04-17-2024, 02:47 AM)p_rushing Wrote: The problem is trying to live above their means. You can't show-off by sitting at home and eating ramen. Lots of these people were already overstretched with their purchases. There is no restraint and they want immediate happiness.

Let them eat cake.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Wait. So this generation isn't just lazy?! And they should have just worked harder?!

That's crazy!

(04-17-2024, 12:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 11:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Groceries are 40% more than they were 3 years ago, so ~$100 per week or $400 a month

Let them eat cake.

As I recall that was a headless thoughtless comment.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato