Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade up to Pick 12

(04-12-2024, 09:11 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: watch the jags draft a qb with thier first  pick in 2024. it wouldn't surpise me if they did.

Which QB? Just curious who you would think the Jaguars would draft with the 17th overall selection at this position. Especially after trading a 6th RD pick already for Mac Jones to be the back-up. 

None of this year's QB's are guaranteed to be stars at the next level. None of them. Caleb Williams hype is hyperinflated and I could see him struggling in Chicago. Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Penix Jr. & Nix have qualities that translate to the NFL, and, they have some serious question marks in other areas of concern. Including age, durability, arm strength and decision making. 

It'll be funny, but, you watch, somebody like Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton III will end up being day three selections and end up being one of the better, if not, the best QB from this class by 2026. 

I think everybody gets awestruck when a rookie QB like C.J Stroud comes out in a blaze of glory and leads a team to a play-off appearance. That's extremely rare though. It rarely happens in back-to-back years. Sure, you'll get some rookie QB's that have good stats, but, they fall short in the W/L column. 

You had Roethlisberger in 2004. Ryan in 2008. Dalton in 2011. Griffin III, Luck & Wilson in 2012. That's about it really. Maybe, who else?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No thanks.
We have too many holes to fill.
Take a WR in the 4th if you want to, but OL and DL is the most important (then CB).

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 09:48 PM by ClemsonOrangeJaguar. Edited 1 time in total.)

Unless they are sold on an OL who is multi year All Pro potential not worth it in my view. Way too many holes on this roster

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 09:38 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2024, 04:12 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: No thanks.
Take a WR in the 4th if you want to, but OL and DL is the most important (then CB).

Every year there are multiple receivers selected in the first round.  How many are top 10? I heard them discussing this on 1010 and thought to look for myself. Well, thanks to duck-duck-go I looked at various websites and came to the conclusion to just use cash due to the variances.  A lot of these guys were included in most of them anyways.  Seems only 2 top 10 receivers picks made the highest paid list and they are # 4 and 8 on the list.  Rounds 2 and 3 seem to be quite fine.  No need to trade up ... so I hope our brain trust doesn't jinx someone and do just that.

Highest paid wide receivers
1 Davante Adams Round 2 #53
2 Tyreek Hill Round 5 #165
3 A.J. Brown Round 2 #51
4 Amari Cooper Round 1 #4
5 Calvin Ridley Round 1 #26
6 Cooper Kupp Round 3 #69
7 Keenan Allen Round 3 #78
8 DeVonta Smith Round 1 #10
9 Christian Kirk Round 2 #47
10 D.K. Metcalf Round 2 #64
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-15-2024, 09:37 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

Every year there are multiple receivers selected in the first round.  How many are top 10? I heard them discussing this on 1010 and thought to look for myself. Well, thanks to duck-duck-go I looked at various websites and came to the conclusion to just use cash due to the variances.  A lot of these guys were included in most of them anyways.  Seems only 2 top 10 receivers picks made the highest paid list and they are # 4 and 8 on the list.  Rounds 2 and 3 seem to be quite fine.  No need to trade up ... so I hope our brain trust doesn't jinx someone and do just that.

3 A.J. Brown Round 2 #51
I think you’ll see many more first round receivers take over this list.

Lamb, Jefferson, Chase, Waddle, London, Garrett Wilson and Aiyuk are all poised to crack this list.

WR contracts are getting crazy so my goal here is to lock up a young stud (Odunze or Nabers) for a long time cheap.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 09:51 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

3 A.J. Brown Round 2 #51

Kirk is the 19th highest paid WR.

You have guys like Debo Samuel, Dionte Johnson, Tee Higgins, Chirs Godwin, and McLaurin ahead of him on average salary. None are 1st round draft picks though

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 10:09 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2024, 09:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 09:37 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Every year there are multiple receivers selected in the first round.  How many are top 10? I heard them discussing this on 1010 and thought to look for myself. Well, thanks to duck-duck-go I looked at various websites and came to the conclusion to just use cash due to the variances.  A lot of these guys were included in most of them anyways.  Seems only 2 top 10 receivers picks made the highest paid list and they are # 4 and 8 on the list.  Rounds 2 and 3 seem to be quite fine.  No need to trade up ... so I hope our brain trust doesn't jinx someone and do just that.

3 A.J. Brown Round 2 #51

Kirk is the 19th highest paid WR.

You have guys like Debo Samuel, Dionte Johnson, Tee Higgins, Chirs Godwin, and McLaurin ahead of him on average salary. None are 1st round draft picks though

Hear is my source from spottrac, I should have put it in the original post.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/so...limit-100/

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 10:10 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-15-2024, 10:04 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 09:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Kirk is the 19th highest paid WR.

Hear is my source from spottrac

Yeah, you went total contract.  Kirk is a 4 year deal,  there are a few right under him almost the same on a 3 year deal

https://frontofficesports.com/the-25-hig...receivers/

Diggs is another that makes more than Kirk and he was drafted in the 5th

Pittman as well drafted in the 2nd

(04-15-2024, 10:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 10:04 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Hear is my source from spottrac

Yeah, you went total contract.  Kirk is a 4 year deal,  there are a few right under him almost the same on a 3 year deal

Yea, I hear a bunch of poop on the radio and sometimes like to check it out.  Another metric could be guaranteed money. The point is the same. We do not need to trade up for an elite receiver...yet.  Heck last year everyone knew he only had time to make one read and throw.

(04-15-2024, 10:22 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 10:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yeah, you went total contract.  Kirk is a 4 year deal,  there are a few right under him almost the same on a 3 year deal

Yea, I hear a bunch of poop on the radio and sometimes like to check it out.  Another metric could be guaranteed money. The point is the same. We do not need to trade up for an elite receiver...yet.  Heck last year everyone knew he only had time to make one read and throw.

Good numbers and even greater points. I agree. I simply do not see the need in trading up in this draft class for a specific WR. If one falls to 17? And they like him? I am all for it. Forking over any future draft picks or this year's 48th and 96th overall selections to land one player is just neglecting everything else that this team needs in a relatively deep class that fits said needs. 

Would rather land a quality IOL, IDL, CB or EDGE at 17 and aim for a WR with picks 48 or 96 instead. There's good value to be had there within the top 100. Same can be said for CB if they do opt. for a WR at 17. IOL also has the same feel to it. So does IDL. I feel like EDGE is where it gets a little tricky this year, but, thankfully, we have Walker and Allen secured and they could get more of an edge presence by simply upgrading the IDL.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-16-2024, 09:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFL_Podcasts/status/...6238445980

Good points for recent drafts.  Even if that trend holds, which it probably won't, I don't think now is the time to trade up for the WR though I'd certainly roll with it if it happened.  And if Odunze can fall to a point where we aren't giving up #48 I can get on board a lot easier with the idea. I don't think that's going to happen though.  

I didn't care for the Nabers' interview I watched and he recently made comments about the Giant's QB room which although may be true, considering he may be playing there it wasn't a smart thing to say.  If he falls now because of "character concerns", I don't think we should give up significant comp to trade up for him.  If he somehow gets to 14, sure start thinking about it.  It's worth the risk at that point.  Probably giving up the 3rd and 5th to move from 17 to 14, but you'd have to be initially happy with the move assuming the "character concerns" are rubbish.

I just think it's probably better for Trevor if we can pull a Falcons for Julio draft day trade up deal in a year or two once the wall is built around Trevor and the defense is sufficiently staffed for Nielsen.

(04-15-2024, 03:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 09:11 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: watch the jags draft a qb with thier first  pick in 2024. it wouldn't surpise me if they did.

Which QB? Just curious who you would think the Jaguars would draft with the 17th overall selection at this position. Especially after trading a 6th RD pick already for Mac Jones to be the back-up. 

None of this year's QB's are guaranteed to be stars at the next level. None of them. Caleb Williams hype is hyperinflated and I could see him struggling in Chicago. Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Penix Jr. & Nix have qualities that translate to the NFL, and, they have some serious question marks in other areas of concern. Including age, durability, arm strength and decision making. 

It'll be funny, but, you watch, somebody like Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton III will end up being day three selections and end up being one of the better, if not, the best QB from this class by 2026. 

I think everybody gets awestruck when a rookie QB like C.J Stroud comes out in a blaze of glory and leads a team to a play-off appearance. That's extremely rare though. It rarely happens in back-to-back years. Sure, you'll get some rookie QB's that have good stats, but, they fall short in the W/L column. 

You had Roethlisberger in 2004. Ryan in 2008. Dalton in 2011. Griffin III, Luck & Wilson in 2012. That's about it really. Maybe, who else?

hoo boy you like wastin them keystrokes, dontcha?
Big Grin

3 A.J. Brown Round 2 #51

Highest paid != best

A lot of the top receivers from last season are still on their rookie deals.

What this tells me is that if you do happen to find a guy who kills it in the day 2 and 3 portions of the darft, they are gonna get paid if they sustain that production. There's also a heapin' helpin' of flops taken early and late trying to strike receiver gold.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 10:13 AM by Caldrac.)

(04-16-2024, 09:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFL_Podcasts/status/...6238445980

This is a deep enough WR class, to where, it's possible a team or two is finding another Puka Nacua or Amon St. Brown outside of RD1 next weekend. I just cannot get onboard with trading up for one of the top three to four. The odds are in our favor that Brian Thomas Jr. falls to 17, and, he's really not a bad consolation prize in my opinion. 

Everyone on here has been screaming for years that we need a vertical threat on the outside with size, speed, hands and redzone ability. He checks off every single one of those boxes and playing the waiting game seems like the best bet there in my opinion. Should let this year's draft board fall to us, rather than chase after it.

Again, we're not a WR1 away from running the table. Even when you DO land a WR1? How often does it pan out for your play-off hopes and livelihoods? Diggs didn't work out in Buffalo. Hill is not working out so far in Miami. Adams is not working out so far in Las Vegas. Chase is not working out so far in Cincinatti and Jefferson is potentially a trading candidate in Minnesota already if the rumor's are true. 

You do not need a WR1 to win a Superbowl in the NFL. Sure, it helps, however, for every great WR1 on a team that gets wiped out early in the play-off's, there's another team rolling with guys like Wes Welker, Donald Driver & Anquan Boldin as far as where they did or didn't go in their respective draft classes that go onto contribute big time in big time games. 

Have to agree with Jaguarmeister. Build the wall first around Lawrence. Establish the running game. Correct the imbalances and THEN look for his Julio Jones in a year or two in a trade that then makes sense.

(04-16-2024, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-15-2024, 03:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Which QB? Just curious who you would think the Jaguars would draft with the 17th overall selection at this position. Especially after trading a 6th RD pick already for Mac Jones to be the back-up. 

hoo boy you like wastin them keystrokes, dontcha?
Big Grin

For the wolfman? Absolutely. No such thing as a waste with him.

(04-16-2024, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

This is a deep enough WR class, to where, it's possible a team or two is finding another Puka Nacua or Amon St. Brown outside of RD1 next weekend. I just cannot get onboard with trading up for one of the top three to four. The odds are in our favor that Brian Thomas Jr. falls to 17, and, he's really not a bad consolation prize in my opinion. 

Everyone on here has been screaming for years that we need a vertical threat on the outside with size, speed, hands and redzone ability. He checks off every single one of those boxes and playing the waiting game seems like the best bet there in my opinion. Should let this year's draft board fall to us, rather than chase after it.

Again, we're not a WR1 away from running the table. Even when you DO land a WR1? How often does it pan out for your play-off hopes and livelihoods? Diggs didn't work out in Buffalo. Hill is not working out so far in Miami. Adams is not working out so far in Las Vegas. Chase is not working out so far in Cincinatti and Jefferson is potentially a trading candidate in Minnesota already if the rumor's are true. 

You do not need a WR1 to win a Superbowl in the NFL. Sure, it helps, however, for every great WR1 on a team that gets wiped out early in the play-off's, there's another team rolling with guys like Wes Welker, Donald Driver & Anquan Boldin as far as where they did or didn't go in their respective draft classes that go onto contribute big time in big time games. 

Have to agree with Jaguarmeister. Build the wall first around Lawrence. Establish the running game. Correct the imbalances and THEN look for his Julio Jones in a year or two in a trade that then makes sense.

(04-16-2024, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: hoo boy you like wastin them keystrokes, dontcha?
Big Grin

We are all in agreement that the Jags need to build a wall around Trevor. However, no rookie lineman will start this season. Their starting 5 is set so it's just another rookie drafted that won't see playing time (ala Strange, Bigsby, Ventrell) in year 1. Now we all want depth (that's obvious) but for me, I don't draft depth in round 1. That player needs to make an immediate impact.

A rookie WR however will 100% start over Zay. Odunze, Davis and Kirk perfectly compliment each other.

I'm just going in reverse order of what some want to do with this draft. I'm going up for Odunze (the only player I really want to trade up for). Then I'm taking CB and OL the entire rest of the draft. Then in 2025, I'm hammering OL again. 

My trade up has more to do with Odunze than it does just wanting a WR. If it's not Odunze or MHJ, I'm staying at 17 and probably taking a corner then WR in round 2.

(04-16-2024, 10:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 10:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This is a deep enough WR class, to where, it's possible a team or two is finding another Puka Nacua or Amon St. Brown outside of RD1 next weekend. I just cannot get onboard with trading up for one of the top three to four. The odds are in our favor that Brian Thomas Jr. falls to 17, and, he's really not a bad consolation prize in my opinion. 

We are all in agreement that the Jags need to build a wall around Trevor. However, no rookie lineman will start this season. Their starting 5 is set so it's just another rookie drafted that won't see playing time (ala Strange, Bigsby, Ventrell) in year 1. Now we all want depth (that's obvious) but for me, I don't draft depth in round 1. That player needs to make an immediate impact.

A rookie WR however will 100% start over Zay. Odunze, Davis and Kirk perfectly compliment each other.

I'm just going in reverse order of what some want to do with this draft. I'm going up for Odunze (the only player I really want to trade up for). Then I'm taking CB and OL the entire rest of the draft. Then in 2025, I'm hammering OL again. 

My trade up has more to do with Odunze than it does just wanting a WR. If it's not Odunze or MHJ, I'm staying at 17 and probably taking a corner then WR in round 2.

There's a distinct possibility Scherff's replacement is drafted in a couple of weeks.  Scherff's current restructured deal has him making about $10M this year at age 33 with only void years left following this one. He may very well start the season, but I expect someone to be on the roster to replace him by next year if not at some point this upcoming season.  It seems very much like a potential pass the torch type of deal to me.  He'd be fantastic as depth if we indeed do find a replacement in this draft that is able to outperform him by some point in the season.  Given his exhausted looking posture in games last season, I think it may wind up being foolish if we don't draft his replacement this year.

Also, if we go Tackle in the 1st, as I've said before, I'd ideally like to see Cam shipped immediately for another pick in this year's draft if we can swing such a deal for a high 4th or thereabouts. I'd be ecstatic with such a turn of events.

I see two potential opportunities for changes along the starting o-line this year, so I'd hesitate at this point to call it set.

JPJ to replace Scherff at RG this year and eventually take over at C would be dope, ideally in a trade back scenario.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 11:08 AM by Cleatwood.)

(04-16-2024, 11:02 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 10:25 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: We are all in agreement that the Jags need to build a wall around Trevor. However, no rookie lineman will start this season. Their starting 5 is set so it's just another rookie drafted that won't see playing time (ala Strange, Bigsby, Ventrell) in year 1. Now we all want depth (that's obvious) but for me, I don't draft depth in round 1. That player needs to make an immediate impact.

There's a distinct possibility Scherff's replacement is drafted in a couple of weeks.  Scherff's current restructured deal has him making about $10M this year at age 33 with only void years left following this one. He may very well start the season, but I expect someone to be on the roster to replace him by next year if not at some point this upcoming season.  It seems very much like a potential pass the torch type of deal to me.  He'd be fantastic as depth if we indeed do find a replacement in this draft that is able to outperform him by some point in the season.  Given his exhausted looking posture in games last season, I think it may wind up being foolish if we don't draft his replacement this year.

Also, if we go Tackle in the 1st, as I've said before, I'd ideally like to see Cam shipped immediately for another pick in this year's draft if we can swing such a deal for a high 4th or thereabouts. I'd be ecstatic with such a turn of events.

I see two potential opportunities for changes along the starting o-line this year, so I'd hesitate at this point to call it set.

JPJ to replace Scherff at RG this year and eventually take over at C would be dope, ideally in a trade back scenario.
They're not moving on from Cam or Scherff this year.

If they were, they would have already moved on from them at this point in the season. They've shown you their cards at this point.

https://twitter.com/MarinoNFL/status/178...3388000488

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 12:24 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-16-2024, 11:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 11:02 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There's a distinct possibility Scherff's replacement is drafted in a couple of weeks.  Scherff's current restructured deal has him making about $10M this year at age 33 with only void years left following this one. He may very well start the season, but I expect someone to be on the roster to replace him by next year if not at some point this upcoming season.  It seems very much like a potential pass the torch type of deal to me.  He'd be fantastic as depth if we indeed do find a replacement in this draft that is able to outperform him by some point in the season.  Given his exhausted looking posture in games last season, I think it may wind up being foolish if we don't draft his replacement this year.

If they were, they would have already moved on from them at this point in the season. They've shown you their cards at this point.

Cam I think is a potential cut or trading candidate during or post the draft next week. If they land a LT prospect or any OT prospect? I think it's possible they get rid of Cam now to start stacking cap space towards Lawrence's extension. Little can also play a role at LT or swing tackle in year four. 

I don't think we're out of the woods yet with this offensive line. They have to be factoring in last year's nonsense as well. The fact that Pederson stated their best five on the roster did not fully play together until the season finale should be stapled to everybody's clipboard inside that war room. 

It was a well known fact that the line had challenges across the board and it was carrying players that are historically injury prone. They gambled last year by not addressing it, and, they lost. Even with the injuries Lawrence sustained and played through. Even with the WR room depleted with injuries. 

It was pathetic that this team could not muster a running game to save it's life when we needed it the most. That's the underlying issue that also kept coming up with Pederson's press conferences after the season ended. 

No healthy bodies on the offensive line and no running game. They know what they need to fix next week. Would be REALLY funny, if, they did manage to trade up with Atlanta for the 8th selection and they decide to draft Joe Alt at LT if he's still on the board or Olumuyiwa Fashanu.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 12:25 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-16-2024, 11:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 11:02 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There's a distinct possibility Scherff's replacement is drafted in a couple of weeks.  Scherff's current restructured deal has him making about $10M this year at age 33 with only void years left following this one. He may very well start the season, but I expect someone to be on the roster to replace him by next year if not at some point this upcoming season.  It seems very much like a potential pass the torch type of deal to me.  He'd be fantastic as depth if we indeed do find a replacement in this draft that is able to outperform him by some point in the season.  Given his exhausted looking posture in games last season, I think it may wind up being foolish if we don't draft his replacement this year.

We'll see.  I think the moves are at least plausible because you don't create holes for yourself walking into a draft where if things don't fall the way you expect you can't fill the holes properly.  Scherff being moved on from vs. going from starter to back up or grooming next year's replacement in a timeshare are two different things and again, you don't create holes for yourself walking in to a draft.  Holding Cam through night 1 of the draft is potentially them not wanting to show their draft intentions.

I'm not trading up that high for Nabers if it's me making the call though.  I want dude to be squeaky clean without any doubts in my mind for such a move.  I have some doubts, small as they are, about Nabers.  #8 is too pricey for me.  #14?  Sure. 

I've already said I wouldn't trade up for any WR if it required significant comp (#48 or next years 1st).  If we must and its Odunze or Nabers, please god let it be Odunze.