Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Las Vegas Raiders?

Quote:I actually think this will be a great fit for the Raiders. Their fans are already within driving distance of Las Vegas, and I am sure they will fit right in with everything that goes on there. Its a match made somewhere...

Referring to former LA Raider fans? Oakland is a long drive to Vegas if I remember right.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You certainly would know better than I would but from what I've read,   there are many relatively low priced flights from the SF/ Oakland Bay Area to Las Vegas.    As well as from the Los Angeles area to Las Vegas.   Whether that would satisfy enough Raiders fans in California is a totally different question.

Without question. Depending on the flight days you can fly to Vegas, even from Fresno, in an hour for around $100. SFO/Oak can be a bit cheaper even.

LA is drivable. Oakland is like a 10 hour drive though. You have to drive around the Sierra Nevadas.

Quote:If you don't want a home field advantage, you can totally play to visiting fans. Vegas can support a team. AT&T Stadium here in Dallas is not a home field, it is a cash shop for Jerry Jones. Heck their practice location is an extension of the cash shop.
You live in Dallas?
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Without question. Depending on the flight days you can fly to Vegas, even from Fresno, in an hour for around $100. SFO/Oak can be a bit cheaper even.

LA is drivable. Oakland is like a 10 hour drive though. You have to drive around the Sierra Nevadas.

Thanks for the information.

Based on the Raiders fans you know in California,  do you think the team is going to be supposed by the majority of them if the team moves to Las Vegas?

Quote:You live in Dallas?

I do now.  Moved here because of work.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Thanks for the information.

Based on the Raiders fans you know in California,  do you think the team is going to be supposed by the majority of them if the team moves to Las Vegas?

I have a friend who is a 15 year season ticket holder, he'll support them literally anywhere, and would probably fly anywhere to watch them. I have another friend who attends 4-6 games a year, and the move to LV would probably bump that down to 1-2 a year.

A few more friends that don't live in the Bay Area anymore would definitely still be fans but no change in attendance since they each live in New York City now.

I also have one friend who is a fan and works either for or with the Raiders, I'm not sure which. He might not be happy because he'd lose his team and his job probably. His father, same exact situation, is about to take a job with the Seahawks, but I'm certain he would still be a fan of the Raiders.

No one I've talked to would stop being a fan completely. Not sure a Raiders fan could contemplate that haha.

Quote:I have a friend who is a 15 year season ticket holder, he'll support them literally anywhere, and would probably fly anywhere to watch them. I have another friend who attends 4-6 games a year, and the move to LV would probably bump that down to 1-2 a year.

A few more friends that don't live in the Bay Area anymore would definitely still be fans but no change in attendance since they each live in New York City now.

I also have one friend who is a fan and works either for or with the Raiders, I'm not sure which. He might not be happy because he'd lose his team and his job probably. His father, same exact situation, is about to take a job with the Seahawks, but I'm certain he would still be a fan of the Raiders.

No one I've talked to would stop being a fan completely. Not sure a Raiders fan could contemplate that haha.

Can't understand this mentality. If the Jags ever leave they are dead to me. All merchandise will be sold or destroyed, would forever root against the team.

Quote:Can't understand this mentality. If the Jags ever leave they are dead to me. All merchandise will be sold or destroyed, would forever root against the team.

I understand that sentiment, I grew up a Rams fan. Maybe it's different because the guys I know that are fans are not actually from Oakland or even the Bay Area?

I will say though, there is a weird psychology to being a Raider fan. A very us against the world mentality.

Quote:I have a friend who is a 15 year season ticket holder, he'll support them literally anywhere, and would probably fly anywhere to watch them. I have another friend who attends 4-6 games a year, and the move to LV would probably bump that down to 1-2 a year.

Back in 1982 when the Raiders moved to Los Angeles,   an eventual friend of mine from the East Bay town of Pleasanton stopped being a Raiders fan.  He became a 49ers fan.   Even when the Raiders came back to Oakland in 1995,  he still continued to root for the 49ers  

Looking at the current Raiders situation from a distance,  my impression is that the Raiders have made a concerted effort to remain in Oakland but the city and county have not been willing to come close to making an investment in keeping the team.   If enough Raiders fans from the Bay Area view this similarly,   that could make the difference in the team retaining a large portion of its fan base in the Bay Area even if the team moves out of the area again.

Quote:I actually think this will be a great fit for the Raiders. Their fans are already within driving distance of Las Vegas, and I am sure they will fit right in with everything that goes on there. Its a match made somewhere...

Yes, because we all know that 557 mile drive to the game is very feasible.  Assuming you don't hit a lot of traffic, one can easily make it from Oakland to Vegas in 8 hours.

Quote:Assuming you don't hit a lot of traffic.

Ha!

Quote:Back in 1982 when the Raiders moved to Los Angeles,   an eventual friend of mine from the East Bay town of Pleasanton stopped being a Raiders fan.  He became a 49ers fan.   Even when the Raiders came back to Oakland in 1995,  he still continued to root for the 49ers  

Looking at the current Raiders situation from a distance,  my impression is that the Raiders have made a concerted effort to remain in Oakland but the city and county have not been willing to come close to making an investment in keeping the team.   If enough Raiders fans from the Bay Area view this similarly,   that could make the difference in the team retaining a large portion of its fan base in the Bay Area even if the team moves out of the area again.

I'm sure there would be some folks like your friend as well.

The Raiders have a pretty large presence throughout the state, I'd bet they'd retain a pretty healthy portion even with a move. I think there are even some that are rooting for it so they have an excuse to go to Vegas once or twice a season.

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Quote:Driving distance?

I was thinking in terms of yeah I could drive 8 hours in a day, but each way is too much for a single day. But, if you came out on Friday and left after the game it would be doable

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

When I was interviewing at schools I would judge them by driving distance. If I could do it in one shot one way then its close enough to interview if I had the next day off

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Can't understand this mentality. If the Jags ever leave they are dead to me. All merchandise will be sold or destroyed, would forever root against the team.

Each team situation is different.  The Jaguars are very regional right now so there would be a somewhat scorched fan experience.  Honestly for all the move talk, the team is one of the least popular outside of their main area.  I don't know how you can move them anywhere.  It would be like starting all over and rebuilding a new fan base.

I have lived in 3 States in 5 years due to work and I can consistently say I've been the only Jaguar fan in my work life after relocating.

The Raiders have already been at both ends of California and they do maintain a big following across the country.  That bad boys club image has attracted a strong fan base.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

You may be confusing Vegas with Reno. 

Nevada is big.

My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Quote:You may be confusing Vegas with Reno.

Nevada is big.
To be perfectly honest I was thinking of Reno. Living in Sacramento that was the first thing that came to mind, but even tho it is 8 hours instead of 5, I have the same thought. Its not a day trip, but it isnt so far you could never go by car. The location isnt like me driving from california to florida, its within the region.

I drove from LA to Oakland last year to see the raiders vs bills game. Day 1 was driving up on Saturday, slept in a hotel, sunday was game, slept again and headed home on monday.

I'll easily do that for vegas where I can do stuff while waiting, Oakland sucked. But only max twice a year.... to see bills @ raiders and jags @ raiders lol.

In the last 2 years I've been to Oakland, San Diego, and los angeles. Oakland coliseum is in awful shape, walking down the stairs was scary, floorboards breaking cracks in the concert. San Diego wasn't much better. You can see why they want new stadiums.

Quote:Referring to former LA Raider fans? Oakland is a long drive to Vegas if I remember right.

Yeah.. a few here are saying 8 hours, but I'm thinking it's a bit longer than that especially with the traffic... you know there will be traffic for games soon after leaving Bakersfield.

'02

Quote:Yeah.. a few here are saying 8 hours, but I'm thinking it's a bit longer than that especially with the traffic... you know there will be traffic for games soon after leaving Bakersfield.

The 880, 680, 580 up near Oakland are also huge traffic traps. I avoid all 3 unless it's after like 9pm if I can.

But to you point, I agree. No way it's an 8-hour drive. You also have to figure you're getting gas and food at some point.