Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best Concert You Ever Attended

Let me add - Stadium board unveiling with Carrie Underwood.  Not a huge fan of the music, but dem legs!!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016, 12:10 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:I have to really think back because I quit listening to rock and roll a long long time ago, and I know you guys are talking about rock and roll.  

I'd have to say Elton John in Bloomington, Indiana, in (I think) 1976.  

Other than that. I guess Jethro Tull in the Jax Coliseum around the same time period. 

Actually, I'd like to hear from those that may prefer symphonies or other types of concerts as well.  

Lucia Micarelli (violinist plays Kashmir) -- starts at the 2:37 mark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmHiYgO58s

Quote:Actually, I'd like to hear from those that may prefer symphonies or other types of concerts as well.  

Lucia Micarelli (violinist plays Kashmir) -- starts at the 2:37 mark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmHiYgO58s

I saw light lyrical soprano Kathleen Battle perform with the JSO and was blown away. What a voice! At one point she sang a chord.

If you get a chance to catch the JSO and Chorus traditional Christmas concerts, give it a shot. They are fantastic, especially when performing any or all of Handel's Messiah.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016, 12:47 PM by Kotite.)

Lots of memories choose from.

I saw Meat Loaf for free at a County Fair about a year before he released Bat Out of Hell II and was absolutely floored. Thought he was gonna pass out multiple times because he was belting every word with every ounce of energy he had.

If you've never seen Ozomatli, they put on a fantastic show too. Saw them at Coachella in 2001 and they had guest musicians the Cut Chemist (DJ) and the leader of Los Lobos. They start every show at the back of the venue and make their way on stage. Then they wrap the show by performing their final song leaving the stage and making their way as a parade to the back of the venue.

Monsters of Rock 1988 - Kingdom Come, Metallica (before And Justice For All released, but after Garage Days Re-Revisited with Newsted), Scorpions, Dokken and Van Halen.

The band Vio-Lence opened for Testament at a club that held about 2500 people on the New Order tour. Vio-Lence had such a furious opening set, two songs into Testament's set a riot broke out and more cops and SWAT teams showed up than I knew existed.

Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour (Mr. Big opened).

120 Minutes Tour - Blind Melon, Live (Mental Jewelry era), P.I.L. and Big Audio Dynamite (by far the loudest band I have ever seen - ears rang for two days).

Lilith Fair - Liz Phair, Indigo Girls, Missy Elliott, Natalie Merchant, Sarah McLachlan (So many hot girls and some of them were straight).

Come and the Breeders opening for Nirvana on the In Utero tour.

RICHARD Dale (surf guitar legend who goes by Dick)

Frank Black opening for The Ramones.

Sigur Ros (with a backing string quartet) on the ( ) tour.

Billy Joel on the Storm Front tour.

Iron Maiden on the Somewhere in Time tour (Yngwie Malmsteen opened).

Jane's Addiction on the Ritual de lo Habitual tour (before the 1st Lollapalooza) with Suicidal Tendencies opening.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Come and the Breeders opening for Nirvana on the In Utero tour.

Was this the show at the Morocco Shrine Auditorium. where The Breeders walked off the stage because people were throwing shoes at the stage?

- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM by Kotite.)

Quote:Was this the show at the Morocco Shrine Auditorium. where The Breeders walked off the stage because people were throwing shoes at the stage?

Bayfront Amphitheater in Miami. No shoes.
Only a chump boos the home team!

I don't remember.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Jamiroquai played at James Madison, I believe in 1996, right after they released Traveling Without Moving (ironically, my least favorite album of theirs). That was an AMAZING show and the first concert I ever attended. There was even a random, ambient trance DJ who played before they came on who was pretty sick...although I don't remember his name. That didn't matter, I wasn't there for trance. I was going to Nation to get my rave on after the concert. I was there to see Jamiroquai. Their concerts are all over YouTube. They kill it wherever they go.

Then there is my favorite: the 2010 Capital City Jazz Festival at the soul stage. The line up went from Earth, Wind and Fire, Jennifer Holliday, Patti Labelle, Mint Condition (grossly underrated band...amazing live) and my favorite band of all time, The Brand New Heavies. That day was the closest to heaven I'll likely ever be while on this earth...

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Oasis - Wembley 2000

Rage Against The Machine - Wembley Arena 2000

Story Of The Year - London Astoria 2 2006

Story Of The Year - London Astoria 2008

Blink-182 - Birminham NIA 2012

Green Day - Emirates Stadium 2013

Jimmy Eat World - London Brixton Academy 2014

Far too many to mention!

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:Oasis - Wembley 2000

Rage Against The Machine - Wembley Arena 2000

Story Of The Year - London Astoria 2 2006

Story Of The Year - London Astoria 2008

Blink-182 - Birminham NIA 2012

Green Day - Emirates Stadium 2013

Jimmy Eat World - London Brixton Academy 2014

Far too many to mention!
story of the year is pretty rad live

Quote:I don't remember.

The best times. I think.

- Bob Marley

My first concert ever was Boyz II Men and TLC way back in 95'. Don't hate, R&B taught me how to sweet talk the ladies.

Santana at the Hollywood Bowl

Styx in the Jacksonville Coliseum just after their Equinox album.

Quote:Bayfront Amphitheater in Miami. No shoes.

I went to the annual Bob Marley birthday festival at Bayfront when they used to host it.

9milemusicfestival.com/

Quote:I saw light lyrical soprano Kathleen Battle perform with the JSO and was blown away. What a voice! At one point she sang a chord.

If you get a chance to catch the JSO and Chorus traditional Christmas concerts, give it a shot. They are fantastic, especially when performing any or all of Handel's Messiah.

Dang --- my in-laws were in town last year (from Puerto Vallarta, MX) for Christmas and I almost took them down to see that ..... now i'm kicking myself because they would have loved it.

I'll add a couple more. Stevie Ray Vaughn at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa in 1987. The Greg Allman Band opened. They were good, but their guitar player (Dan Toller, I believe), didn't come close to Stevie. His soul poured into the strings, though the pickups and cord, and out of the amplifier.

Joe Satriani at Jannus Landing in St. Pete in 1988. Another show that left me wondering why I bothered playing guitar. It was like watching a magician.

Quote:Metallica/Queensryche, Jax Coliseum 1991

Are you sure this show wasn't in 1989? I saw the same billing in 1989 right after the Justice album was released. The fans of those two bands really didn't get along. I think Florida Metallica fans were still sore about Queensryche replacing Metallica on the Ozzy Ultimate Sin tour right before the Florida gigs.

Quote:Are you sure this show wasn't in 1989? I saw the same billing in 1989 right after the Justice album was released. The fans of those two bands really didn't get along. I think Florida Metallica fans were still sore about Queensryche replacing Metallica on the Ozzy Ultimate Sin tour right before the Florida gigs.

Mighta been.  I was at UNF when the concert went down, so it was sometime between '89 and '91.  It was a damn good show by both bands, and I got bruised up pretty bad in the mosh pit.  REALLY impressed with Queensryche, who were promoting "Operation Mindcrime" at the time.

Probably was '89, now that I'm thinking about it.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2016, 07:58 PM by rollerjag.)

Turning this around, the two worst concerts I attended were Black Sabbath in the early 70s and Lynyrd Skynyrd a year or so later. Black Sabbath played 4 songs then the drummer stood up, threw his stool against the wall behind him and walked off. Show over. Lynyrd Skynyrd waited over 30 minutes after the opening act (I think it was Grinderswitch) to send someone out to say Ronnie Van Zant was sick and the band couldn't perform. A near riot broke out.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Just curious who people have seen that put on a good show.

I saw Springsteen this summer in Paris and it was by far the best show I have ever seen.  he played for just short of 4 hours and didn't stop between songs. He played a double encore and, at 62 yrs old,  crowd surfed during Hungry Heart.

I went into the show as a casual fan, going to the show to see a legend perform as much as for the catalog of music, but came out of it a serious fan.  

Anyone else have some good experiences with concerts? If so, what made the show great?

Depends on how you define "best" I guess, but seeing Paul McCartney here in Jacksonville was definitely a cool experience for me being a long time fan.  I really liked seeing Robert Plant on his Faith of Nations tour back in the early 90s at the Florida Theatre, I think it was one of the early stops on that tour and the band had a ton of energy and he was just starting to do some of the Zeppelin material again, so definitely a personal favorite for me.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.