Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What stats do you use to judge the quarterbacks of the nfl

Quote:It weighs interceptions more than twice as much as TDs. I don't agree.

I don't have a problem with that, really shows the difference between a 1:1 ratio, 2:1 ratio, and a 3:1 ratio.  The sack yards and passing attempts + sacks is what I don't like.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It weighs interceptions more than twice as much as TDs. I don't agree.
I think it's right. In the abstract everyone agrees that roughly 7 YPA is the break even, and roughly 2:1 TD:INT is the break even. 

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016, 11:12 PM by JackCity.)

Tried out a very simplistic one just to see what the results would be. Left out QBs who missed a few games.

Wins + TDs + average yards per pass - INTs

Brady:48.6

Newton:47.8

Palmer:45.7

Wilson:44.3

Rodgers:39.7

Brees:35.8

Cousins:34.7

Manning:34.2

Stafford:33.2

Carr:33

Fitz:32.9

Smith:31.4

Blake:29.3

Teddy:23.2

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016, 11:36 PM by realtorpat.)

I'm going to add rushing offense to that.  Team rank in rushing yards  so if a team is number 1 in rushing they get 32 points..  team is number 12 in rushing they get 20 pts  to see how much rushing offense helped some qbs.  

Kind of interesting makes it so an elite offense is about 65+  with an above average offense about 50+  Also shows which qbs completely carried their teams and which qbs benefitted the most from the running game.  Brees Brady Stafford Carr Bortles were all asked to do more due to weak running games.

Quote:Tried out a very simplistic one just to see what the results would be. Left out QBs who missed a few games.

Brady:48.6   +3                51.6

Newton:47.8   +31          78.8

Palmer:45.7    +24           69.7

Wilson:44.3     +29          73.3

Rodgers:39.7    +20        59.7

Brees:35.8        +8          43.8

Cousins:34.7      +12       46.7

Manning:34.2     +14      48.2

Stafford:33.2      +1       34.2

Carr:33               +5       38

Fitz:32.9             +22     54.9

Smith:31.4         +26    57.4

Blake:29.3          +6      35.3 

Teddy:23.2         +28    51.2
So if Blake can keep his ints to under 13 +5  win 9 games +4  and move our rushing offense up 10 spots we would have 19 more points  54.3 giving us an above average offense.

Probably needs more tinkering to make it work better or to add defense to it as well to determine best overall teams.

Go Jags!

Quote:Tried out a very simplistic one just to see what the results would be. Left out QBs who missed a few games.

Brady:48.6

Newton:47.8

Palmer:45.7

Wilson:44.3

Rodgers:39.7

Brees:35.8

Cousins:34.7

Manning:34.2

Stafford:33.2

Carr:33

Fitz:32.9

Smith:31.4

Blake:29.3

Teddy:23.2

Is that just passing TDs?

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016, 11:44 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Is that just passing TDs?

Yeah just passing TDs. Cam and Wilson would be way out in front if I included running stats.

Quote:I'm going to add rushing offense to that. Team rank in rushing yards so if a team is number 1 in rushing they get 32 points.. team is number 12 in rushing they get 20 pts to see how much rushing offense helped some qbs.

Kind of interesting makes it so an elite offense is about 65+ with an above average offense about 50+ Also shows which qbs completely carried their teams and which qbs benefitted the most from the running game. Brees Brady Stafford Carr Bortles were all asked to do more due to weak running games.

So if Blake can keep his ints to under 13 +5 win 9 games +4 and move our rushing offense up 10 spots we would have 19 more points 54.3 giving us an above average offense.

Probably needs more tinkering to make it work better or to add defense to it as well to determine best overall teams.

That's actually really interesting. I like the way you end up with Fitz/Smith/Bridgewater all together with the rushing attacks added on. Newton and Wilson could be taken down a but because they ran so much but don't know how to do that.

Try add some kind of defense in ,maybe turnover differential or something. I'm half asleep here.

Quote:That's actually really interesting. I like the way you end up with Fitz/Smith/Bridgewater all together with the rushing attacks added on. Newton and Wilson could be taken down a but because they ran so much but don't know how to do that.

Try add some kind of defense in ,maybe turnover differential or something. I'm half asleep here.

ya we could add defense but then it will be more of a total team thing instead of rating just qbs.  I thought the rushing was good because it breaks down which qbs were on an island and which had balanced attacks to work around.

Go Jags!

Quote:ya we could add defense but then it will be more of a total team thing instead of rating just qbs.  I thought the rushing was good because it breaks down which qbs were on an island and which had balanced attacks to work around.

But you've got team Wins in there, so you're already skewing it towards a team thing anyway. 

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Whether they win games or not.

This is a big part of it.

Just use your eyes.  No matter the sport, the best players stand out - like someone playing above the others' level.

Wins, TD/INT ratio, and just having the calm/ability to make clutch plays.  Dependable.

The stats typically fall in line as a result of that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:But you've got team Wins in there, so you're already skewing it towards a team thing anyway. 

That's why I don't believe there is a stat or collection of stats that tell you the bottom line.

You know it when you see it.

Stats are for fantasy football.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Stats change with game flow or how a team is overall.  The last few seasons a QB with >7ypa >27tds <13ints and 4000+ yards tended to have a good season.  If you hit those benchmarks you tend to be a good qb.

Go Jags!

Quote:But you've got team Wins in there, so you're already skewing it towards a team thing anyway. 

QB is almost always directly responsible for wins.  With the exception of teams like The Rex Grossman Bears or last years Broncos if a qb plays bad that team tends to lose.

Go Jags!

Wins and Losses

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana