Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dorial Green - Beckham traded from Ten - Phi

Quote:Mularkey the GM?  Serious question.

I'm not sure what to think.

Should I be angry and pounding the table because we didn't get our OL trade?  Should've been us?

Jon Robinson is the GM, 1st year. Been happy until this questionable move. Though I'm not disappointed in Kelly and I know the line needs depth, I hate giving up on a player as physically gifted as DGB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:kendall and rishard are average as hell, andre is washed, i dont know anything about Tajae but ill take your word for it, and Delanie is great ofc. Im more concerned with mularkey being pretty terrible

Sharpe is a rook. He looks to be the best receiver out of these derelict orphans we have on our roster. He has looked pretty amazing in camp and played well when he was on the field last Saturday. He runs some of the cleanest routes and Mariota always seems to find him. Still unproven, but he's the big camp story right now.

I disagree about Matthews. I'm not sure this offense is the best fit for him, but I think he can shine on an offense that passes.

Quote:Jon Robinson is the GM, 1st year. Been happy until this questionable move. Though I'm not disappointed in Kelly and I know the line needs depth, I hate giving up on a player as physically gifted as DGB.

Front offices and coaches don't give up on that kind of talent unless something is going on behind the scene, and I mean something bad. You don't see this very often.

Run right at us 70 times. Roy Miller, Telvin Smith, Paul Poslusny, Myles Jack, Dante Fowler, Jared Odrick. Come at us, IDC.

Quote:Run right at us 70 times. Roy Miller, Telvin Smith, Paul Poslusny, Myles Jack, Dante Fowler, Jared Odrick. Come at us, IDC.

Looking forward to Henry running straight into an angry Roy Miller or Malik Jackson.

Rumor has it that Dorial was working secretly on a touchdown celebration that was so intense it would have surpassed the dab as the new worldwide sensation for the 2016 season.   Mularkey's investigation team was tipped off and he was having no part of it.  When finding out, he acted quickly and traded him for the first player he could find who had no known dance moves.  

When your best/only receiving target with any talent is a 32 year old tight end you know you've got problems.

I'm not sure why they're pandering to Mularkey's "smash mouth football" philosophy. It doesn't work in the NFL any more. Give your young quarterback some quality receiving options not some washed up running back and another questionable rookie running back. Look at what teams like the Jags, Bucs and Raiders have done for their QB's -

Jags gave Bortles a bunch of weapons: ARob, Lee, Hurns, Thomas, Yeldon, Ivory who were all drafted or signed after we picked Bortles.

The Bucs already have Martin, Sims, Evans, Jackson, Seferian-Jenkins.

The Raiders have given Carr the likes of Murray, Cooper, Crabtree & Walford plus a stacked defense.

This whole thing seems very Gene Smith: "I know better than everyone else, why has nobody else done this yet?!".

It's no wonder Smith's final hire was this clown as coach.

I'm not big on Mularkey, but smashmouth football does work. Look at the playoffs.

Quote:I'm not big on Mularkey, but smashmouth football does work. Look at the playoffs.
it definitely can work if you have more talent than they have at receiver if things get out of hand, or a really good scheme to get their guys open. They dont have either imo.

This isnt THAT big of a deal regardless, its not like they traded some world beater but they still need to get a great receiver somewhere so delanie doesnt have to do all the heavy lifting.

Quote:I'm not big on Mularkey, but smashmouth football does work. Look at the playoffs.

You need a very strong defense for it to work in this age though. Tennessee had the 12th best defense by yardage, but still allowed the 27th most points per game at 26.4. Jax allowed 28.

Seattle on the other hand allowed the least PPG at 17.3

KC 17.9

Carolina 19.2

The smashmouth style works, especially when it gets cold, but you need to be able to stop the other team from scoring as the philosophy is inherently low scoring in itself. Buffalo and Dallas are prime examples from last season. Both ran the ball well, Buffalo being the league rushing leader, Dallas 9th, but both failed to make the playoffs due to poor performance of their defenses.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:You need a very strong defense for it to work in this age though. Tennessee had the 12th best defense by yardage, but still allowed the 27th most points per game at 26.4. Jax allowed 28.

KC 17.9

Carolina 19.2

The smashmouth style works, especially when it gets cold, but you need to be able to stop the other team from scoring as the philosophy is inherently low scoring in itself. Buffalo and Dallas are prime examples from last season. Both ran the ball well, Buffalo being the league rushing leader, Dallas 9th, but both failed to make the playoffs due to poor performance of their defenses.
dallas didnt miss the playoffs cause of bad defense lol they missed it cause their QB and best receiver were injured.

I think one major key in the "smash mouth" debate is that the overall level of tackling has been poor in the NFL and is only getting worse.

When we play the Titans, missing tackles will be the difference between winning and losing.

Quote:dallas didnt miss the playoffs cause of bad defense lol they missed it cause their QB and best receiver were injured.
Yeah. But what I was meaning is despite that, they were still 9th in the league in rushing. Were clearly a run first team. But still couldn't score enough points to overcome their defense while playing that style.

Had Romo and Dez been healthy, they likely would have been a more pass oriented team and not in the "smashmouth" discussion
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:Yeah. But what I was meaning is despite that, they were still 9th in the league in rushing. Were clearly a run first team. But still couldn't score enough points to overcome their defense while playing that style.

Had Romo and Dez been healthy, they likely would have been a more pass oriented team and not in the "smashmouth" discussion
even with them healthy they still would have been run first they just would have had some semblance of balance

they didnt need great defense in 2014 but they did need to get a lot out of the run and be able to throw it if things got behind

The success rate for "smashmouth" football in the NFL is not good at all.  Not even remotely good.  Your roster has to be near perfect. You have to pretty much have the best defense and best running game in the NFL.  One or two teams a year can even sniff that.  

My guess is Mularkey wants to pass the ball (and will be forced to anyway just like all the other wannabe smashmouth teams).  I'm just not sure he knows how.

Quote:they didnt need great defense in 2014 but they did need to get a lot out of the run and be able to throw it if things got behind

You're right. And there in lies the problem for Tennessee. Dallas has the likes of Dez and Witten as safety nets if you need to throw. Tenn has Walker and that's it
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:You need a very strong defense for it to work in this age though. Tennessee had the 12th best defense by yardage, but still allowed the 27th most points per game at 26.4. Jax allowed 28.

KC 17.9

Carolina 19.2

Needing a defense isn't a newsflash. How many of the top passing teams made it to the playoffs last season?

Quote:Needing a defense isn't a newsflash. How many of the top passing teams made it to the playoffs last season?

3 of the top 10 from a quick glance.

5 of the top 10 rushing.

And Arizona falls into both categories.

My point wasn't that a strong running game gets you to the playoffs. It was that I don't think Tennessee has the defensive talent to use that style of offense right now. They'd benefit from a more balanced approach offensively. The one thing these top rushing teams in the playoffs had was the ability for a quick strike score if need be. I don't think Tennessee has that.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It's like you're trying to say that teams like Minnesota have to forget about players like Adrian Peterson if they are getting scored on. You use your most talented players in anyway you can, period.

I don't like the Titans' defense all that much either right now, but I do realize that they also stand to benefit from an offense that can run the ball. Last season, there was no running game, or even an offensive line for that matter. I still don't think the line looks all that great in pass protection, but if Mariota has more than two seconds, we're moving up.

We're still a good ways from thinking playoffs, but the team looks to have improved, so far anyway.