Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Training Camp Twitter Thread

Quote:I know its only 3 days in but, how does James Sample look? Providing any competition for Cyprien? 
I hope so. Haven't really heard anything either way. Only tweet I saw was Cyp was out of position and not in the right coverage. Gave up big play to Julius Thomas, which is bound to happen with JT in there, but the 1st 2 issues are alarming if its on a regular basis. Hasn't he been in this defense several years now? Coverage issues should not exist for a vet. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know its only 3 days in but, how does James Sample look? Providing any competition for Cyprien?

Haven't heard anything good or bad.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Haven't seen anything on Sample, but plenty of negative tweets regarding Cyp. Either that means that Sample is better because he's not standing out as being as bad as Cyp, or Sample is so bad that he's not even getting a shot to do anything of significance.

This is from yesterday, but I found it amusing. Odrick is quite a character. Pretty like-able dude. 

Mike DiRocco ESPN Staff Writer 
<p style="font-family:BentonSans, '-apple-system', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(108,109,111);">Jaguars DE Jared Odrick just went over to the stands and reminded fans that they can clap when the defense makes a play instead of groaning at an incompletion. "The defense is on our team, too!" he said.

Quote:Fowler is soooo quick!

Reminds me of Brackens on his get off.

I was thinking the same thing about Yannick.

'02

Quote:Right, he "had a few great statistical games". Except when you point out that the year he went for 200 on Houston he never had a 100 yard game before or after that. I said he was looking to be dominant and even said he had horrible QBs, but the point was that Allen Robinson is the better and more talented WR all around.

I don't wanna hijack the twitter thread. Moving on.

^^^^Doesn't want to hijack, brings up Blackmon in training camp thread...

Quote:I'm glad they did this. If Ramsey had a big head thinking he was dominant, Robinson certainly gave him a wake up call. But for Ramsey to compete with our WRs will help him greatly too. Gosh how nice is it to finally say that? OUR WRs are awesome.

I always thought some of the reasons early Mathis was really good was due to going against Jimmy Smith in practice everyday.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:^^^^Doesn't want to hijack, brings up Blackmon in training camp thread...

I didn't bring up Blackmon, Johnny Walker did. I'll tell him to quiet down next time so your feelings don't get hurt anymore.

Quote:This is from yesterday, but I found it amusing. Odrick is quite a character. Pretty like-able dude. 

Mike DiRocco ESPN Staff Writer 
<p style="font-family:BentonSans, '-apple-system', Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(108,109,111);">Jaguars DE Jared Odrick just went over to the stands and reminded fans that they can clap when the defense makes a play instead of groaning at an incompletion. "The defense is on our team, too!" he said.

I'm glad he said this. It's like fans only care about offense. Like at the scrimmage every year people groan if the offense doesn't move the chains...but how about our defense who just stopped them??!

Quote:Haven't seen anything on Sample, but plenty of negative tweets regarding Cyp. Either that means that Sample is better because he's not standing out as being as bad as Cyp, or Sample is so bad that he's not even getting a shot to do anything of significance.

I'm afraid Cyp, or the SS spot period is gonna be a weak spot. And exploited often.

Quote:I'm glad he said this. It's like fans only care about offense. Like at the scrimmage every year people groan if the offense doesn't move the chains...but how about our defense who just stopped them??!

Especially when we've seen how potent this offense can be. If our defense is stopping them, that's a great sign.

As many have mentioned, playing against each other will only make us better. I have to imagine that Blake having people in the secondary like Gipson will drastically help him with turnovers. Remember Gipson picked him off twice his rookie year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Makes me wonder if it's gonna force their hand eventually to throw Ramsey or even Jack back there. I hope not.

Quote:I'm afraid Cyp, or the SS spot period is gonna be a weak spot. And exploited often.

I think hating on Cyp is the trendy thing to do, just like gating LJ even though he wasn't that bad besides the last game.

It's been mentioned by a bunch of people, Cyp has basically played out of position his whole time here. This will be the first year he can truly be that box safety which he's better at. If Sample beats him out, great. But I don't think it's as much a liability as people want to make it.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Makes me wonder if it's gonna force their hand eventually to throw Ramsey or even Jack back there. I hope not.

Can we stop with the Ramsey at ANY safety spot? He's a corner here.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It's just not true that cyp has been playing "out of position".... And to imply that he was covering for our FS weakness is absolutely laughable.

He's been in the box plenty. Not like he has been playing corner FFS.

He makes over 100 tackles a year yet fails to make an impact more than a couple of times in his career.

He also missed an incredible amount of tackles IN THE BOX, taking poor angles. That's not the free safeties' fault.

There's a reason he is being pushed by a 4th round safety who had injury problems his first year.

The SS position, independent of our struggles elsewhere, needs to be upgraded. Whether cyp is the one that upgrades that position remains to be seen.

I think we will draft an offensive lineman and a strong safety in rounds 1-3 next year and joeckel and cyp walk into free agency.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I think hating on Cyp is the trendy thing to do, just like gating LJ even though he wasn't that bad besides the last game.

It's been mentioned by a bunch of people, Cyp has basically played out of position his whole time here. This will be the first year he can truly be that box safety which he's better at. If Sample beats him out, great. But I don't think it's as much a liability as people want to make it.

I'm not stating my thoughts based on what's "trendy" but just what I'm hearing has been going on so far.

Quote:Can we stop with the Ramsey at ANY safety spot? He's a corner here.

I'm right there with you, he's a corner. But if moving to SS was the best for the team, then I am just wondering if that is an option/likely scenario

Quote:I'm right there with you, he's a corner. But if moving to SS was the best for the team, then I am just wondering if that is an option/likely scenario

I think the only way Ramsey plays safety is if we're down to 3rd string at both spots. And even then I think we'd try to find a FA or maybe move McCray or Marshall there before Ramsey.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Can we stop with the Ramsey at ANY safety spot? He's a corner here.

Anyways, even if they did move him to safety, he'd be a free safety. Throwing him or Gipson in the box would be a tremendous waste of their skillsets.

Quote:Haven't seen anything on Sample, but plenty of negative tweets regarding Cyp. Either that means that Sample is better because he's not standing out as being as bad as Cyp, or Sample is so bad that he's not even getting a shot to do anything of significance.

Keep in mind it's what... just four days into camp?

The club still has a high opinion of Sample.  It's not like his Sample size has been very large, either.  Remember, he broke his arm and was only active 4 games last season (but did start two of those) as a rookie pushing a veteran.  So, I'd say no news is no news on that front.

Cyprien led the team with 21 missed tackles last season (according to Ryan O's count.)  I'd say the focus on Cyp is a sign this is make or break regardless of what second year Sample is doing.  If he's not progressing, it's likely Sample's turn.  Either way, there's a lot more practice before the season/preseason begins.

We'll see if Gipson's presence will have Cyp playing closer to the LOS, and if that has any positive impact.  If not, I think we'll be seeing more of Sample.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."