Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dennis Green passes at 67

Former Vikings and Cardinals coach Dennis Green passed away today at age 67. 

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If you wanna crown them, then crown them, but we left them off the hook

They ARE who we THOUGHT they were!

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

A very good coach.

Not great, but good.

Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with this year's roster.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:A very good coach.

Not great, but good.

Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with this year's roster.

The thing that jumps out about Dennis Green for me is he was unconventional.  He didn't do things by the book.   Green hit a Home Run with Randy Moss when the latter was focused at the task at hand.  A year later,  Green totally struck out with DE Dimitrius Underwood,  who would fit at least to some extent the Draft Bust thread you recently started.    Using a related baseball analogy,  Green didn't stress singles and sacrifice bunts.   He wanted to hit the ball out of the park.   Big plays by differential playmakers.    This strategy has plenty of rewards but its high risk.

Quote:  The thing that jumps out about Dennis Green for me is he was unconventional.  He didn't do things by the book.   Green hit a Home Run with Randy Moss when the latter was focused at the task at hand.  A year later,  Green totally struck out with DE Dimitrius Underwood,  who would fit at least to some extent the Draft Bust thread you recently started.    Using a related baseball analogy,  Green didn't stress singles and sacrifice bunts.   He wanted to hit the ball out of the park.   Big plays by differential playmakers.    This strategy has plenty of rewards but its high risk.
I seem to recall his teams were always talented on offense.  IIRC, Jake Reed, Todd Steussie, Korey Stringer, Matt Birk and Robert Smith were all drafted by him, in addition to Moss and Culpepper.  He could never find that absolute stud of a QB though.  He wasn't as bad as some of the other good coaches like Schottenheimer or Mora that got stuck with a few pedestrian QBs over the years (Krieg, Hebert).   

Quote:I seem to recall his teams were always talented on offense.  IIRC, Jake Reed, Todd Steussie, Korey Stringer, Matt Birk and Robert Smith were all drafted by him, in addition to Moss and Culpepper.  He could never find that absolute stud of a QB though.  He wasn't as bad as some of the other good coaches like Schottenheimer or Mora that got stuck with a few pedestrian QBs over the years (Krieg, Hebert).   

I think more than the QB position,  it was not having enough production on Defense that kept the Vikings from winning a Super Bowl when Dennis Green was there.   Warren Moon,  Randall Cunningham,  and Daunte Culpepper all had at least one highly productive season under Green in Minnesota.   You illustrated some of the impressive Offensive Talent that Green brought to the Vikings.   Despite all of this,  the Vikings weren't able to get over the top.   I'm even factoring in Gary Anderson's missed FG against the Falcons in the 1998 season NFC Championship Game.   If the Vikings had their Defense of the present or their Defense of the late 1960s / early 1970s when Green was there,  they would have likely won at least one Super Bowl.   Probably even more than that. 

RIP coach

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Not a great coach, but a very good offensive mind. From all accounts, a very nice and generous man, too.

RIP

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

He was one of my favorite coaches.  My he RIP.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My favorite coach.

RIP, he was a very passionate coach/person. 

Will always get a kick out of watching his post game interview.

Quote:   I think more than the QB position,  it was not having enough production on Defense that kept the Vikings from winning a Super Bowl when Dennis Green was there.   Warren Moon,  Randall Cunningham,  and Daunte Culpepper all had at least one highly productive season under Green in Minnesota.   You illustrated some of the impressive Offensive Talent that Green brought to the Vikings.   Despite all of this,  the Vikings weren't able to get over the top.   I'm even factoring in Gary Anderson's missed FG against the Falcons in the 1998 season NFC Championship Game.   If the Vikings had their Defense of the present or their Defense of the late 1960s / early 1970s when Green was there,  they would have likely won at least one Super Bowl.   Probably even more than that. 
It's strange because there was some decent defensive talent there too.  John Randle and Henry Thomas were a good DT pair.  Orlanda Thomas (?) was a FS with lots of range as I recall.  JDR at the end too.  You know, that defense they had under Jerry Burns in the late 1980s with Chris Doleman and Keith Millard along the DL and Joey Browner at S was a pretty good group, too.  

Would you put Green and Schottenheimer, Mora, and Chuck Knox in the same general category of head coach?  I think I would.  To me that's a pretty good category.

RIP coach Green.

Thanks for a hall of fame worthy rant, and a bunch of good football.  Sorry you couldn't get that one great Vikings team to the big one.

rip

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

RIP Nutty Professor.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato