Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dump Chad Henne

Quote:Carry a young 3rd qb to groom as your backup.

He replaces Henne whenever he's ready to.
This.

At this point next year or the year after, if you want to dump Henne for Allen, then you start to think about it.

Not now.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Gotta agree here. Henne is not the worst backup in the league. That being said, give Allen some pre season reps, if he looks like he can handle it, then you have a decision to make, especially if we can get something in return for Henne.

But I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as a backup as well.

Granted he's not the worst. That is, you can find a couple backups in this league who are actually worse, but that's beside the point. This team has developed a knack for succeeding by throwing deep, and yet that's not Henne's strong suit. With that said, Bradon Allen made a living in college throwing the deep ball, and that's every bit his strong suit. From everything I've read and seen, this 6th round QB can play, and he's a better fit for this offense than Henne.

Henne is among a few players I feel no longer belong on this roster as I feel like he'd practically stall the offense should he enter a game. Alualu is another wherein I'd like to see 7th round pick Jonathan Woodard beat him out for the backup LDE role. For similar reasoning I'm looking forward to last year's UDFA Corey Grant to beat out DRob for a spot. The others are the Safeties aside from Gipson and Sample. I'm sort of rooting for the rookie UDFA Jarrod Wilson to win a backup S spot.

I'd include Marcedes, but it appears they want to let him play out this season before retiring. At least he is still a fine blocking TE, and as a receiver can be dangerous in giraffe-mode. I guess part of me loves a good youth movement when we're talking about talented youth.

As a side note, I'm interested in getting a look at an intriguing rookie UDFA CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun as I'm wondering if he might have what it takes to beat out both Gratz and Marshall.

'02

Quote:This.

At this point next year or the year after, if you want to dump Henne for Allen, then you start to think about it.

Not now.

Agree.  You rush it, you can get burned big time.

Maybe he's ready at some point, but I highly doubt it would be at the beginning of the season.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:If it comes down to a choice of keeping a 3rd QB on the active roster (to protect Brandon Allen) and releasing a promising young player like Michael Bennett or Nick Marshall, I say just keep 2 QBs and the odd man out should be Henne.

Bortles hasn't missed a snap since he took over as the starter. Dedicating TWO players to the possibility of Bortles being hurt is not wise. And what if Allen actually give us the best chance to win if Blake gets injured? He is certainly more mobile than Henne.

Then let's look at the future. If Allen shows he can play NFL QB, Henne will not be here in 2017. Why not try to trade Henne for a 7th round pick? There would be no salary cap hit and Allen can benefit from more snaps in camp.

But what if Bortles does get hurt? You then want to leave running the offense on the shoulders of a rookie picked in the 6th round?

If he is clearly better then Henne during preseason, let Henne go.. What value do u get for keeping him? He has reached his ceiling.. He is not good... I guess he have experience working with him.. But they bad experiences.. Lol... You have to know when to throw the fish back..

Quote:But what if Bortles does get hurt? You then want to leave running the offense on the shoulders of a rookie picked in the 6th round?

We've already decided that we aren't winning the Superb Owl with Bortles this year anyway, it makes no difference who the back up QB is.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:If it comes down to a choice of keeping a 3rd QB on the active roster (to protect Brandon Allen) and releasing a promising young player like Michael Bennett or Nick Marshall, I say just keep 2 QBs and the odd man out should be Henne. 

Bortles hasn't missed a snap since he took over as the starter.  Dedicating TWO players to the possibility of Bortles being hurt is not wise.  And what if Allen actually give us the best chance to win if Blake gets injured?  He is certainly more mobile than Henne.

Then let's look at the future.  If Allen shows he can play NFL QB, Henne will not be here in 2017.  Why not try to trade Henne for a 7th round pick?  There would be no salary cap hit and Allen can benefit from more snaps in camp.

We're protecting Brandon Allen?  I don't think so.  Odds are he gets cut and possibly lands on the practice squad without any concern about losing a coveted roster spot. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Granted he's not the worst. That is, you can find a couple backups in this league who are actually worse, but that's beside the point. This team has developed a knack for succeeding by throwing deep, and yet that's not Henne's strong suit. With that said, Bradon Allen made a living in college throwing the deep ball, and that's every bit his strong suit. From everything I've read and seen, this 6th round QB can play, and he's a better fit for this offense than Henne.

Henne is among a few players I feel no longer belong on this roster as I feel like he'd practically stall the offense should he enter a game. Alualu is another wherein I'd like to see 7th round pick Jonathan Woodard beat him out for the backup LDE role. For similar reasoning I'm looking forward to last year's UDFA Corey Grant to beat out DRob for a spot. The others are the Safeties aside from Gipson and Sample. I'm sort of rooting for the rookie UDFA Jarrod Wilson to win a backup S spot.

I'd include Marcedes, but it appears they want to let him play out this season before retiring. At least he is still a fine blocking TE, and as a receiver can be dangerous in giraffe-mode. I guess part of me loves a good youth movement when we're talking about talented youth.

As a side note, I'm interested in getting a look at an intriguing rookie UDFA CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun as I'm wondering if he might have what it takes to beat out both Gratz and Marshall.
You've been banging this gong for years now.  We get it.  You don't like Henne.  Unfortunately for you, I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.  The team sees value in him whether you do or not.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Every year we have a late rd draft pick that some people, for some reason, think other teams covet.

If teams were coveting a guy for their 53 man roster, he wouldn't have been available in the 6th rd in the first place.

Common sense people.

Next year when Allen is ready...

For this season, if Blake got injured(Touching a solid oak table here) who would be more capable to step in and run the offense without him(As in run plays, protections etc etc) Henne or Allen?

Its Henne.Very simple.

Plus, it's up to the 3rd guy to earn his keep.  Earn the backup job and make the decision easy.

If they don't, you can't blindly cling to him in prayer that he'll eventually work out some day.

Can't think of any backup we've let go so far that should be here instead of Henne.

To be the man, you have to beat the man.  Even if that's just Chad Henne.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Blake Bortles loves Chad Henne. I'd keep him for that reason alone.
Shock the world

Quote:Blake Bortles loves Chad Henne. I'd keep him for that reason alone.

....not that there's anything wrong with that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM by jaxjags625.)

Quote:....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bros before Hoes
Shock the world

Quote:I am reluctant to keep a 6th round rookie as the PRIMARY backup to Bortles.

I have no problem keeping a guy like Allen as the 3rd QB.

I share the OP's concern over letting a promising young player at another position just walk.  Were it up to me, Alualu would be gone and Bennett would stay.

But I would be quite reluctant to have a rookie QB be this team's primary backup, especially when it appears this team is finally in position to compete for a playoff spot. 

This.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I've got no problem keeping Chenne until we develop a young QB behind him. Look, we all know he sucks, but if Bortles goes down we are done anyway.

Ideally, our roster will get deep enough where we can keep drafting QBs in the mid rounds and hope we strike gold.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Since I'm expecting playoffs then I want Henne as my backup. Not a 6th rounder.

If Henne is starting for the team at any point during the season I'd say the playoffs would pretty much slip out of the Jaguars' grasp.

If Bortles isn't healthy enough to play the whole season this team probably isn't good enough yet to carry Henne.

If Caldwell thinks the rookie has real promise then he definitely needs to keep him on the roster, whether that means dumping Henne for another roster spot, or holding on to him for essentially no reason at all doesn't really make a difference.

In case people have forgotten, Henne was the last QB to have a 3 game win streak for this franchise.

Henne having to starting for a few games wouldn't doom the season.

Quote:In case people have forgotten, Henne was the last QB to have a 3 game win streak for this franchise.

Henne having to starting for a few games wouldn't doom the season.

This.

Especially if we are making a playoff run and right in the thick of it.